UKC

Cadshaw Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Turbo tommy 02 Dec 2013
Is the cadshaw quarry listed on the UKC database the same as the one you walk past on the way to fairy buttress/cadshaw crag ( from the A666 ). The pics don't quite seem to match what I can see there, and it definitely ovrgrown?

Assuming I am correct and this is a different quarry, does anyone have a topo guide or names of routes for the quarry on the way to fairy buttress? If not then should I name/claim them until someone else says they did it first
 csw 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Turbo tommy:

just checked my Lancs guide and there are several quarries - The first one you come to is the Small Quarry, which is more of a collection of boulder problems than routes, Then there's the Main Quarry, by the final hairpin bend before you cross the stream to get to Cadshaw Castle - then there are a couple more quarried walls to the right of the main wall, and one more on the opposite side of the stream.

If you're climbing a lot in Lancs then I'd definitely recommend getting the lancs rock guidebook from the BMC - The current edition isn't as good as the first, because you can't bivi under it, and also a couple of crags have been dropped, but it's still pretty comprehensive. I wouldn't be claiming any new routes until I'd checked it anyway
OP Turbo tommy 02 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Aha, I seem to just be missing the guidebook! From what you're saying I think it is the small quarry that I am talking about, whereas the one on the UKC database is the 'main' quarry, which is so overgrown I didn't even think there could be any real climbing there.
 Calder 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Turbo tommy:

I was there a couple of months back and a lot of it was relatively(!) clean. If it's properly dry most of the muck should brush off fairly easily and any greenery should be small and easily removed en-route.

It should make sense with the guidebook and topo - it's dead obvious from the path. There's a new guide currently being completed although when it'll be on sale I'm not sure - I don't think it's imminent just yet...

Calder 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Turbo tommy:

I've just realised you're after bouldering. There's a topo here:

http://www.ukbouldering.com/wiki/index.php/File:Cadshaw_Small.pdf
OP Turbo tommy 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Calder:

The link on the bouldering website is broken.

I managed to get a quick look at a friend's guide ( not sure how it managed to escape my notice that he has been using this guide for a good six months...), and it looks as though most of the climbs are just tiny variations of the obvious lines.
 robin mueller 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Calder:

> There's a new guide currently being completed although when it'll be on sale I'm not sure - I don't think it's imminent just yet...

If you mean the Lancs bouldering guidebook, then it won't be too long now. No idea about the BMC guide, though that will focus mainly on routes.

Calder 05 Dec 2013
In reply to Turbo tommy:

I have a copy on file, drop me an email if you want me to send it over. But yeah - pretty much as per the guide, only with pics.
 Calder 05 Dec 2013
In reply to robin mueller:

I didn't know there was a bouldering guide in the pipeline too. I'll start saving up...
In reply to Turbo tommy:

If you mean the Red Wall it is further down the hill from the Small Quarry. Some clips here form a few years ago

vimeo.com/67633538#t=115s
 robin mueller 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Turbo tommy:

I blogged about Cadshaw recently, might be of interest to you...

http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/cadshaw/
 Calder 30 Dec 2013
The new guide looks great! And I think I'll make Reservoir Wall my summer project...
Post edited at 10:39
 robin mueller 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Calder:

Thanks! Glad you like how it's looking - very nearly finished now...

Reservoir Wall is a fun location - it's a surreal feeling doing DWS in Lancashire!
 Dauphin 31 Dec 2013

Where is Reservoir wall? Dam end?

D

robin mueller 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

Near the pay and display car park for Lester Mill - you can see the approach details on the last page of the sample pages: http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/sample-pages/

If you look on the googlemap satellite view, there is a chain of three islands near the shore. That's the spot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...