UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: The Warm Heart of Africa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Dec 2013
Climbable boulders?, 3 kbFrom Haroun Souirji, the man who brought us Better than Chocolate, Vivid Landscapes and more, comes a new video shot in Malawi, in the heart of Africa: The Warm Heart of Africa.
Haroun brought along fellow cinematographer Julie Guignier, climbers Mélissa Le Nevé and Ben Rueck, and...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68597
 maxtheclimber 20 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing place.
 Blake 20 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

groan, the first 2 things that come to mind are bouldering and bolting... is adventure dead?
 pneame 20 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Bouldering does very little for me , but I thought that the photography was stunning
 USBRIT 20 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News: Great looking rock face . Wonder why they waste time and a long trip on chossy boulders.However nice video of the area and wildlife.

MNA123 20 Dec 2013
In reply to blake:

Each to their own pal.
 Robert Durran 20 Dec 2013
In reply to blake:
> .....the first 2 things that come to mind are bouldering and bolting... is adventure dead?

It is a little known fact that Chambe in the Mulanje area has the biggest rock wall in Africa (Chris bonnington has climbed it!). I've been thinking of a trip for a few years; the potential is obviously huge. I think I better hurry up before the "bolting potential" is realised. According to Sir Chris there are perfctly good "Lobelia runners" anyway!
Post edited at 13:12
silo 20 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:
I hope they are in good health after swimming in the lake. There will be are some real nasty's in the lake.
Post edited at 16:34
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've looked down that face on Chambe from the top after a climb on the shorter side. It's massive, and quite unlike anywhere else. Couldn't see the boulders though - they must have been over 1500m below me! Go there Robert, it's a great country.
 Bristoldave 21 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Swimming in lake Malawi, despite it looking beautiful, is a scary thing to do

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/schistosomiasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Haroun Souirji 26 Dec 2013
In reply to USBRIT:

> Great looking rock face . Wonder why they waste time and a long trip on chossy boulders.However nice video of the area and wildlife.

Hi!

The rock face does look great but when you get closer, the rock is actually not that great and mostly covered with lychens and plants of all sorts. We might go on it one day but the boulders are not chossy at all. They are actually the best we found in Malawi (along with a fourth area we did not include).

We might go there again for sport climbing and also explore the wall for better rock so stay tunned
In reply to Robert Durran:

> It is a little known fact that Chambe in the Mulanje area has the biggest rock wall in Africa (Chris bonnington has climbed it!). I've been thinking of a trip for a few years; the potential is obviously huge. I think I better hurry up before the "bolting potential" is realised. According to Sir Chris there are perfctly good "Lobelia runners" anyway!

Yes you should hurry up . From the info I got on the big wall (photos from previous ascentionists), the rock is not amazing... In most places it is more like a vertical jungle. But only maybe 5% of the wall has been checked so you never know.

We do not know yet but we might go back next year for sport climbing. Many boulders are 40+m high...
In reply to Bristoldave:

> Swimming in lake Malawi, despite it looking beautiful, is a scary thing to do

Well it is not if you plan your trip well. There are pills to take to avoid Schistosomiasis. They are extremely cheap if you buy them at a local pharmacy. None of us got sick. However some crocodiles have been observed so it is highly recommended not to swim during the night or before the sun is high (when crocodiles hunt).

It is a safe country with great people if you are an experienced traveller.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...