UKC

Home made tooling boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Has anyone made their own?

There's not a lot online about this, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice to help me avoid making common mistakes.

My current plan is to get a pair of bolt on crampons and use small (3mm/4mm) T-nuts and bolts to attach them to and old [air of climbing shoes.

I heard some folks have been using this setup?
 TobyA 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

Look up UKC user HeMa, saw his last weekend. They looked really cool!
 petegunn 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

If using climbing shoes you may need to stiffen them by adding a bar of some kind.
My first effort was like this using a pair of climbing shoes but i only fitted them with 1 front spike, so not very good if you needed to edge.
I have gone with using a pair of old winter boots now and have removed most of the sole unit, very light but still stiff. Bought a pair of cheap crampons (oxfam) cut the front end off and retro-fitted them on. (had to weld small wings on to fit the T-nuts) have left the heel free.
 Andrew Wilson 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

I have not made any yet but have a plan. I have an old pair of Nike Nguba cycling shoes. They currently have SPD cleats bolted to them but once I have laid my hands on some crampons at the right price I will bolt them on instead.
The soles tread can be sawn off flush where the crampons will fit and it is already very stiff.
They would be ideal I think.

Andy
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

Cheers ginge, they look like M12 crushers!
 DJayB 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

Comedy gold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...