UKC

Should I buy a big(size 6) cam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David_Gledson 27 Dec 2013
Hi, I'm after some advice from those more learned than myself.
I'm thinking of treating myself to a well earned present, namely a number 6 friend, so my question is, should I? I would hate it to buy something that never gets used.

I climb mainly, but by no means exclusively on Yorkshire and Peak grit(with Brimham being my local crag), am pretty solid at e1(which should really be e2 if I wasn't a big wuss and just got on them, which is the plan for next year), and I do enjoy a good thrutch once in a while.

Currently have a full set of cams up to and including size 4 friend, and one of my regular climbing friends has a size 5, so I'd have that available quite a bit of the time.

So......complete waste of money, or a great purchase?

Thanks in advance,

David
 n-stacey 27 Dec 2013
In reply to David_Gledson:

Life would be empty without one!!
 beardy mike 27 Dec 2013

Of course you should. As soon as you have one you'll think you are Tom Randall and start looking for a beasting...
 tmawer 27 Dec 2013

If you can be bothered carrying one, you may be surprised how often you can use it, particlarly on easier routes.
 LucaC 27 Dec 2013

Number sixes are like animals, you really need a pair to keep each other company.
 deepsoup 27 Dec 2013
Do it. C'mon, stop beating about the bush, you know you want to.

Better buy a few rolls of tape too, all sorts of horrible wide cracks are going to start to look inviting...
OP David_Gledson 27 Dec 2013
Cheers for the replies dudes and dudettes. Oooh it's looking very positive then, think I'm well on my way to being sold, as I certainly don't want an empty life, so if life is full with a six on my harness, then bring it on(wallet will be rather more empty though).

And I'm not sure the Tom Randall thing is good, as I already think I'm like a rubbish, short version of him too much already, so I don't think any more encouragement is healthy.

Keep the persuasions coming!
 mrdigitaljedi 27 Dec 2013

better yet talk your m8 into buying it then commender his lol
 The Grist 27 Dec 2013

I was actually thinking of the same purchase. The downside is that I will have no excuse stood underneath Elder Crack or above T-Rex when armed with it. I kind of enjoyed putting those routes off.
OP David_Gledson 27 Dec 2013

Ha ha great idea mrdigitaljedi, maybe if I post my regular partners names on here everyone could email them persuasive and subliminal messages about buying one.

Good point about the excuses thing, think I might actually have to climb some of my dream climbs list now, as it looks like I won't be able to say "i'm going to get on that, as soon as I have the right size cam" anymore, damn!
 Col Kingshott 27 Dec 2013

Def get one. I'm pretty sure you can get one in that crack to the right of notice board wall, if my memory of the area is correct.

Col.
 mrdigitaljedi 27 Dec 2013

i no they are only VDiffs but left/right twin chimney on burbage north needs a 6 cam, and body bars, arm bars, head jams to complete.
OP David_Gledson 28 Dec 2013
Cheers to all who replied. Bit the bullet last night, and one lovely green friend is on it's way, wahoo!

Bring on the offwidths!

Cheers

David

Once you get some (more than 1 useful but can share between teams), to eliminate worry about wasting them make a trip to Orco and do some of the fabulous offwidths there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...