UKC

what i read in winter skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello.

I am reading Winter Skills by Mountain Training at the moment.

In the training section it says: 'On the indoor wall, work climbs that have moves specific to winter such as steep juggy routes that work the arms and shoulders, lock off moves, work body tension moves and abdominal muscles. Bouldering is especially good for this.'

Is this true?

Are the authors saying that indoor bouldering is very good training for Scottish Winter?

Bye

Savvas
 Milesy 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Dave macleod says boulder for everything.
In reply to Milesy:

Hello.

Thanks Milesy.

Bye

Sav
 JamesRoddie 14 Dec 2013

Hi Mountain Spirit,
Are you a beginner to winter climbing? If you are then it is all about your legs for grades I to III. High cardiovascular fitness will be far more useful than good upper body strength.

If you are looking to jump straight on to the higher grades, then be very aware that there is a great deal to learn about the mountains in winter. A lot of the most important things you need to know are best gained from progressing through winter hillwalking first.

Hope that helps.
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013

Have you ever been climbing?

Yes read books. But come on, this is getting a little bit silly now.....

Get out and climb, find your weaknesses and then target them. Everyone is different.

Also don't get to hung up on training, it's the actual climbing that is going to help you at this point of your climbing "career"

Get a partner on here and get out.

csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> Have you ever been climbing?

> What's it like?

FYP

Jamie B 14 Dec 2013

Bouldering is not going to do you any harm. But at this stage in your winter climbing journey it is not going to make or break your experience. What you need is hard yards. Winter walking, easy climbs, and lots of time building up your all-around mountain experience and resilience. Pulling hard can come later.

You're not Dave MacLeod. You're a beginner. Do what beginners do, get out there and find out what it's all about.
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:
awwww are you holding grudges CSW, do you not agree with my post?

At 52 I bet you don't get out much anymore?

SA was wicked by the way, ill be back in June as well, but not before spending winter in Scotland. I'll be sure to keep you updated on my life from now on......

What have you done recently? Stop being bitter!

Anyway don't bother replying, you wont be getting a reply from me kiddo, you're not worth it!

Post edited at 10:00
 csw 14 Dec 2013

You can train the muscle groups any way you like, but really there's not much you can do indoors that feels anything like climbing with tools. Depending on where you are there may be a wall near you that has a pair of Fig 4's/Schmoolz that you can rent. Some walls are cool with you climbing in B3's - I've had some good training sessions, top roping 4's and 5's using Fig4's and wearing big boots - but then the management at the wall decided it looked too much like fun and declared it verboten.

Climbing in B3's on a wall is nothing like doing it in crampons on a route, but it does teach you to keep your feet still once you have them placed, and you'll be surprised at how it changes the way you look at the holds. Climbing with schmoolz is the same - it's not really like using axes, but it gets you into the habit of moving your body without moving the tool - the way they pop off marginal placements with no warning whatsoever is pretty realistic

The best training I ever did for mixed climbing was on a disused railway bridge - Stone not brick. Most of the placements were pretty repetitive, but once again it was good training for body position and movement - It would be worth having a look around.

I should have checked this before I started typing, but I believe you're based in the French suburbs [Southern England] I know High sports at Salfords has Schmoolz for rent - worth giving them a call to see if they have a wall in your area that does too.
 csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

How about you try saying something constructive?
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Stop holding grudges CSW, you are acting like a child!

What exactly in my reply to MS do you have a problem with..... the getting out climbing bit?????

Anyway......
 Michael Gordon 14 Dec 2013

I recall you asked the same thing not long ago; the answer is still a resounding NO.

Unless you mean bouldering in the winter, in which case yes, indoor bouldering will be good training for this.
 Morgan Woods 14 Dec 2013

> Hello.

> I am reading Winter Skills by Mountain Training at the moment.

This sounds like good training.......for winter reading.

csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> awwww are you holding grudges CSW, do you not agree with my post?

> At 52 I bet you don't get out much anymore?

> SA was wicked by the way, ill be back in June as well, but not before spending winter in Scotland. I'll be sure to keep you updated on my life from now on......

> What have you done recently? Stop being bitter!

> Anyway don't bother replying, you wont be getting a reply from me kiddo, you're not worth it! [posted 09:55]

Personal email from xplorer: timestamped 14/12/2013 10:02

Drop it

just stop replying directly to my posts.

grow up

I was being constructive, savvas has never winter climbed before, getting
and climbing is the most important training you can do.

really do you have any proper experience? or do you just read books and get
out on sundays?

===========================================

At least this didn't have any unsavoury suggestions about what I get up to with my sister

If you say something worthy of ridicule, you can't blame people for taking you up on it. Here's a guy who has a gap in his knowledge and he's doing something to fix it. If you think you can boost your self-esteem by talking down to him then fine, but then you don't really have reason to complain if someone takes the piss. It's not like your profile or you posting screams experience.

Happy to drop the matter at this point if you are, but bear in mind anything you send to me via email will be replied to in public, because having read the sort of stuff you say to people when you think no one else will see it, I'm not going to humour you on that score....,.
Post edited at 13:56
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Listen CSW its pretty obvious this isn't about MS post.

Im perfectly happy about you showing the mail I sent you, do you think I was being out of order? Please explain!

You really are acting like a little girl. You are 52. if you want a fight go down to the pub.

I notice you haven't started criticising anyone else who has made similar comments.

Your profile shows pretty clearly you don't climb any more, and from what I can tell, you have done a couple of courses with guides in Scotland.

Regarding the mail about what you should do to your sister, can you not remember what you posted to me? I used fire against fire. I never give anyone abuse without them giving me abuse first! if you cant take it don't give it.

MS has a history of asking these sort of questions. Obviously you haven't noticed that. Again what do you find so offensive about my reply to MS.

You are trying to play the noble wise man, but you are proving yourself to be an absolute clown.

You must be monitoring my post's, you have to be, which is quite strange if you ask me. I noticed you didn't reply to my post regarding the plastering advice!

I take it you have looked at all my recent post's and found nothing to jump on.

Cant we just leave this silliness now. Its not the place for it. But obviously you do want a little bitch fight as that's why you replied to my first post on this thread expecting me to throw a load of abuse your way and get a reaction.

Do you want me banned from UKC, or do you secretly fancy me?

You are never 52
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

I'm in Scotland from January onwards, exact location is conditions dependant.

I have hired a campervan for 3 month's and I'm quite happy for you to come and climb with us if you want to.

That's a genuine offer, even to Savvas too.

Then maybe you can learn to get along with me. If you can't then please just stop trying to get a reaction!
In reply to JamesRoddie:

Hello James.

I am a beginner to winter climbing. I do HIIT at the gym twice a week on the vertical cycle and x trainer.

I have good front pointing technique.

I was thinking of doing a winter hillwaking course first.

As for grades not sure how I will do....

I would like to climb grade V.

Bye

Savvas
 csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Do me a favour and stop emailing me - I won't reply.

If I come across a post of yours that makes me grin then I'll reply to it - your response to that is your problem.

I'll pass on the climbing invite. What I've seen of you on here makes me think you'd be a liability on a hill.

If you start a comment with the words "Do you even climb?", then it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work out that what follows is of a derogatory nature, not constructive. You say that the nature of the OP's questions justifies your sneering response, but I put it to you that the lack of any evidence that you yourself climb, puts you in the focal point of a proverb involving glass houses and stones.

Also you know, I think we have the makings of a double act here - you never know - we might see our dialogue in a Guy Ritchie film one of these days if we polish it up a bit
 csw 14 Dec 2013

You could do a lot worse than a winter climbing course at PyB or Glenmore. Chances are your crampon technique isn't as good as you think, but there's only one way to improve it. Winter grades are tricky, unlike summer rock grades, a climb can get easier or much harder over the course of a season as conditions change. Grade V is a serious proposition - fitness will help, but without technique your strength and stamina will be wasted. Shame you live so far south.

One thing you do have is the chalk routes on the south coast. It might be worthwhile looking for a club, or a local climber to introduce you to those.

Good luck anyway......
In reply to xplorer:

Hello xplorer.

I have never been winter climbing outdoors but only winter climbed indoors at Ellis Brigham!

I have done one day of a winter skills course at Glenmore Lodge - did not do the second day due to illness.

I have put a thread in the partners/lift forum.

Bye

Savvas
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

What evidence do you need? I don't need to prove to you what I get up to. UKC isn't the be all and end all of climbing. I don't feel the need to advertise all my climbing to impress people like you, who mean absolutely nothing to me. That's not being nasty, it's just obvious. Im passed the days of trying to impress idiots. Do you want me to publish loads of pictures like yours, with big down jackets on crawling up grade 2's, with a guide belaying me at 50.

I have never ever stated that I'm some kind of climbing god, I get out as much as I can, and always enjoy it. If you don't get out as much anymore that isn't my problem, and I don't care who you are or what you have done.

What gives you the impression I'm a liability on the hill? You can't simply make a statement from the top of your head, without giving reasons. You have never seen me climbing.

Most of your posts don't even involve climbing, yet you seem to think your some kind of legend.

Does everybody have to prove to you what they have done to you?

Your a 52 year old mate, enough said. Even your profile states that you don't climb anymore. I really find it hard to believe you aren't just pursuing a vendetta against me.

Going on a couple of courses with guides doesn't make you a professional. Not does reading books. From what people say on here experience is everything, and if you can't with the fact that a 28 year old has more experience than you, then that's your problem to deal with. I personally don't judge myself on other peoples achievements or mistakes. I get out and I do what I do, in climbing, business and in life in general. I'm self made mate, not another wannabe. I even give you the opportunity to see me climb and meet me in the flesh, but I think you already know you wouldn't like being shown up by me.

My advice was exactly what MS needs, he needs to get out climbing. Reading books and asking the same questions on UKC every week isn't going to help him. Nor is it going to help you pursuing a vendetta against me online. I have obviously pissed you rite off in the past somewhere on here, but you pretend this is about my first comment on this thread, if it was you would be commenting on the other comments from various other people.

Anyway if you some sort of test for me to complete to make you believe I'm an honest, genuine guy then let me know.

CSW - the dogs bollocks..... Apparently
In reply to csw:

Hello csw.

I think those are fully booked now.

Yeah, winter grades are ficle and tricky and they do depend on conditions.

I am going to join the London Mountaineering Club.

I know people who have chlaked climbed.

Bye

Savvas

xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

The message I sent to CSW email, obviously he didn't reply or post on here because it wasn't attacking him. I don't think he likes the fact that the oh so bad xplorer is trying to be nice to him:

"lets just stop replying to each other. Its pretty obvious you have a
serious problem with me, and that your not willing to accept that you are
and were in the wrong too.

The UKC forums aren't for us to keep having a pick at each other. And I am
pretty sure no one else wants to have to read it.

Like I said on the thread, I have a camper van for 3 month's and will be in
Scotland, its a 4 berth and I am willing to let you come and climb with me
and a good friend if you want. Obviously not for 3 months but id be willing
to let you get your head down on one of the spare beds as well.

If you don't take me up on the offer then just please leave the sly
comments for someone else. I really don't want to be doing it every other
week."
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Your profile:

"I'm a climber the way Rincewind is a Wizard - Not particularly bold, nor skillful, nor strong - but I love it. I try never to turn down an opportunity to climb - I'm not particularly grade-motivated although I like to push myself, just not on every climb. I'd rather do an easy classic in good company than a testpiece with someone who's only concern is the numbers.

Recently had my mobility severely attenuated by an arthritic hip. As a result I've allowed myself to get pretty unfit. Most of the climbing I do these days, I do on my own We'll see how that goes......"

I really do just think you are bitter, and you don't like to believe that some one is doing more than you.

I can list all my achievements in climbing and business if you like, but I think you would have a heart attack.
 Morgan Woods 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:
In reply to xplorer:

> Have you ever been climbing?

> What's it like?

> FYP

If you were quoting Monty Python, that was quite funny, but why joke about a throw away line then get all serious?

Has any of the advice on these stupid threads, offered in good faith ever been acted upon, by the OP err you know actually going climbing?
 Dave Ferguson 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to csw)
>
>
> I really do just think you are bitter, and you don't like to believe that some one is doing more than you.
>
> I can list all my achievements in climbing and business if you like, but I think you would have a heart attack.

Psychopath night tonight on channel 4 - are you watching it?
 csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I don't care about your business achievements but as a climber I'd be curious about your climbing experiences. I don't care if you've done more than me. I imagine a minimum of 75% of the climbing world has done more than me. My underachievement is pretty spectacular, but I've learned to take pleasure at other peoples happiness too. People who pretend to be what they're not are always worthy of contempt though.

I'm not pursuing a vendetta against you. I happened upon this thread - I saw your comment, and it reminded me of the Monty python "Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink" sketch - hence my response - Obviously I hit a nerve, which kind of suggests you're not as secure in yourself as you'd like people to think.

I actually have a bit of time for Sawas. He reminds me of when I was learning - reading books and surviving mistakes that ought to have hurt a lot. I have a nostalgic affection for that approach, and also I can respect a person who says "This is what I don't know - help me learn" - Ask a stupid question and you look like a fool for a moment - Keep your ignorance under wraps and you stay a fool forever.

Also, on the subject of posting emails online - I dare you to post the one you sent to J2V - you know - the one with the incest theme......
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Don't watch tv mate, I especially wouldn't watch programs and films about subjects like that.

What's your problem Dave? Are you looking for a fight too. It's strange how people throw themselves into the fire eh?
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:
"Also, on the subject of posting emails online - I dare you to post the one you sent to J2V - you know - the one with the incest theme......"

Ah rite so you telling me to touch up pigs is ok then is it?

I think I'd rather stoke my sister than a pig.
 csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Getting sucked into arguments like this is one of my more serious character flaws - ask every one of my exes

Well spotted, the Python reference though.....

As for the OP - he sounds sincere enough - sooner or later he's going to get his arse in gear and get out on the hill - It's not like he's ideally situated - As a guy who has taken a week to pack a rucksack before now, I have some sympathy.
 csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> "Also, on the subject of posting emails online - I dare you to post the one you sent to J2V - you know - the one with the incest theme......"

> Ah rite so you telling me to touch up pigs is ok then is it?

> I think I'd rather stoke my sister than a pig.

That's easy to prove - post what you say I sent you - the spelling and vocab ought to establish which one of us wrote it - provided of course you do it now and not after half an hour with a dictionary.....
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:
If all else fails eh mate......

Hip hop and jump! Or hip hop and climb
Post edited at 21:47
 csw 14 Dec 2013
 xplorer 14 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Don't try and tell me you didn't find that funny..... Haha.
In reply to Jamie B:

Hello Jamie.

Thanks.

Bye

Savvas
 Tom Last 14 Dec 2013
In reply to all:

Wow, embarrassing thread!

In reply to csw:

Hello.

I think the High sports has closed down and were selling their matts.

I will look into the disused railway bridge thing.

Bye

Savvas

csw 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

Je ne regrette rien
In reply to csw &Xplorer

How about you both stop degrading the threads created by others and you both go away and get a grip? Seriously, it's a big world out there where you can spend the time exhausted in this school yard futile spat doing better things like making someone smile or, god forbid, enjoy the hills.

I'm frankly embarrassed to read this thread. And also I feel bad for the op as you've both completely stripped away any importance for what he was asking, it's now about you pair of stubborn fools.

Be bigger men....

Joak 14 Dec 2013
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

> In reply to csw &Xplorer

> How about you both stop degrading the threads created by others and you both go away and get a grip? Seriously,

I'm oan a weeks hols and the weather is seriously mince. How about you lighten up and cut the guys some slack ya killjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...