UKC

could you hurt yourself falling off a boulder problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jim hughes 16 Nov 2013
Very impressed with the recent gritstone action.

Anyhow, I have climbed boulder problems that i have hurt myself falling off. If so why dont they get e.grades. I severly hurt my thigh falling of a boulder problem, is that worth e1 or 2. Once I actually hurt my right arm falling off a V4 believe it or not, could I please claim E9, It would be the hardest thing I will ever climb.

jim hughes aged 31 and 11 months
 xplorer 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

Jim Hughes lonely and board
jim hughes 16 Nov 2013
In reply to xplorer: Up before the wife with nothing to do.
 Run_Ross_Run 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:
Still on the beers?
jim hughes 16 Nov 2013
In reply to xplorer: I also thought you were out walking every weekend
jim hughes 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: Im in Sweden it an hour ahead so this is an early morning rather than a late night.
jim hughes 16 Nov 2013
In reply to xplorer: also, it is spelt "bored"
 xplorer 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

No working today I'm afraid, but it's my last week until may 2014, so I'm quite happy about that. 2 months in Scotland, 2 months in France and Italy, and 1 month in Austria.

Happy bored day mate
 xplorer 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

Ps my life style would have you puking pure adrenaline jim

jim hughes 16 Nov 2013
And so the bait has been st for UKC night fishing line, I will be back to check later if I have had a bite. Now I can go out and enjoy my days snowmobiling whilst you lot talk a big bag of shit about whatever you do.

remember that any thing you say about this topic is just backing up the fact!

Enjoy
 Snot 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes: My worst climbing related injury to date was a golf ball sized lump on the back of my head after falling off Captain Hook at Stanage.
 Choss 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:

"Could you hurt yourself falling off a boulder Problem?"

Not if its on gritstone. Nowhere does it outcrop high enough.

Its Frictional Properties are so good if you do fall off, youre doing something wrong.

If youre still worried about hurting yourself, i believe the trend is to wait Until it Snows, bury the bottom Two thirds of the route or Problem Under snow, make the one move to the top, then Pretend youve Climbed it. I think this is called snowballing (Although Snowballing actually is a rather nasty sexual act some people are into).

If there is no snow handy, you can still negate the imaginary Fear of hurting yourself by using a sissy mat.

If However, youre bouldering on real rock, ie. Limestone, then yes it can Reach Heights where you can hurt yourself. Quite Badly in fact.
abseil 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:
>...whilst you lot talk a big bag of shit about whatever you do... remember that any thing you say about this topic is just backing up the fact!

I don't quite get your posts on this thread. You started with a good question, but then hurled abuse later.

Anyway I'll answer your OP. Very sorry to hear you hurt yourself falling off a boulder problem. But I wouldn't give them e.grades because people can also hurt themselves badly by falling down a step or two or even on flat ground.
Removed User 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:
Can I give my stairs at home an E rating? Pitch 2 is particularly steep.
 Andes 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:
> (In reply to xplorer) Up before the wife with nothing to do.

If you'd stayed in bed with her, you might have found something to do!

A guy was killed bouldering about ten years at ago at Aconcagua base camp. The boulder rolled over on top of him. As someone points out, even stairs can be dangerous!
 Only a hill 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes:
A friend of mine broke her leg in three places thanks to a bouldering fall. It wasn't even a highball...
adam11 16 Nov 2013
Who was the bloke who (almost) pefected the technique of running down very steep slabs? I believe it ended in tears. I've a feeling he was one of the Dixon/Popp/Gibson crowd from Stoke, back in the late 80's
 didntcomelast 16 Nov 2013
In reply to jim hughes: I managed to break my ankle in two places falling off an indoor boulder problem onto a 2' thick crash mat. Very embarrassing .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...