UKC

Mammut serenity 8.7mm, anyone used it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lisa 01 Dec 2013
Looking for a very light, thin rope for red pointing/ on sighting longer sport routes and thinking of buying one. Would like to hear peoples opinion on how good it is and also what device they used owing to its thin diameter.

Thanks!
 3 Names 01 Dec 2013
In reply to lisa:
ive got an 80m one. I think its great, used it in Kalymnos for exactly the kind of climbing you described.
Its very light, nice to handle and doesnt stretch too much for a thin rope.
Its fine with a grigri 2.
Hard to know yet but it probably will wear faster than thicker ropes but thats probably to be expected.
I would definitely use a thicker work horse rope for working routes though
Post edited at 19:18
Wiley Coyote2 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Vince McNally:

Is it suitable for use as a half rope for trad? I don't seem to do much trad these days so it seems a bit of a luxury to buy a special rope, especially as half ropes are so pricey compared to singles.
OP lisa 01 Dec 2013

Thanks for replying, it's on the Christmas list!
 Aigen 01 Dec 2013
In reply to lisa:

Good rope but a tip from me is if you are redpointing with it and will be taking alot of falls at the same place on a route use a dmm revolver biner as it saves the rope alot of wear.
 Jonny2vests 01 Dec 2013

> Hard to know yet but it probably will wear faster than thicker ropes but thats probably to be expected.

No doubt about it, I barely got 18 months out of my 8.9 serenity.
 Jonny2vests 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Aigen:

... And never EVER top rope with it.
 3 Names 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Yes
In reply to lisa:

I wouldn't use it as a 'workhorse' rope but if you are more of a 'clean onsight' leader it's superb.
 UKC Forums 02 Dec 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 UKB Shark 02 Dec 2013
In reply to lisa:

I had a serenity five years ago and it wore out really quickly. If they haven't changed it to last better then then quite frankly I think it is a disgrace they still sell it. This is in marked contrast the Revelation which is extraordinarily well wearing for a thin rope.
 phil64 02 Dec 2013
In reply to lisa:
8.7 serenity is the best rope single/half or twin rope that I have ever used... Just used the 50m one for a whole alpine guiding season , down the wall and at the crag. Never had a thin rope which has been so good, even after clients have cramponed all over it it still looks mint.
HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED
Post edited at 14:17
OP lisa 03 Dec 2013
In reply to phil64:

Thanks everyone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...