UKC

Winter Point and Shoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RichieBizzle 05 Jan 2014
Hi all,

Every year I go Winter Climbing and every year I come back and am desperately dissapointed in the quality of my photos... this is particularly true when the sun shines over in Europe!

Truth be told I know next to nothing about photography and I don't expect that to change so can anyone recommend a good quality point and shoot that tends to work well in snowy/icy/sunny conditions?

I have been using a Canon Powershot S90.

Thanks all,

Rich
 Dan Arkle 05 Jan 2014
In reply to RichieBizzle:

Hi Rich,
Unfortunate news - the S90 is good, light, now cheap and very capable - I use one while climbing and haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.

Whilst something like the Sony RX100 (universally well reviewed)is newer and better ( I haven't used one in winter, so won't comment on that), I think that learning to shoot in manual, RAW and buying Lightroom is probably the way forward for you.

Richard Carter 05 Jan 2014

Could you show us a sample? I suspect all you need to know if how to add a bit of exposure compensation (google it) for when the light conditions aren't great. RAW, Lightroom, etc, is a quick way to suck all the fun out of taking pictures when you're out on the hill!
 alastairbegley 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

i use the rx100 and the quality of the photos is great. But in winter gloves it is pretty hard to use.
 Siward 05 Jan 2014

Have you tried selecting the 'snow' setting on the camera?
 gunbo 05 Jan 2014

Was going to suggest the snow setting you get on some cameras I dare say changing your white balance would help as well
 TobyA 05 Jan 2014
 JH74 05 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I want to buy, do up and live in the barn in pic 2 from your first link. And I thought I preferred hills too. Strange...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...