UKC

Padding out large boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 31 Dec 2013
I've got myself a pair of Scarpa Mantas which are a half size up from my perfectly fitting Scarpa hiking boots, in the belief that winter boots needed to be a bit larger. Actually they're now a bit too big, even with a thin liner sock and thick winter socks. I've stuck an insole in but can anyone recommend any way of padding the boot out to create a better fit (something stuffed in the toe end maybe?)
 HeMa 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trevers:

New boots...
In reply to Trevers:
Could try volume reducers and tongue depressors, but my guess that they may not work well due to the stiffness of the boots.
 Mountain Llama 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trevers: what's the problem with the fit, a few details would help?

nniff 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trevers:
Two pairs of thick socks and volume reducers. Works for me and my awkwardly shaped feet.

Billhook 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trevers:
If they fit like they are just half a size too big, it just might be that until they get a bit more flexible you just can't lace them up tight enough.

Otherwise I'd have thought the other suggestions re footbeds etc., will do fine. I certainly would not use padding in the front - your toes - and your climbing will be better if you could, to find something that'll fill the heel part up first.
Post edited at 17:29
 RJP 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trevers:

What size are you? I've got a pair of 10.5 (45) boots that turned out to be the wrong last shape for me, so had to get the Charmoz instead. I have these Mantas available should that be your size?
 crayefish 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Will be tough... most things (such as extra socks) are going to have some degree of give to them so your foot will likely not be completely stable in them. As Trevers said, new boots are the best bet. (try swapping with someone who got theirs too small?
 Andrew Lodge 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Padding out large boots............doesn't work. End of I'm afraid, best to sell them before they are used any more and buy some new ones.

The more padding you add the more movement you will get in it and whilst mountain boots don't stretch out much as you wear them in they certainly won't get any smaller.
 Yanis Nayu 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Surely you should pad-out small boobs, not large ones?
Mike-Tango 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Trevers:

I lived in my mantas for a month in Switzerland , brand new boots 1 size up on me. put superfeet in and thick socks (icebreaker mountaineer) and it was a month of laughing up there. Did few climbs with boots on for 30+ hours and didn't get one blister.
 cliff shasby 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Trevers:
Get some icebreaker mountaineer socks,these will make up at least half a size on their own...
 nniff 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Andrew Lodge:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> Padding out large boots............doesn't work. End of I'm afraid, best to sell them before they are used any more and buy some new ones.
>
I'm afraid that that is the most arrant nonsense. It's worked fine for me for over 30 years with boots of every different size, shape, purpose and manufacturer.

My current mountain boots (la Sportiva) need two thick pairs of socks and a volume reducer. Half a size down is too small. Their predecessors (Scarpa) needed two pairs of thick socks (half a size down was too small). I usually try on about half a dozen different manufacturers' boots before I buy a pair. The best fit I've ever managed for mountain boots (Galibier - remember them?) was a thick pair and medium pair.

My currnet walking boots (Boreal) need a thick pair and a liner.

In terms of performance, I don't have any issues with foot movement. Filling the gaps in the fit of the boot with wool works fine, so long as the overall length of the boot is correct. I also keeps my toes nice and warm.

In an ideal world, someone would make a boot that follows the shape of my foot and ankle - sadly it appears that they do not
OP Trevers 02 Jan 2014
In reply to nniff:

That's an awful lot of disparity between sizes, particularly with your La Sportivas. Don't they make them by hand, so there is often a difference between two of the same size?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...