UKC

In-helmet headphones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav M 10 Dec 2013

Looking for headphones to fit in a Giro helmet.

Want them to have an inline play / pause / volume / skip forward back function similar to that found in apple earbuds.

Have seen a few models online with inline play / pause and volume control but none that specifically promise a skip forward and back function.

Does anyone have this Holy Grail of helmet headphones?
 David Rose 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Gav M:

why would you ruin your experience of the mountains with headphones?
 rogersavery 11 Dec 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:

>why would you ruin your experience of the mountains with headphones?

I completely agree - I tried skiing with headphones and hated it, which was not what I expected at all. Road cycling, I am never without headphones and some decent music playing, but never skiing
 HeMa 11 Dec 2013

Because you're tired of answering that gaper the umpteenth thousand time why am I riding such long and wide skis or what ever...

Listening to music is an easy exit strategy...

But then again, simply pretending to be listening music also works...
 Edradour 11 Dec 2013

> why would you ruin your experience of the mountains with headphones?

Or maybe just let him enjoy the mountains however he wants?

To the OP - I have some cheapish (£25 I think) Sennheiser ones that have what you want. Haven't got them on me so can't tell you the model number but they've got a microphone on as well for hands free phone use (although it doesn't work very well). They were from Dixons (or whatever it's called now) at Heathrow. I would suspect that most headphones that have play/pause on the cord will be able to skip tracks. On mine it's one press for play/pause, two for skip forward and three for skip back.
OP Gav M 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Edradour:

A constructive reply at last, thank you.
In reply to Gav M:

I wouldn't recommend headphones for piste skiing or road cycling; too much loss of situational awareness for my liking...

YMMV
 Brass Nipples 12 Dec 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
> I wouldn't recommend headphones for piste skiing or road cycling; too much loss of situational awareness for my liking...

> YMMV

No more than someone with a radio on in their car
Post edited at 19:13
In reply to Beat me to it!:

The difference being that in a car, you're already quite isolated from sounds around you (windows, engine & road noise), whereas, on a bike, you're not, and sound forms a large part of my situational awareness when riding a bike, and when skiing.

It's certainly a contentious subject, which is why I said 'YMMV'...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cycling+headphones+site:www.cyclechat.net
 Edradour 13 Dec 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I wouldn't recommend headphones for piste skiing or road cycling; too much loss of situational awareness for my liking...

> YMMV

But the OP isn't asking for advice on whether he should or should not wear headphones when skiing / cycling. He asking for advice on which headphones to get. He has already decided that he likes to listen to music when he cycles or skis,.
In reply to Edradour:

People often ask for advice about the best way to do something, only to get replies that suggest doing that thing might not be a good idea at all. I don't see this case being any different.

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of it, but I simply gave the answer that I'd give to Gav if he asked me the same question in the pub, with absolutely no malice intended.

I'd give a similar answer if someone asked "what's the best barbecue to use inside a snowed-in mountain tent?"; "I don't think it's a good idea".

Apologies to Gav if I've caused offence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...