UKC

Climbing Technology axes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlanLittle 18 Nov 2013
I'm looking for an axe for general alpine use, with my main interest being overcoming inconvenient bits of snow & ice that block my way to or from rock routes.

I had been looking at the Grivel Airtech Evolution as a nice but expensive option, technical enugh to not immediately have to replace if if I do decide to start doing the odd AD-ish mixed route.

Then I noticed that one of my local shops has the Climbing Technology Alpine Tour, which looks pretty much like a clone of the Grivel - similarly T-rated - at less than half the price.

Any experience with this axe? My only previous knowledge of Climbing Technology's gear is through my mate belaying me with a Click Up, which seems to work given that I'm not dead.
 d_b 18 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

There's a review here, which seems fairly positive: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3300

Choss 18 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

Dont Know about the axe, but ive got a cheapo CT galaxy helmet. Seems as good as any Other. Light, comfy, CE and UIAA rated. I also use it as my cycle helmet.

I reckon CT Kit gives good Value for money.
molly2202 18 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: Yep, bought some last year for Winter days in The Lakes - Great buy, wouldn't hesitate to recomend them at all.

Feel great in the hand, make sure you add some grip tape, and they are awesome!
Hi,

I don't know much about the Alpine Tour, but you've already been given the link to the best and, to my knowledge, only review on it.

I can say few things about Climbing Technology though. I don't work for them, I don't sell their axes, I'm not in any way affiliated with their UK distributor. All I can say is that they're really nice guys to deal with. Extremely serious and committed to what they are doing. They keep coming up with clever, innovative and alternative ideas, as others have already noted, keeping en eye on cost delivering excellent value for money.

Nic
 TobyA 18 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Yep, really nowt wrong with it. With that sort of axe, I feel to a great extent an axe is an axe. It is a welded head rather than forged - this theoretically is a possible weak point but I've never heard of anyone breaking an axe head like that. I wonder if anyone ever has?
 mmmhumous 18 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

The Axe works fine and is a great bargain.
 Cameron94 18 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: I've got one as my general mountaineering axe and for that sort of use I think you can't go far wrong with it.

It's nice in the hand for walking and has enough curve that you don't pulverize your knuckles daggering. As someone else has said I would tape it up if you do go for it.
BananaSoreen 19 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: I have the fly hooks. on there second season, no issues what so ever apart from I cant find anywhere where i can replace the picks. Anyone help?
 Cameron94 19 Nov 2013
In reply to dunbarbiker: Tiso used to have them.

If not call up climbingtech's uk distributor and they'll try and help you out. They're a helpful bunch I've found!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...