UKC

Running and glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malc 18 Dec 2013
I have been a regular contact lens wearer for about 30 year, I am now finding that due to changes in my prescription that I am going to have to wear my glasses more regularly. I was wondering how other wearers of glasses cope when running or outside in foul weather, ie, preventing them misting up, darling with rain on the lens..

Thanks

Malc
 The New NickB 18 Dec 2013
In reply to malc:

Running I just cope without, both my eyes are about -1.75, so it isn't too bad. Walking and climbing I just wipe them every so often.

It depends how hard you run, jogging isn't a problem, anything more and I find them uncomfortable and they tend to fall off.
OP malc 18 Dec 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
I am very short sighted -8 and -7.
 Mountain Llama 18 Dec 2013
In reply to malc: try wearing a peaked cap to shelter your glasses

Mark Torrance 18 Dec 2013
In reply to malc:

I've never had a problem with my glasses not staying on my face when running, even on rough, off-road runs. Light (frameless?) lenses help, though I know that for strong prescriptions these can be very expensive.

Rain and misting can be a bit of a problem occasionally, and heavy rain in the dark is a serious issue. I've just started wearing a cap when it's wet, which helps.

For fell races and long road races I do tend to put contacts in though. My vision isn't as good, but it's good enough. I tend to make large-print maps for fell races.
 Mark Torrance 18 Dec 2013
In reply to malc:

Oh, and make sure your glasses have separate nose pieces rather than ones that are built into the frame (sorry, that might be obvious). You can get pads with varying degrees of softness / grippyness and it's worth experimenting. You should, I think, be able to get them fitted so there's no movement at all when you run.
 Neil Williams 18 Dec 2013
In reply to malc:

I find that in cold weather if I keep moving they don't mist up. It does mean if I stop I have to take them off, though. Rain, well, not a lot you can do bar clean them regularly.

Neil
 Neil Williams 18 Dec 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Depends on the shape of your nose. I find a lycra type glasses strap (fits over the ends and round the back of the head) effective for keeping them in place. Would also be useful if you wear yours when climbing (I tend not to as I don't need them to see rock/holds close to my face).

Neil
 The New NickB 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

I've got some, which I use for climbing, comfort is the main thing with running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...