UKC

Ellie Goulding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Dec 2013
How crap is she? Bloody hell - weak, pathetic voice, singing crap songs and not even a looker.

Is her dad a record company big-wig or something?

People moan about X-Factor, but she wouldn't make it through the first auditions.
 Glyno 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I'm convinced that having a pathetically weak, slightly out of tune voice is the vogue among young female vocalists.
OP Yanis Nayu 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Hardly compares to Adele, for example, does she?
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Nope
 JH74 30 Dec 2013

Good Answer.
 BStar 30 Dec 2013

Leave Ellie alone! She is dreamy. Maybe not her newer stuff, but her acoustic stuff is mesmerizing...
In reply to BStar:

> Leave Ellie alone! She is dreamy. Maybe not her newer stuff, but her acoustic stuff is mesmerizing...

You must take drugs - it's the only explanation.
 aln 31 Dec 2013

> How crap is she? not even a looker.

Exactly. Why are women you don't find attractive even allowed to make music?
OP Yanis Nayu 31 Dec 2013
In reply to aln:

That's not the point. The point is that people of both sexes get on in the performing arts because of their looks. I don't agree with it, but that's how it is. The point I was making was that I can't even see how she made it because of her looks.

I'll leave you to be professionally offended though.
 Blue Straggler 31 Dec 2013
You're being as odious as sjc can be sometimes!

What little I've heard of Goulding suggests that her current stuff is maybe somewhat weak, but when she first appeared on the scene about 4 years ago she was producing decent likeable accessible pop-folk stuff and was feted by the industry for doing so.

What records have you made, and how much of a "looker" are you?
Post edited at 12:07
 Dauphin 31 Dec 2013

You look in the wrong place for talented musicians if you listen to top 40 stations, radio 1 etc. There are lots of great female artists out there.

D
In reply to Blue Straggler:

What a specious argument! I shall remind you of that next time to criticise a film. I'm not making a shed load of money out of it.

It simply beggars belief to me that she is so "successful", given that she so little discernible talent.
In reply to Dauphin:

It's not the lack of good female artists I'm bemoaning, it's the airtime given to such a poor one!
 Dauphin 31 Dec 2013
Sorry, never heard her warbling. Pretty much guaranteed to be shite after I saw here interviewed on something or other. Thanks for confirming my musical Spidey senses. Point being the worlds full of shit art, just switch it off and go something less boring instead. Worse than Miley, Britney, Shania,Gaga, Whitney, Aguilera? There is a long list of woeful female pop music.

D
Post edited at 12:43
 Robert Durran 31 Dec 2013

> How crap is she? Bloody hell - weak, pathetic voice, singing crap songs and not even a looker.

I saw her on the telly a few days ago (not heard of her before). I thought it was refreshing to hear a pop singer who could sing nicely rather than just shout and a bonus that she is gorgeous too.
In reply to Robert Durran:

She doesn't shout, we can agree on that)))
 frankbabs 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

She reminds me of a lot recently marketed young female singers with a very weak voice and unable to hold a note, eg Dido, Vickers, et al. Not one of are anywhere near as good as Adele!!!

Cheers.
 Chris the Tall 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

> You look in the wrong place for talented musicians if you listen to top 40 stations, radio 1 etc. There are lots of great female artists out there.

> D

Agree

I have heard of Ellie Goulding, but not very often (on 6music) and what I have heard is pretty bland pop.

But in the last couple of years I bought stuff by Laura Marling, Emmy the Great, Daughter, War Paint, First Aid Kit, Still Corners, Rachel Zeffira, Florence and the Machine, LadyHawke, Ladytron, La Roux and quite a few others. So many great women in music these days.

My wife seems to think it's odd that half my music collection has female vocalists - so much for the sisterhood !!
 ThunderCat 31 Dec 2013

I've got no idea who she is so I googled her and looked her up on youtube.

I still have no idea who she is.

Is she a Britains got x-factor idol person?
 Dauphin 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Add Heartless Bastards to that list.

D
 ThunderCat 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I think Liz Frazer has a divine voice.
 The New NickB 31 Dec 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Is she a Britains got x-factor idol person?

No, she is bland, but better than that lot, I'm not sure quite what she has done to offend he OP.
In reply to The New NickB:

Occupied my TV viewing schedule for about 3 minutes of my life that I'm not getting back.
 The New NickB 31 Dec 2013

I'd get rid of the TV, I have to contend with a 12 year old with access to a dozen or more music channels, there is much worse out there than Miss Goulding.
 Blue Straggler 31 Dec 2013

> What a specious argument!

Of course it is a specious argument - deliberately so! It was actually an elaborate version of a "smiley" and was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I forgot that you don't do subtlety!

All that said.....
> I shall remind you of that next time to criticise a film.

My criticisms are generally somewhat more constructive than yours. I've never said "this was pathetic and didn't even have anyone good-looking in it".

Sorry, crystal ball malfunction.

What's the point of constructive criticism for someone who will never read it?

Anyway, I'll take your advice "Ellie, take some singing lessons and try singing in a voice that isn't so weak and reedy. Write a song that doesn't repeat the same word about 20 times. "
 Blue Straggler 01 Jan 2014

I owe you an apology - I have been similarly pointlessly mean about the actress Emily Blunt before now, so it is hypocritical of me to harp on at you. However, it's made me reassess Ms. Blunt more favourably, so at least some good has come of this!
OP Yanis Nayu 01 Jan 2014

Don't worry about it)))
 Chris the Tall 04 Jan 2014

Just watching Ms Goulding doing Burn on TOTP and it's by no means the worst thing on there. They ought to get her to do Eurovision next year, she'd be perfect, and might even get into the top 15

Robin Thicke, John Newman, Jessie j - now that is truely shite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...