UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: What's Available - Simple Belay Devices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 05 Dec 2013
Belay Devices Montage, 4 kbHere is a round-up of currently available belay devices. This is not a gear review, but we have listed simple belay devices with the blurb from the manufacturers here.

The belay devices shown are not auto locking or assisted locking, and do not have 'Guide modes' for bringing up two seconds. They are simple devices akin to the traditional sticht plate. They all take two ropes with the exception of the Edelrid Jul, which is a single rope device.

Looking for a new belay device? Thinking of buying your climbing partner a Christmas present? This list of belay devices might give you a helping hand.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5958

jimtitt 05 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

It´s spelt Sticht.
 Jonny2vests 05 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
Wow, 17 quid for the worst belay device ever invented. I'm amazed WC still make VC Pro considering its now fairly widely known reputation for sticky, jammy & snatchy feeding.

I wonder if my post will get pulled.
Post edited at 21:42
 jezb1 05 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Can't beat the DMM Bug as a simple belay device
 martinph78 05 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Zero-G make a good, simple device with the best name of the bunch ;P

The Zero-G Spot is only £8.50. I've had mine since I started climbing and have always been happy with it.

http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/climbing-c120/belay-devices-c222/zero-g-spot-...
 MikaelGlazier 05 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Just a quick question does ne1 really use a traditional sticht plate any more? All I see at climbing walls these days is people with fany GRiGri's etc, cant remember when I last saw a sticht plate

Reidy 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hmm, surely the Black Diamond ATC is more simple than the ATC XP.

And cheaper
 Jonny2vests 06 Dec 2013
In reply to MikaelGlazier:
> Just a quick question does ne1 really use a traditional sticht plate any more? All I see at climbing walls these days is people with fany GRiGri's etc, cant remember when I last saw a sticht plate

Sticht plates and cosmic arresters are rare (because the devices have been superseded by better design), but most people don't use a Grigri / mechanical device over a simple friction plate.
Post edited at 04:41
 Alpenglow 06 Dec 2013
In reply to MikaelGlazier: Designs evolve and improve with time.

Alkis 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Plus, I've had the wire pop on two of them, it's far too flimsy.
 Jonny2vests 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Alkis:

What's flimsy Alkis?
 andrewmc 06 Dec 2013
I have seen them at the wall occasionally, and I haven't been climbing that long (18 months?)
Post edited at 15:58
 Jonny2vests 06 Dec 2013
In reply to Alkis:

Oh I see, the retainer.
 andrewgraham 07 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

The CAMP Shell is 'deceitfully' simple.
Deceptively - perhaps?
 Alkis 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Yeah, the retainer, I've dropped two VC Pro devices, as the wire popped, having been squished on my side while leading. The ATC-XP has a much sturdier retainer.
 Choss 09 Dec 2013

> Just a quick question does ne1 really use a traditional sticht plate any more?

Yes. I still use a Sprung one. cheap, reliable, doesnt lock up, but can be a bit snatchy when Belaying Someone on Sports routes, but not too bad.
 Andy Say 09 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

The old sprung Sticht plate is great - slick when you need it to be but when the spring compresses quite grabby.
 cornishlee 09 Dec 2013
In reply to jezb1:
> Can't beat the DMM Bug as a simple belay device

Amazing. I've had mine since the nineties. You'd have thought by now the design would have been improved upon but apparently not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...