UKC

Rucksack Recommendations for ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PontiusPirate 28 Dec 2013
I'm going to have to concede that my well-used Alpine Attack 50 is too 'well-used', uncomfortable and useless at carrying skis (even with some attempted mods) for multi-day ski touring.

So... what are people recommending (or avoiding!) this season? What size are people using, a mere 32l (as most designs seem to be) or something larger?

In terms of what I can easily get hold of in this country, it looks like it's between various Deuter and Ortovox designs (e.g. Deuter Guide 32 and Ortovox Haute Route 45).

I'm 180cm tall and fairly slim if that affects people's decisions at all.

Cheers,

PP.

PS. I am aware that there was a similar thread about 18 months ago, but I can only read the first couple of posts for some reason? An archiving problem????
In reply to PontiusPirate:

I've got a BD Alias ski pack for sale, £55? Any good? This one:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=black+diamond+alias&source=lnms&t...
OP PontiusPirate 28 Dec 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Which version Nick? There are several different years designs that come up in that search - and - more importantly, why are you selling it?
Would you actually recommend it?

PP.

Hi, it's the red and grey one in the big photo in the link. It's been used twice, days trips only. I'd thoroughly recommend it, well thought out stowage arrangement, simple, robust. I'm only selling it as I've got too much kit and life-wise and time-wise, my days of doing enough ski touring to warrant having a specific ski touring pack are not now.
Confused that the link shows many for you. When I use the link it fleetingly shows many, but within a second it selects and expands one in particular, this one:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/black-diamond/alias/
Post edited at 16:06
beervoucher 28 Dec 2013

The deuter 35+ guide sack is well worth a look at, It caters for the skis or board. ive also used it whilst cycling from rowerdenan to glencoe packed with kit, arrived with no sore points.. Got to say its one sturdy well made pack with real comfort whilst loaded.
 AdrianC 28 Dec 2013

Just replaced my day touring pack with one of these... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salewa-Mountain-Touring-Rucksack-Litres/dp/B004Z0MC... which seems to have all the required bells and whistles but may be a bit small for multi-day trips?
In reply to AdrianC:

Hi, an unusual choice, but that does not in any way mean bad. Seems off the beaten track, no bad thing! Could you expand on why you like this? The krab-to-close thing, is it good or is it a gimmick? I like the idea of the less mianstream option here.
 AdrianC 28 Dec 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

The krab close thing is a little slower than a plastic clicker but it's fine now I'm used to it and it means no straps dangling around. I like having the options of putting skis on the sides of the pack or together diagonally across the back and it's well enough set up for carrying axes & crampons. There's also the a separate inside pocket so you can keep snowy stuff like skins away from the spare jacket etc. The top closure drawstring is well thought out, too. If there'd been a 45 l or 50 l version I'd probably have gone for the extra space but other than that it's good.
 HeMa 29 Dec 2013

define what you mean with ski touring...

day tours, no glacier stuff.

Something like 20 to 25 liters is enough (skins on the way down, perhaps gloves a thin belay jacket and some snacks plus water). Just make sure the ski-carry is good (more often than not, diagonal carry) and that you can also attach yer brain-lid (if you're using such).

Perhaps something like Arva patroller 24
http://en.arva-equipment.com/fiche/patroller-24.html
Haglöfs Skra 26
http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/backpacksbags/ski/unisex/skr%C3%A5_26...

And numerous others.

If you're definition also includes glaciers, rappelling and all that fun... Get something in the 40 to 50 liter region. And best stick to models that are made for ski touring / -mountaineering. Like Haglöfs Rand 50 and so on.

The odd 30 liter models are a bad compromise. Not big enough for proper stuff, yet too big to be used on mellower tours (as in you'll pack too much crap with ya). Unless yer hudge, when simply even the smallest belay jacket is around 25 liters in volume.

Of course, if you don't know what to do, then the odd 30 liter model will be fine. But as mentioned above, you can't get all the stuff with ya or you'll bring too much.

My pick for the pack has been Arva Rescue 27 (old model). Which seems to be ok, perhaps a tad big for non technical touring and I can just about squueze in some technical glacier stuff in (but not the rope).
OP PontiusPirate 29 Dec 2013
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks HeMa (and others) - I did state multi-day touring as the use-case.
I've already got a smaller sack for piste-skiing, "side-country" and the like.

Ta,

PP.
 HeMa 29 Dec 2013

> Thanks HeMa (and others) - I did state multi-day touring as the use-case.

Norway (no huts) or Alps (or other civilized locales). If you'll be using huts, then pretty much the same as for day stuff. If full on BC, yer hosed or need to sacks. One to lug all the stuff (usually 60 to 80 liter sack) and the day-sack. Or if yer smart, a sled/pulka for the grub and camping plus the day-sack for touring.

James Thacker 30 Dec 2013
In reply to HeMa:

Like a lot of Haglöfs sacks the Skra is a total tardis at 26 litres. I use mine for week long hut to hut tours not problem. Including crampons, rope and glacier kit etc.
Srick 30 Dec 2013
In reply to James Thacker:

Ive been veiwing this for some time. Im going to bit the bullet and buy it!
 James Thacker 01 Jan 2014
In reply to RichardAWatson: I do think the Skra is a very good product. Might be a bit tight for some but it does mean that you don't take the kitchen sink! Only thing its missing is an axe holder, but I added a small strap on the back, or with a short axe it will fit inside the shovel pocket.
Srick 02 Jan 2014
In reply to James Thacker:

I went to craigdon the other day to buy this. To my dismay I found out that your right, no ice axe loop. So I didnt buy it. Baught a ortivox freeride 26 instead. Bit heavyer but you can take the back protector out. It comes with allot more gadgets.. however its a bit pricier. Dont mind that though. Ive managed to get my entire touring kit in a 26l bag im happy!

Though with all these different pockets you get for spcific kit in a touring/freeride bag, I do think this "capacity" stuff is a bit missleading. Every mate ive spoke to said "26l? Bit small?" Yes its 26l but a absolute tardis of a thing if its fitted everything in. And a million times better to ski with then many touring with climbing packs!
 James Thacker 08 Jan 2014
In reply to RichardAWatson: Noticed the new version in Snells in Chamonix the other day. It comes with an axe loop and bungy attachment.

Different manufacturers have always measured their bags differently, and they aren't directly comparable. Nice to stand in a lift queue and pretend you have a weeks kit in a 26l bag when actually you are carrying 40l of stuff...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...