UKC

How to go about a big trip / expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ShoePolice 17 Dec 2013
Hi - this might be a common question in these parts, but I'd like to do a big trip - Alpine, South America or Asia - but have no idea where to start. Where's the best place to look for organised / arranged expeditions? Is UKC as good as any to look? I'm a bit vague as to what I want to do, but don't want the whole laid on, hand-holding experience.
 Piglet69 17 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:

Martin Moran does expeditions to Himalayas once or twice a year. Know a few people who've been on them and really enjoyed them. Check his website out.

A.
 jonnie3430 17 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:
I've been out to the Andes a few times. Go to Huaraz, do some peaks in the Ishinca valley for acclimatisation then head for what you want. Cafe California in Huaraz is good for knowledge. You need the same kit for Scottish winter, if you are comfy on grade III ground, you can solo most of the AD's there and have a great time (would also recommend Jo's Place, if he is still around...)
Post edited at 23:23
 Mr. Lee 19 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:

This is quite a big subject you are asking about. It's worth having a search back through the forums as I know this subject has come up a few times over the years and there has been some good information dished out.
 koolkat 19 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:

book Aconcagua , peak lenin , mustag ata , they all provide base camp facilities and you sort yourself out above base own food own equipment own plans just book there services book flights and find a partner
 Jimmy O 19 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:
Why do you want any sort of hand holding? Have you considered doing the organising yourself with your team?

If its logistics your after, it is rarely that complicated (not that I have a massive amount of experience). If it is inspiration for objectives you want then why not have a look at the big companies websites and see what they are up to.

Or just choose where you want to go - the Andes are an excellent choice. Get a guidebook of existing routes if one exists and find something you like the look of!
Post edited at 09:43
 radson 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Jimmy O:

Ya reckon? I have always found logistics much more complicated than the actual climbing.
 Jimmy O 19 Dec 2013
In reply to radson:

Fair enough. I guess it will depend on where you go. I have climbed a bit in the Andes without any issues.

Maybe thats the difference between a big trip and an expedition?
 Jimmy O 19 Dec 2013
In reply to radson:

Also, isn't that part of the fun?
 Hannes 19 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:

What do you want out of it? Organising an expedition to some remote part of the world isn't that hard but it does take time and effort. If you want a bit more civilisation head for nepal or south america, for a bit more independent look at central asia.

Two years ago we went to Kyrgyzstan, just the four of us. We hired a local company (ITMC) who sorted out the border permits and a driver whereas we did the rest with all the shopping, all the carrying and all the climbing ourselves. If you are self reliant I think you'll probably get more out of it. As a result of sponsorship and support form the MEF the price for the whole package came to about £800 per person including travel, food etc for a month which isn't bad. Doing it this way there guaranteed to be no hand holding.
 team fat belly 19 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:

I've been part of my first expedition earlier this year. After a reasonable amount of research we ended up choosing Kyrgyzstan because there was a lot of potential there. Do not underestimate the amount of organisation involved and the time it takes. First off get together the team of people who are genuinely committed and try and come up with a vague idea of what type of climbing everyone is looking to do. Then try to divvy out the jobs that need to be done and a time scale to get everything in by, this makes it all a bit more bite sized.

I thought this book was surprisingly useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountaineers-Books-Climbing-Expedition-Planning/dp/...

Mackenzie 19 Dec 2013
In reply to ShoePolice:

http://www.climbhotrock.com/

Might be another trip in the works for Jan 2015... South America.... apparently....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...