UKC

Insurance for Ski Mountaineering Racing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NickBrown 06 Dec 2013
I'm planning to do the Patrouille des Glaciers ski mountaineering race next May.
For most of my previous ski mountaineering/touring trips I've used BMC Insurance.
But I notice that it excludes competitive winter sports.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/r/downloads/Policy%20Document.pd...
Section 4.F.III in General Exclusions.

We will not be liable to make any payment under
this Policy where:
4. any Claim is Due To:
F. Excluded sports and activities
You taking part in any of the following while
on a Journey:
III. competitive winter sports

Which I believe would meaning that I would not be covered when competing in the race.
This is somewhat disappointing as the BMC seems to recently been keen to promote Ski Mountaineer ing racing, with several race reports appearing on their website.
Being in Switzerland, where rescue and medical costs are high, this not a risk I'd like to take. Can anyone recommend Insurance cover that would include taking part in this race?
 tobykeep 06 Dec 2013
In reply to NickBrown:

Carte Neige maybe?
 Blinder 06 Dec 2013
In reply to NickBrown: I had AAC insurance for the last couple of years. It was a bit ambiguous when you looked at the policy wording. But I had medical accident insurance in Switzerland. This is a question that has been asked a number of times in the Skimo community.

Blinder 06 Dec 2013
In reply to NickBrown:

Do you have a PDG place? You doing the long or short course.
Skimo Scotland 06 Dec 2013
In reply to NickBrown:

Nick, last year we had numerous conversations with Perkins Slade (provider of the BMC insurance) and we were told by them directly that they would cover ski mountaineering racing.

Maybe this has changed again - I will need to confirm since we still direct our racers to the BMC.

Skinny ski training tonight on the golf course

Di

Skimo Scotland 06 Dec 2013
In reply to NickBrown:

An afterthought - I think your entry includes insurance for the race?
OP NickBrown 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Blinder:

> Do you have a PDG place? You doing the long or short course.

Yup, got a confirmed place on the PDG, doing the long, Zermatt to Verbier, course. Going to be tough
OP NickBrown 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Skimo Scotland:

> An afterthought - I think your entry includes insurance for the race?

I think the race entry includes rescue cover, provided by the Swiss Army. But not medical cover.

Thanks for the letting me know about your contact with Perkin Slade about cover. I'll contact the BMC and also Perkin Slade direct and see if I get it confirmed in writing from them, or better yet the policy wording changed. I'll also check out the policy wording on Snow Card.

If the BMC are hoping to increase British participation in Skimo racing in Europe I think that insurance cover is something they really need to look at.
 philipjardine 07 Dec 2013
In reply to NickBrown:

Hi Nick
good luck with the PDG. We did it from Zermatt in 2010. I am sure we used BMC insurance but the situation may have changed. I think the start is quite late in the year in 2014 so you will have quite a jog out of Zermatt. Well worth practicing a bit of running with skis beforehand. The ski down to the Bertol hut is done roped in the dark and thats worth practicing as well! Many parties have someone meet them in Arolla with food (thats allowed in the rules). If you get a chance its worth reconnoitering the flat bit before the last climb to the Rosablanche and working out whether you are going to skate that (quick but tiring) or have skins on. Its a brilliant day out.

Phil
OP NickBrown 28 Jan 2014
I also contacted Snow Card. Below is my email and the response I got.
So it appears that neither the BMC or Snow Card offer travel insurance that covers Ski Mountaineering racing abroad.

Email:
I was wondering if your this covered any any either your Single Trip or Multi Trip SKI/BOARD policies?
I'm unsure if it falls under any of below categories.
(Ski mountaineering racing being quite different from downhill ski racing (which I think the last category below is direct towards), being an endurance even like nordic ski racing, but in mountainous terrain)
http://www.snowcard.co.uk/activities-ski-board.php
BACK COUNTRY TOURING: covers remote ski touring using skins, often taking in overnight stays in mountain huts or travelling between resorts.
SKI MOUNTAINEERING: is the combination of alpine mountaineering taking in ascents of peaks with skiing and ski touring. The higher rated policies automatically cover the lesser rated styles of skiing or boarding.
RACE AND RACE TRAINING: amateur competitive skiing but not for full time members of national senior squads or competition at major international events.

Reply:
Sorry for the delay in our response, unfortunately this is something that we are unable to quote for as It exceeds the limits of our insurance.
We would recommend the BMC as we are not able to cover this.
If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us,
OP NickBrown 28 Jan 2014
As a follow up, after I contacted the BMC, they have had discussions with their insurance broker regarding changing/extending their travel insurance policies to cover Skimo racing. If this does happen I've been informed it's unlikely to happen until much later in the year, and will almost certainly only cover races that are part of the ISMF. (which does not included a lot of famous races like the PDG, Pierra Menta, etc). A small step in the right direction, to supporting Skimo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...