UKC

winter skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinlevya82 04 Jan 2014
Any recommendations for winter skills courses?
 imkevinmc 04 Jan 2014
In reply to martinlevya82:

Glenmore Lodge
 bash291 04 Jan 2014

I did a two days winter skills course through Steven Fallon,last weekend.It was ibased in the Lochaber area.First day we went on Anoach mor and was taught the basics, then on the second day we put the skills to use by doing the CMD arête on to Ben Nevis. Really enjoyed the two days, well worth the money and would highly recommend doing a course.
 crayefish 04 Jan 2014

I did a week's mountaineering course with Mike from Mountain and Sea Guides. A really top guy with 40 years experience and a range of courses. He is also based in Torridon so the place is really uncrowded. I seem to recall we saw no one the entire week on the mountain.

Plus I think you'll see a picture of me (the mountain banana) on his technical mountaineering course page

Can't recommend the guy highly enough. Plus his courses are very good value.
 daniel_c_baron 04 Jan 2014

I'd recommend Lakeland Ascents, I've been climbing with the owner for about 4 years (no money has exchanged hands for this plug He's a great climbing partner and obviously I trust him with my life. He taught me winter skills when we first started climbing together, he was patient, knowledgable and he's good craic. He usually buys the beer at the pub afterwards as well
JP88 06 Jan 2014

Mountain Independence (http://www.mountainindependence.co.uk/) run courses based in Cairngorms. Been out in winter numerous times with Stuart and would definitely recommend them.
David Buckett 06 Jan 2014

In Fort William, The Highland Mountain Company, or The Lake District Walker also run out of Fort William for their winter skills.
 MattJ753 06 Jan 2014

guidedmountain.co.uk

A guy called Alec, very helpful, knowledgable, etc
 forcan 07 Jan 2014

Glenmore Lodge is always a good start - they have all the gear, accommodation, a bar, and you're right on the doorstep of the Cairngorms.

There are plenty of other guides offer courses, get in touch with a few and ask away!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...