UKC

Looking to get into climbing (Stafford)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robo1992 16 Dec 2013
I am a enthusiastic walker but have very little experience climbing what can i start to do to get into the sport?

Are there any cheap rock climbing shoes for beginners?

Any advice would be helpful thanks
 Andy Hardy 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Robo1992:

How big are your feet? I've got some evolv royals (UK 9.5) which I want to sell as they're too big for me.

As for getting into the sport - there are 4 basic options

1. Post on here (lifts and partners) fill out your profile first.
2. If you've got climbing mates go out with them.
3. Join a local club.
4. Go on a course at PyB or similar.
In reply to Robo1992:

when a group of us started we went for relatively cheap shoes, some Red Chilli some Climb X and no one had any trouble. You'd soon recoup the cost of hiring them. You'll want to try them on first before buying.
 phja 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Robo1992:

Hi Robo. Almost any climbing shoes will do as a beginner, just make sure they are comfortable. Don't get them too tight, you won't need them to be and you'll just be in pain (despite what shop workers may tell you). Red chilli are usually a good brand for first shoes (were for me) but any will do as long as they are comfortable.

As for getting into the sport, you could ask on here for partners, rope a friend into going with you or if all else fails you could get down a local bouldering wall (no partner needed) and meet people down there.

Do you know what type of climbing you want to do? (Bouldering, sport, trad or all 3)?
 emma7027 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Robo1992:

Stafford Mountain Club are a friendly bunch, meet up most Wednesdays either at Awesome, Newport or Wolf.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/120515921315965/
altirando 16 Dec 2013
In reply to emma7027: And some of us older previous members still meet up occasionally Emma ! But I still blame lugging rocks to build Bryn Hafod for a hernia......
 emma7027 17 Dec 2013
In reply to altirando:

> And some of us older previous members still meet up occasionally Emma ! But I still blame lugging rocks to build Bryn Hafod for a hernia......

We are all very greatful for your hernias - Bryn Hafod is a very special place!
 drsdave 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Robo1992:

check out ''the mountain club - stafford'' on fb
altirando 20 Dec 2013
In reply to emma7027: Spoilt by the provision of electric light. Have you all gone soft? But seriously, not so nice now with the fence.

Paul Hy 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Robo1992:

As Emma and Dave have said come and try The Mountain Club, Stafford, check us out on facebook at; https://www.facebook.com/groups/120515921315965/
We've a full list of events and activities lined up for next year and we are a friendly bunch!! We have a get together at the Greyhound Pub on County Rd (opp Gaol) 1st Thursday each month but in Jan it will be the 9th from about 9pm onwards.
 mrdigitaljedi 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Robo1992:

climb x crux r good read my review

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/climb-x-crux-climbing-shoe-p194484

also paul hy is the man 2 chat to in stafford.
 jamescook 19 Jan 2014
In reply to Robo1992:

Hi there have you managed to start climbing yet....I live not to far from Stafford, uttoxeter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...