UKC

learn to trad climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jim 29 Dec 2013
hi i am looking for somewhere to learn to trad climb, i have climbed indoor for almost 15 years and have top roped out door and have done a bit of sport climbing as well as second a few trad climbs. but now i find my self wanting to be able to lead on trad routes. so i was looking for any recomondations or any great experiances people have had with uk based companies
thanks jim
 jezb1 29 Dec 2013
In reply to jim:

I've emailed you Jim.
Jez
 Mark Kemball 29 Dec 2013
In reply to jim:

It would be a good idea to say which part of the country you're based so people could hook up with you. Worth watching these forums for posts from aspirant MIAs looking for practice clients. If you can afford it, a "learn to lead" course at somewhere like Plas y Brenin would set you safely in the right direction. I can recommend friends who instruct leading in the South West.
jim 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball:
I live in oxford lol. So I will have to travel where ever I go but obviously the less traveling the better as it will just bump the price up eithen more. Thanks Jim

jezb1 30 Dec 2013
In reply to jim:

Replied to your email Jim.
Cheers, Jez
 THETWIG007 31 Dec 2013
In reply to jim:

Try these chaps, really helpful.

http://ascential-climbing.co.uk
 Mark Kemball 01 Jan 2014
In reply to jim:

Background reading - all you really need to know (and more) in fact - Libby Peters book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Climbing-Essential-Techniques-Mountain/dp/0954...
th1 12 Jan 2014
In reply to jim: Sorry, long post alert!

In addition to buying/reading manuals and going on training courses, nothing wrong with that, just keep seconding as much as possible on single pitch trad. If you are doing plenty of seconding involving gear removal, especially on well protected steeper and hard-er routes (HS-HVS), then you should be picking up trad skills and be starting leading. If you can second any route cleanly, then with some basic trad skills you stand a good chance of leading it. IMO, seconding then leading can sometimes give a better feeling of achievement than just on-siting. And it may be safer if doing grades nearer your limit.

And this might be stating the obvious, but as a beginner stick to leading well protected routes (and learn to spot them at the crag) and don´t underestimate being an attentive, serious belayer (I´m not assuming you aren´t already!). It helps find experienced trad climber partners to learn from, particularyly the experienced older variety, if you always come across as a committed belayer . Obviously once again, you may have some already.
th1 12 Jan 2014
In reply to jim:

oh, from a low-intermediate climber (VS-HVS), with about 15 years climbing intermittently and about 80 trad leads,
 sid68 12 Jan 2014
In reply to jim:
I've been out with the guys from Ascential (www.ascential-climbing.co.uk) on various courses including trad climbing, mountain days and navigation courses. Always really good fun and informative trips out so would highly recommend them if you want to develop new skills.
They are based in Worcestershire but travel all over; North Wales, Black Mountains, Pembroke, Wye Valley, Cheddar, Brean and the Peak District.

Post edited at 18:56
 Mark Haward 13 Jan 2014
In reply to jim:

How about looking for a local club that may suit you?
th1 13 Jan 2014
In reply to jim:

Ah yes, they did say "somewhere" to learn trad, oops missed that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...