UKC

SAMSARA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xplorer 27 Dec 2013

If you're into stunning visuals this is the film for you:

youtube.com/watch?v=m2Yp7P3Jios&

Be interesting to hear peoples opinions as well.
Post edited at 12:17
 jules699 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Skipped through it - v amazing visually and musically. Aptly named.
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013
In reply to jules699:

If you do get chance try and watch the whole film. There is nothing quite like it from what I know.

jules699 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I was going to add that I fully intend to watch the whole film. Just from what I've seen so far I'm compelled to board a plane and go see these places/people in the flesh RIGHT NOW! Thanks for sharing the link.....
 Dauphin 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:
Its not like Bakara or koyaanisqatsi then?

D
Post edited at 12:49
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

haven't seen them, there is a pretty clear message that comes from this film though. Truly amazing and disgusting at the same time in my opinion. I think you have to make your own conclusions though. The message will probably be different for everyone.
 Fraser 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

It reminded me a lot of Koyaanisqatsi. Still very good although I too haven't watched it all yet.
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013
In reply to jules699:

Yea I thought exactly the same, once I finished watching though I kind of got another perspective as well. Worrying but amazing at the same time!
In reply to Dauphin:
It is like Baraka and Koyaanisqatsi. In fact, it's directed by the director of the former and the cinematographer of the latter.
Post edited at 13:30
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013
In reply to SidharthaDongre:
yea its "like", but from what I gather, Samsara has a whole different meaning.

You have got to watch it to understand the meaning of the film.

You will have your own perception of what the film is about, and people should have their own opportunity to understand there own meaning.
Post edited at 13:57
 hokkyokusei 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I saw it the other year at the Bradford Film Festival. I really enjoyed it.
 rallymania 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

had a quick skip through the first 5 minutes at work, have clicked the wathc later icon so i can pick it up later

thanks
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013
In reply to rallymania:

no problem, you will love it!
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013
In reply to rallymania:

there is actually a HD version on youtube, make sure you watch that version its a lot better
In reply to xplorer:

Oh yeah, in no way are they the same, but their contexts are pretty similar, especially with Koyaanisqatsi, ie. our relationship with the world around us and how that is changed through our technological progress. Samsara is certainly a development since Baraka and Koyaanisqatsi, in that our attitudes to tech and our world have changed since the other films. It's also optimistic and almost tongue-in-cheek I find, neither of which are found in the earlier films.
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013

yea I have had a look at their earlier films now, from what I gather Samsara seems to be about the perpetual life and death. I noticed a lot of circle symbolism. Circle of life maybe? I came to that conclusion right at the end when seeing the Buddhist's destroy their work.

But on a darker side, even though I'm already aware of the truly disgusting things that happen in this world, the film subtly confirmed this for me again.
In reply to xplorer:

I'd like to do a 2-day chronological marathon, they're some of the best films in existence methinks, and it's been a while since I watched them. Did you see the other two films in the Reggio trilogy?
OP xplorer 27 Dec 2013

I haven't seen them fully no. I will be watching them very soon though, I'm busy for the next couple of days.

In reply to xplorer:
Well there's plenty to marvel and lament, so much fun to be had!
Post edited at 19:59
 jules699 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer: Well samsara relates to just that; life and death. Impermanence. I quite liked the (symbolism of) sweeping away of the painting at the end...just bout to watch whole way through.

jules699 27 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Watching in full now
OP xplorer 28 Dec 2013
In reply to jules699:

Sent you an email
 jules699 28 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

yhm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...