UKC

Southern Sandstone Conservation - SVG Events 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graham Ad 29 Dec 2013
Hi All – I hope you’ve all had a happy Christmas…

It’s 10 years ago that we cut back the trees and undergrowth to rescue Bull’s Hollow from the primeval jungle that was enveloping the crag and returned it to a (sometimes!) climbable crag.

The Sandstone Volunteers’ Group really came into being as a result of that campaign and had done so much great work since then, including the current major campaign at Harrison’s.

A huge thank you to all who organised and helped cut the 2nd compartment at Harrison’s on the weekend of 30th November and 1st December 2013. The difference is very noticeable and will really make a difference to the coming season.

Of course, Harrison’s is not the only sandstone crag and we have some work to do at three other crags to keep them climbable and their paths in good order.

Firstly, High Rocks. The gardeners at High Grades (the owners of High Rocks) have done quite a lot of work over the past 18 months or so, keeping back undergrowth and clearing paths. That is, of course, their job but helps with the general maintenance and accessibility of the crag. From the climbing perspective, there are two main areas of concern, namely the Rhododendron growth, mainly at the top of the crag and the Sycamore growth at the northern end of the crag below Salad Days and down to the First Crack. We’ve not cut the Rhodies at HR for around three years and they really need some work.

Consequently, subject to confirmation, we will be working at High Rocks on Saturday 1st February 2014 from 09:30. If we can get a reasonable turn out, the work will be finished faster.

If you can come out to help on the 1st Feb, please let me know as soon as possible.

We will also be working at Bull’s Hollow to complete the valuable work carried out by Croydon Mountaineering Club back on the 16th November. The work here involves clearing the area below the crag between Gangway Wall and Possibility Wall and also some gardening work on the crag itself. The date for this work at Bull’s Hollow is the 22nd February 2013 from 09:30. If you can help on this day, please let me know. If we get a reasonable turnout here, the work could be done in half a day. We will have a fire here!!

The Sandstone Volunteers’ Group relies upon you, the volunteers so please come out and help. More information as plans firm up. As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let me have them!

Many thanks and happy new year...
Graham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...