UKC

MTB advice - Canyon Nerve AL 29 or Spectral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rossowen 09 Dec 2013
I'm looking at a new (and only) MTB this christmas, but since I've never bought an MTB before I'm not sure what I should get.

I like the look and value of the Canyon bikes and planning on cycling around the hills in South Wales - Machen, Cwmcarn and surrounding area.

The Nerve AL 29 looks good, and I think the Spectral 29 is similar but slightly more geared towards downhill (enduro?). I'm leaning more towards the Spectral as there is good downhill stuff around, but then I'll be cycling uphill and cross-country just as much so maybe the Nerve would be better suited?

Any help appreciated!

In reply to rossowen:

Any reason you are going for a 29er? I'd suggest finding somewhere that stocks both bikes and demo them. it's a lot of money to fork out to find out you don't like it!

What type of riding do you do the most of as whatever you buy will ultimately be a compromise anyway.
OP rossowen 09 Dec 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I've been told 29ers will munch the miles up easier than a 26. Sadly Canyon are mail-order only so I can't trial them!

It's my first MTB - I've moved to an area where there is loads of biking around. I want it to be great/fun at the downhill stuff but don't want to sacrifice too much with the cross-country as I'll be doing just as much uphill as I am downhill.
In reply to rossowen:

They are also a lot more expensive to buy and parts like inner tubes, tyres/ forks and wheels are more expensive.

What MTB experience have you got as downhill biking and cross country are as different as trad and bouldering?

I certainly wouldn't buy a bike I couldnt at least sit on first.
OP rossowen 09 Dec 2013

Oh right. I thought they were good value for the components etc.

It's primarily for cross-country. I just wonder if the Spectral will be more fun downhill without making cross country more difficult
In reply to rossowen:

Looks as though the Nerve has a slacker head angle than the spectral - this should handle better downhill. they look like they have good spec to them. Very good bikes but I'm just cynical about 29ers being 'all that' when you factor in the costs etc.
 balmybaldwin 09 Dec 2013
In reply to rossowen:

Canyon are good value, I think the High Climber was refer to the cost of 29r parts over 26. However, as it is becoming more difficult to buy 26rs now that might not be the case soon.

The Canyon Nerve will be up to and enjoyable any downhills in the area you mention - but this is skill dependent.

you might not be able to sit on a Canyon in a show room, but if you get out and about to bike centres, you are likely to come across someone riding one or at least a very similar model, and most people if approached in the right way would probably let you have a little peddal around on theirs (maybe post something on bike radar and see if you can arrange to meet someone in advance).

The debate between 29rs and 26rs (and 27.5) is far from settled, and is very dependent on your height and riding style as to what you would prefer. 29rs can eat up the ground better, but are also harder to manoever and heavier then their 27.5 and 26 equivalents. I would certainly advise riding a range of bikes (on the trail if at all possible)
In reply to rossowen:

Drop a thread on here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/ to see if anyone near you has one you can test ride.
OP rossowen 09 Dec 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales & balmybaldwin:

Thanks - appreciate it.
 Dave Todd 10 Dec 2013

> Looks as though the Nerve has a slacker head angle than the spectral

Worth noting that it's the Spectral that has the slacker head angle (67, compared to 69.5 for the Nerve). The Nerve is aimed more at the XC market while the Spectral is more enduro style (slacker angles, more travel, beefed-up brakes, dropper posts).

I've owned the Nerve 8.0 for just over a year and think it's fantastic for XC and trail centres (Coed-y-Brenin, Penmachno, Llandegla, Dalby, Hamsterley). Very light, very fast. Having said that, the Spectral wasn't released when I was buying, if it had been then I think I'd probably have gone for a Spectral! Maybe also worth considering the 27.5 wheel size.

All my experiences with buying from Canyon have been good. I subsequently bought a road bike from them as well (Roadlite 6.0), again I'm very happy with the quality / spec / ride.
In reply to Dave Todd:

Ahh, yeah, I was reading the Seat tube angle! doh!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...