UKC

Decathlon -How has it taken me this long?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 30 Dec 2013
Ok so I am a bit late in discovering Decathlon as a source for outdoor gear, I always just assumed it was cheap tat that was not even worth considering. However after reading a few post about their mountaineering trousers and with a trip to Scotland upcoming and no money in my bank I went and had a look.

Anyway they had a bit of a sale on so for the same price as 1 Patagonia base layer I got the Symond softshell mountaineering pants, 2 winter wieght base layers with 1/2 length zips, and 3 pairs of gloves. I was gobsmacked by the quality for the money charged and I say that as somebody who used to manufacture sewn goods so I know what I am looking at so to speak. Truly great value.

My only concern is that paying such low prices mean somebody is getting bent over and its probably the poor bugger who makes it out in Bangladesh or China. Feel a bit conflicted about that to be honest.

Anyway no real point to this post really other than I was shocked at what you get for your money, feel a bit silly having paid big money all these years for products that are maybe only 10% better in performance and quality, especially for someone who doesn't live in extreme mountain conditions many days of the year.
 tjin 31 Dec 2013
In reply to gcandlin:

There are plenty of inexpensive, fairly good manufactures out there. It's generally relative small differences in quality/functionality, but big difference in price.

Decathlon is a good source for them, but others can be found at smaller online shops.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Dec 2013
In reply to gcandlin:

I think Decathlon are a bit like Aldi - they have a relatively limited number of lines but it is all decent stuff - and as you say, the price is often a real surprise.

Chris
 JamButty 31 Dec 2013
In reply to gcandlin:

I love Decathlon, could spend a fortune each visit. Some great quality stuff at good prices. Before they came to Britain, we used to divert on hols in France to go find one.

Just got some Asics for half price.

Anyone know how good their trail running shoes are - the Kalenji brand?
The shop assistant told me they were great, but he would....

wbo 31 Dec 2013
In reply to gcandlin:
Shoes tend to work for you or not. If you like Asics shoes you'll ptobably like them
In reply to tjin:

> There are plenty of inexpensive, fairly good manufactures out there. It's generally relative small differences in quality/functionality, but big difference in price.

> Decathlon is a good source for them, but others can be found at smaller online shops.

I disagree about Decathlon being a good source for different "inexpensive, fairly good manufactures". Decathlon has gone far more 'own brand' only in recent years, often the only stuff available is their own brand offerings. You used to be able to pick up some great footwear there but the selection is now mostly only Quechua.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Not sure that's totally right - the 1st page of their boots sale page (UK shops) has offerings from Asolo, Salomon, Colombia and Technica as well as the usual Quechua stuff for example,

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Not sure that's totally right - the 1st page of their boots sale page (UK shops) has offerings from Asolo, Salomon, Colombia and Technica as well as the usual Quechua stuff for example,

They might claim to have these other brands, but they are rarely on display in any decent quantities in the Sheffield shop these days. They used to be.

Alan
 ThunderCat 31 Dec 2013
In reply to JamButty:

> I love Decathlon, could spend a fortune each visit.

yeah, second that.

I'm quite impressed by the bike shop there too (Stockport is my local one).

> They might claim to have these other brands, but they are rarely on display in any decent quantities in the Sheffield shop these days. They used to be.

> Alan

Fair enough, I haven't been to the Sheffield branch for quite a while. Always make a point of calling in whilst in France though

Chris
 Doug 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

even in France (assuming the several Paris shops are typical) they have far more 'own brand' stuff now than in the past, especially for clothes, shoes, boots etc
 Daysleeper 03 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

Having just tried to buy a tent from them, (online said available in store) even some of the stuff they say they have...they don't

Hey ho, shops in France were great, not enough in the UK yet.
 The Lemming 03 Jan 2014

> They might claim to have these other brands, but they are rarely on display in any decent quantities in the Sheffield shop these days. They used to be.

> Alan

I too was not impressed with my trip to the Bolton branch in December. It seemed to have less on display than 3-4 years ago.
 Firestarter 03 Jan 2014

I got a pair of Lowa Renegades from them - I guess it's a matter of luck?
 Clarence 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

I go to the Nottingham store while the women are in Next or Ikea pretty much every week and some aisles seem to have a very rapid turnover so if there is good stuff it soon gets picked over.
 Firestarter 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Clarence:

Yeah noticed that - and unless you have male size 6 or 12 feet you're even less likely to get lucky. I did get a Petzl Corax harness for £29.99 though (labelled wrong I'm sure but not complaining!)
In reply to gcandlin:

I hate you..... On your advice i just browsed the decatholon website and spent 300 quid.......

Ah well it all seems like really good stuff and it's going to get used and trashed whatever the price!!

Cheers
OP gcandlin 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Glad to be of service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...