UKC

SPOTY: It's that time again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 26 Nov 2013
Short list is announced today.

I suspect it is Murray's to lose, with Farah and Froome making up the rest of the top three. A few women that should be on the short list include Christine Ohurougu and Non Stanford, although I suspect the nominating journo's will barely of heard of Stanford and some golfer will get the nod instead.

Who else should be on the list? Not sure if it is 10 or 12 this year.
Party Boy 26 Nov 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

> Short list is announced today.

> A few women that should be on the short list include Christine Ohurougu.....

I'm not convinced that somebody who missed doping tests because she 'forgot' is really that deserving. Okay, it was a while ago but she broke the rules....

Chris the Tall 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Party Boy:

Wasn't Mark cavendish on two missed tests at the time he won ?

OP The New NickB 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Party Boy:

She missed three, it is well known that it was a problem with the system, which has since been changed.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Nov 2013

Andy Murray by a country mile.
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

> Andy Murray by a country mile.

Well yes, but that isn't what I asked.
 Enty 26 Nov 2013

It's got to be Murray although I'd love Mo to get it.
Can't see anyone else getting it especially after the last few years cycling overload.

E
In reply to Enty:

I agree, but who else should be nominated? The award is about more than just the winner. Becky James would be another who 'should' make the short list, but probably won't.
 Dangerous Dave 26 Nov 2013

Steve Peat!!
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

He won't be of course.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Nov 2013

So a thread about people no-one has heard of?

> So a thread about people no-one has heard of?

Not at all, it is a given that Murray will be on the list and more than likely win it, but who else should be on the list? I expect that you have heard of at least a dozen sports people. Who do you think has achieved something significant in British sport this year, in addition to Murray, Farah and Froome.

I haven't given the name of anyone obscure, all three ladies are world champions in major sports.
 tim000 26 Nov 2013

> So a thread about people no-one has heard of?

i`ve heard of them all so far .
In reply to Enty:

> Can't see anyone else getting it especially after the last few years cycling overload.

It is interesting how the perception of a sport is so key in this. My Dutch friends were always amazed that Cavendish didn't win SPOTY the years he won 5 and 6 stages on the Tour (of course he eventually did win it).

I suspect this year the Dutch award will go to Bauke Mollema for coming 6th in the Tour and the concept of NOT giving this award to someone who actually won the thing would be completely bizarre to a Dutch audience. This is the ultimate individual sport prize as far as they are concerned (perhaps a hatrick in the World Cup final might beat it).

But it will be Murray easily, and he does deserve it. Froome can aim for next year.

Alan

Calling triathlon and track cycling 'major sports' is stretching it a bit.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Lots of TV coverage, lots of participation (cycling generally, but most runners don't compete on the track either), big crowds for events. These are not minority sports.
 Cardi 26 Nov 2013

In a year where a Briton hadn't won Wimbledon and the Tour de France, you'd expect Leigh Halfpenny to be up there - British and Irish Lions player of the series on a successful tour, 6N player of the year and nominated for IRB player of the year.
 tony 26 Nov 2013

Ben Ainslie, although winning the America's Cup for America might count against him.
In reply to tony:

It is a startling story, that I admit I had forgotten when writing the OP, I hope he gets a nomination.
In reply to Cardi:

I did think a Lion, but didnt really follow it close enough to comment with much expertise.

Has to be 1st Murray, 2nd Farah - wonder if Murray will turn up this year

Froome will be on the list but I doubt he'll get many votes - does anyone regard him as British ?

Agree that Stafford and Ohurougu will be there - can't think of any other women, but they may add one or two to balance things out.

Nick Matthews - squash world champ for the third time - must be there, and didn't a British golfer win a major?

Ben Ainslie definitely - maybe it was for an American team, but the fact that he made such a difference implies he basically taught them how to sail !

Tony McCoy for 4000 winners. Gareth Bale perhaps. Stuart Broad for that spell at Durham, Jimmy Anderson for longevity
In reply to Chris the Tall:

If Becky James doesn't get a nomination she will wonder what she has to do to get one.

> If Becky James doesn't get a nomination she will wonder what she has to do to get one.

Win at the Olympics

Rachel Atherton is another possible

Just found this shortlist which includes Atherton but not James

http://totalwomenscycling.com/news/rachel-atherton-nominated-for-bt-actionw...
 Tony the Blade 26 Nov 2013

It would appear that ALL the bookies have Murray down as the winner already, odds of 1/50 anyone!!!

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Yep, who is going to win isn't very interesting, who will be nominated much more so. I correctly guessed 11 out of 12 last year, my natural disdain for golf let me down, but this year is much more open in terms of nominations, if not the winner.
 Banned User 77 26 Nov 2013

> She missed three, it is well known that it was a problem with the system, which has since been changed.

Not sure about that.. she was known to be fairly unprofessional and late..

Which is why her transformation has been so impressive. I went to a talk by UKA's elite performance director and he spoke a lot about her sudden change in attitude.

For me she was wrong, but punished and the matter should be put to bed. She's improved as a professional and seen the gains, She's world class and led the GB team well.
 GrahamD 26 Nov 2013

Ben Ainslie has a shout at being on the list
In reply to IainRUK:

That doesn't change the fact that there were problems with the system and it has since been changed.
In reply to The New NickB: I know.. the system is still pretty harsh on athletes..

However many others didn't miss 3 tests.. she missed the tests through her own inadequacies that she has since rectified.
In reply to IainRUK:

My understanding is that athletes now take the system far more seriously as a result of the example that was made of her. For example, put down where you are going to be first thing in the morning rather than mid-day.

Also, weren't UK athletics well ahead of the curve in their strictness, not to mention the frequency of out-of-comp testing. Didn't I read that only 1 of the 9 Jamaicans who recently failed tests was caught out of comp. Or as someone put it, 8 of them didn't just fail drugs tests, they failed IQ tests as well.

Yeah, we do have a good system but we are starting to see a shift where drug testers are our friends.. its a UKA pride issue that we are clean.

At a recent event we were reminded that they are always on the phone, any substances we aren't sure about, there to help the athletes rather than catch us out..

So we have lists of websites, numbers to call. Even the other day I spotted something in a medication and rapidly had it checked out, it is now off the list but I switched medication anyway.

Getting caught now is really is your own fault.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Nov 2013

> If Becky James doesn't get a nomination she will wonder what she has to do to get one.

Be well-known.

Ian bell and Hannah Cockcroft probably the most surprising names on the list, though it's good to see a disabled athlete getting recognition in a non-Olympic year, and Bell was the most consistent player in the ashes winning side

> Be well-known.

She is a three time world champion in a sport that gets lots of TV and other media coverage, she even has a famous boyfriend.

It was a poor Ashes winning side though, I'm a cricket fan, but there are others I would prefer to be on the list.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Nov 2013

But I still haven't heard of her, and I have a more than average interest in sport.
 mwr72 26 Nov 2013

Guy Martin.
In reply to mwr72:

> Guy Martin.

Surely a decent racer, but not the best in the country, nevermind the world!

> But I still haven't heard of her, and I have a more than average interest in sport.

Everyone thinks they are better than average
 mwr72 26 Nov 2013

Definitely the best personality though!
 Blue Straggler 26 Nov 2013
In reply to mwr72:

> Definitely the best personality though!

My only exposure to Guy Martin was when I saw the documentary "Close to the Edge", and his personality seemed sorely lacking (sour grapes about the penalty seconds, making him look a very sore loser).
 mwr72 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I'm not surprised about the sour grapes!

Watch a couple of his video's on youtube, he's not all sour grapes, far from it, especially when away from racing. He has done a couple of "Dibna-esque" series.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guy+martin+how+britain+worked&a...

In reply to mwr72:

> I'm not surprised about the sour grapes!

The rules were the same for everyone and presumably well publicised. His petulance implied that he thought he'd been victimised. I didn't like him, not the biased "hero worship" of the documentary (it painted the successful racer, who happened to be financially more comfortable than Guy, as some sort of "rich-kid villain", rather like how Prost was demonised in the Senna documentary for having had the temerity to use tactics instead of luck and instinct, to win races )
 mwr72 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Wasn't it something silly like 1/4 mph too fast though? I'd be cheesed off too.
 BelleVedere 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> It is interesting how the perception of a sport is so key in this. My Dutch friends were always amazed that Cavendish didn't win SPOTY the years he won 5 and 6 stages on the Tour (of course he eventually did win it).

> I suspect this year the Dutch award will go to Bauke Mollema for coming 6th in the Tour and the concept of NOT giving this award to someone who actually won the thing would be completely bizarre to a Dutch audience. This is the ultimate individual sport prize as far as they are concerned (perhaps a hatrick in the World Cup final might beat it).

shouldn't they be giving it to vos then - given 3 Giro stages - a points jersey and a world champions jersey
In reply to BelleVedere:

You forgot to mention she's also world champ at cyclocross, won flech wallone and the tour of Flanders, road World Cup and even a few mountain bike races.

Re who... I think it has to be Murray.. for me he's the clear winner this year. Thought Halfpenny could get the Welsh vote..
In reply to mwr72:

> Wasn't it something silly like 1/4 mph too fast though? I'd be cheesed off too.

As I said - the rules were the same for everyone.
 wynaptomos 27 Nov 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

> Re who... I think it has to be Murray.. for me he's the clear winner this year. Thought Halfpenny could get the Welsh vote..

Why? Does everyone vote on those lines? I don't think so

Halfpenny's had a fantastic year but surely Murray's done something really special, not done for 70-odd years.

Chris the Tall 27 Nov 2013
In reply to wynaptomos:

It should be Murray by a mile, but lots of people seem to hate him for being Scottish, so it could get political. Mind you, those sort of people are unlikely to vote for Farah, or Ohurughu, or even Halfpenny.
 GrahamD 27 Nov 2013

I agree that in any sensible system Nick Matthews should be there - but I'm not holding my breath !

For cricket, Bell ought to have as big a shout as Broad or Anderson (except the personality bit, of course )
 GrahamD 27 Nov 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

As expected, Squash misses out again !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...