UKC

Decathlon Merino Base Layer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greycarsdave 07 Dec 2013
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwool-ls-base-layer-id_8188764.html

Anyone tried/ have one? Good/ Bad points? Thinking of getting one, don't want to waste the money if its not worth it.

Dave
 Blue Straggler 07 Dec 2013
In reply to greycarsdave:

Don't know about that one but FWIW I have a thin orange Decathlon merino T-shirt that I got in a clearout for £7, I think it was originally nearer £26, and it is fantastic. Better than the Aldi ones - less itchy and better wicking. Seems robust too - it has gone through plenty of wash cycles.
 Blue Straggler 07 Dec 2013

Just to elaborate on my reply - Quechua gear always seems to be good value so even if a sub-£10 RRP item seems a bit, er, sub-£10, something like this at the £20+ level is probably going to be damn good.
 TobyA 07 Dec 2013

I've had one of their for about three years, probably the best merino shirt I've tried. Tighter fitting and doesn't go baggy like a Patagonia one I have and Devold. Mine has seams a long the the shoulder tops - not normally a great idea, but have never had problems with it even when wearing it all day.

Best thing of all with mine was the guy on till forgot to beep it and just stuck it in the bag so it was free!
 DaveHK 07 Dec 2013

I've got one and it is excellent and limited in the same ways as all merino stuff i.e. It doesn't smell and is very warm but doesn't wick like a synthetic and takes longer to dry.

If you like merino stuff then they're not just great value but great fullstop.
OP greycarsdave 07 Dec 2013

Cheers guys, sounds good and looks perfect for what I need.

Dave.
 Rich L 07 Dec 2013

I have a t-shirt that I have been very happy with, only cost a tenner in the Sale, but the boxers have been awful-holes aplenty in the buttock area where the material has gotten thin.

TK Maxx have Red Ram Icebreaker tops going for £20, and also some Aussie brand, but I cannot remember the brand.

If you don't mind waiting a while for delivery, Sports Pursuit have some cracking merino deals. I got some Janus (Norwegian, I think) boxers that I am very happy with.
 PN82 08 Dec 2013

I have got a short sleeve merino t-shirt from decathlon for £7 a couple of years ago and performs exactly the same as my icebreaker which cost £40. Also as already mentioned by someone else, the t-shirt hasn't sagged or stretched so is like brand new still. Great comfort, fit and build quality, i think mine should have been £25 which even then is a good price.
Cambridge-Climber 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Rich L:
I've worn through several pairs of Icebreaker boxers.

Why do we expect stuff to last forever??

I've also worn through some M&S ones, admittedly they were cheaper.
 Thrudge 08 Dec 2013
In reply to PN82:
> I have got a short sleeve merino t-shirt from decathlon ... the t-shirt hasn't sagged or stretched so is like brand new still. Great comfort, fit and build quality

Same here, except mine is about 4 years old and still going strong.
 Mick Ward 08 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Best thing of all with mine was the guy on till forgot to beep it and just stuck it in the bag so it was free!

Didn't you tell him - or go back and pay him?

(Or am I just horribly old-fashioned?)

Mick

TobyA 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Didn't you tell him - or go back and pay him?

Genuinely didn't notice until we were at home - about an hours drive away, but I've spent plenty in Decathlon over the years so I must say I really didn't feel particularly bad about it. I don't think that makes me a too terrible a person.

James FR 09 Dec 2013

It might not be a criteria for the OP, but this thread could be worth a look (starts off with angora, but merino is mentioned lower down): http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=571155

I don't know where Decathlon merino comes from...
 Timmd 09 Dec 2013
Perhaps I'm just harder on kit than most, but I went to pull my Decathlon merino top over my head and the fabric tore around the neck, something which hasn't happened with my Howies ones.

Perhaps it's just me and Decathlon tops are fine. Either way, Howies are part of a scheme where the welfare of the merino sheep their wool comes from is guaranteed, which something to keep in mind.

Post edited at 09:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...