UKC

Best value multi use mountain boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llanberis36 02 Jan 2014
Considering a boot for yearly mountain walking, and also the occasional visit to summer alps doing easy mixed

Looked at Trangos so far

Any ideas welcome
 StephenS 02 Jan 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

Scarpa manta's
 RobertKett 02 Jan 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

I'd focus on getting boots which best fit your particular feet, to be honest. Comfort is far more important than saving a few quid; your feet will thank you
alexgoodey 03 Jan 2014
In reply to RobertKett:

I went to Cotswold to buy some Scarpa Activ SLs (thanks to recommendations from this forum) and they are great, but more importantly, the shop staff wouldn't let me leave until they were satisfied the boots were properly fitted. Very impressed, also learned a thing or two about boot fitting (and considering I have worked in an outdoor shop myself, that was a pleasant surprise) and maintenance. I'm also now receiving emails from cotswold to remind me to perform certain care functions to maintain the boots too, which actually are also quite handy.

So praise for the boots, and service specifically from Cotswold Outdoor (I'm told they sell other boots)
 crayefish 03 Jan 2014
In reply to RobertKett:

Exactly! A few hours spent annoying the crap out of the sales assistant as you try on every possible boot (climbing every stair in the process) will be well spent.
In reply to llanberis36:
For all year Uk use up to and including winter c1 crampon conditions, I have always highly rated Scarpa SLs. I do not mind the weight as I need the ankle protection they provide and even in the heat of summer, they are not too warm being leather with no waterproof liner. Last long time if you look after the leather and waterproof for many years. The current version is excellent but I do have a slight doubt as to whether they will last as long as previous pairs as I think the thickness of the leather has reduced slightly. I discussed this with a Cotswold member of staff and he felt similar. Time will tell - they are coming up to 2 yrs and still waterproof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...