UKC

Stud walls in the kitchen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 21 Nov 2013
We’re moving to a new house. We are thinking of rearranging the kitchen, this would involve putting up a stud wall; ideally it would support the weight of a kitchen cabinet, is it possible to DIY easily?
 DancingOnRock 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: yes. The hardest part is skimming with plaster afterwards.
 MattJP 21 Nov 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Or you could tape and joint the boards, thats easier.
In reply to goldmember: I've just put up a stud wall for our bathroom. not that hard at all. just make sure you measure twice and cut once! and use 400 centres for the studs for extra strength.
 winhill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

what are you going to attach the cabinet to?
craggyjim 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember: I'd advise using pattresses to provide something to fix into. Panels of plywood or OSB fixed between the uprights that you plasterboard over the top off. Cover a large area and you can be sure of having something to fix into.
 krikoman 21 Nov 2013
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to goldmember)
>
> what are you going to attach the cabinet to?

I'd imagine the new wall.

Make sure you attach to the studs not the plasterboard
JMGLondon 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:
I'm thinking about doing something similar - decent thread here
http://community.screwfix.com/threads/advice-needed-on-kitchen-stud-wall-su...
 nniff 21 Nov 2013
In reply to goldmember:

Some friends of ours moved into a newly built house. A few weeks after they moved in there was a house-shaking crash from the kitchen as the cupboard contining the china detached from the stud wall to which was inadequately fixed. I believe that correct re-installation involved placing pieces of plywood in the partition.
 winhill 21 Nov 2013
In reply to krikoman:
> (In reply to winhill)
> [...]
>
> I'd imagine the new wall.
>
>
> Make sure you attach to the studs not the plasterboard

So would you space the studs according to the fixings for the cabinet?

A 2" stud doesn't leave much margin for error.
 csw 21 Nov 2013
In reply to craggyjim:
> (In reply to goldmember) I'd advise using pattresses to provide something to fix into. Panels of plywood or OSB fixed between the uprights that you plasterboard over the top off. Cover a large area and you can be sure of having something to fix into.

Definitely do this - You can't depend on the studs being where you want them and under no circumstances should you load the boards - also you should skim the whole wall - Taping and filling the joints is really only half a job, and the thing's going to be up a long time, hopefully.

Fraser 21 Nov 2013
In reply to csw:

Agreed, pattressing is the way to go. It's way more flexible and gives you some construction tolerance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...