UKC

OI NEWS: Survey - Perceived Relationship Between Activities and Danger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Dec 2013
Confused.com survey logo, 4 kbConfused.com are reaching out to the UKClimbing community to find out opinions surrounding climbing and the dangers associated with it. Please complete this simple survey.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5997
In reply to UKC Gear:

'Reaching out' to us, eh? I fancy they may find we're further away than they think.

jcm
 Dave Garnett 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
> Confused.com are reaching out to the UKClimbing community to find out opinions surrounding climbing and the dangers associated with it.

No they aren't. They are working out their strategy to help sell life insurance to us.
 alansage 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Most student surveys on here manage a draw for a £50 amazon voucher or GoPro to incentivise their survey. This multimillion pound corporation seem to have forgotten theirs....
 The Pylon King 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

they can shove it where the sun don't shine.

(some north facing quarry in the Mendips)
 The New NickB 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Surely reasearch on actual risk would be much more useful.
 csw 17 Dec 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Not for marketing purposes I don't think
 Denni 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Totally agree. A survey to assess how much they can charge for insurance purposes.

ianlaw 17 Dec 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

Shove it up their Fairy Cave?
 deepsoup 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
Really, UKC Gear? Really?
 tlm 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

They probably paid to have it on here, which means that we get to use ukc for free....
 3 Names 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

No
 deepstar 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

I`ll fill it in as soon as I`ve soloed Parthian Shot.
 Sean Kelly 17 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Annoyed that a commercial 'Survey' is allowed on such a forum, obviously touting for business. The questions look like they have been dreamed up by a four year old. Can we get this moderated off the site?

In reply to johncoxmysteriously: It's a sad - but predictable - response from the "intelligentsia" of UKC. Everyone's up in arms against a very predictable and normal practice amongst insurance companies, yet you all rely on these companies to bail you out when things go wrong. Yes, they're planning on making money out of this, but guess what? That's how businesses survive.

I'm more than happy for the time when insurance companies realise that climbing is actually far less dangerous than 5 a side or cycling to work on your bike. Once or twice a week I get footballers and cyclists in the back of th'ambulance yet climbing journeys to hospital are pretty rare.

What the thread responses to this may show to the companies is that climbers are morons who have no concept of how the world works, and who therefore take stupid risks. If I were Go Compare I would raise premiums.

However, I'd say that the survey questions are piss poor and don't do the subject justice...a pretty poor show considering they are supposed to understand the subject of risk more than anyone.
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Annoyed that a commercial 'Survey' is allowed on such a forum, obviously touting for business. The questions look like they have been dreamed up by a four year old. Can we get this moderated off the site?

This, as it states on the item, is paid advertorial which helps fund the site. We run two items like this every day.

Alan
 deepsoup 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> We run two items like this every day.

No, not quite like this.
 Denni 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> What the thread responses to this may show to the companies is that climbers are morons who have no concept of how the world works, and who therefore take stupid risks.

Count yourself in amongst that sweeping statement do you? Thats the most moronic reply to the thread so far.

Ramblin dave 17 Dec 2013

I've got no problems with you running it since that's how the site's funded, but they'd probably get more useful responses if they did it in a way that didn't insult people's intelligence, ie if they just came out and said "do this survey to help us with our market research and we'll enter you into a draw to win X Y and Z" rather than "hey why not do this fun survey that we've decided to do simply because we love climbers and we love surveys!"

Unless their real goal was to provoke people into giving them amateur advice on how to do market research, in which case I just bought it hook line and sinker.
 Puppythedog 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I'm with Ramblin Dave, ironically I almost always fill out the undergraduate stuff but won't do this. I'm worried they'll put up my car insurance if I am a climber.
 tlm 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I don't think they are going to use the results from the survey for anything. The survey is just getting you to a page with an advert on it, getting you to think about insurance as a climber, and then some people will maybe go on to click on the advert and find out more.

It's just an advert, albeit an interactive one.
 The Pylon King 18 Dec 2013

> Everyone's up in arms against a very predictable and normal practice amongst insurance companies, yet you all rely on these companies to bail you out when things go wrong.

I don't, so insurance companies can shove it, they are all scum bag leeches profiting from the brainwashed masses.
 3 Names 18 Dec 2013

> This, as it states on the item, is paid advertorial which helps fund the site. We run two items like this every day.

> Alan

Well when they pay me ill fill it out then?
 JoshOvki 18 Dec 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

> they are all scum bag leeches profiting from the brainwashed masses.

I disagree. I paid £150 CAD for 3 Months of health insurance when I was in Canada, ended up in hospital with a bill for the best part of £10k and paid £0 because of the insurance company.

They serve a purpose, no one is forcing you to take out insurance.
 Puppythedog 18 Dec 2013

I disagree that we all rely on them to bail us out. We pay them, sometimes, an amount of money which is pretty much them betting it will go wrong less often than it cost for it to go wrong.
Relying on them for a bail out implys that we have not contributed. For example my car insurance has cost me roughly 4 thousand pounds over the last eight years. I have to have i understand why but I would not be being bailed out by them if they paid out on something. i have purchased whatever they send me if I get into strife.

Do you think it's unreasonable for people to distrust the insurers then?
From what i can see they charge as much the market can stand and it is often a rip off.
In reply to UKC Gear:

I don't understand the question about working at height. How can you even begin to compare a job to a hobby/pastime/lifestyle?

Sean Kelly 18 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

I think most of you are missing the point. This is not in the least designed as any meaningful survey, but a very poorly disguised attempt to get you signed up to buy insurance. Why are the questions so moronic? What use can such a hopeless survey be?
I could do better
1. Which is more dangererous A. Rock climbing B. Reading a book
2. What is a risky seasonal activity? A. Ice-climbing B. Playing Conkers
3. A. Do you climb without a rope? or B. Drive a Hummer without a seatbelt?
4. What's more risky? A. Climbing in Greater Ranges B. A night in Moss Side...alone!
5. IF we arrange to let you have Life-insurance do you agree to pay through the nose?
Feel free to add your own questions to this survey!

As an aside, eons ago when I first applied for a mortgage I had to pay extra because I was a climber. Then they asked for how much longer I intended to go climbing. I was totally lost after this one...
 JIMBO 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I remember being offered a great deal to cover my climbing, so long as I stuck to some conditions...
Always wear a helmet and rope... so that's bouldering out the window... and never did a route over Severe 4a... so most routes anywhere... so I went for another provider who was happy so long as I climbed no more than 2500m which is just about every cliff on the planet
 LastBoyScout 18 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

8 terrible questions is hardly an in-depth study and I fail to see what sort of conclusions they think they'll draw from it.
 AlexBush 19 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Isn't it obvious that it's just a thinly veiled attempt to get climbers to think about how dangerous their sport is and therefore buy insurance?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...