UKC

Rope Race Stockport - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Otis 06 Jan 2014
Hi all,

Browsing the BMC’s ‘find a climbing wall’ website I stumbled across Rope Race in Stockport. This is close enough to tempt me for an occasional visit for a change of scenery. However, I’ll be honest and say that their website isn’t the greatest and I’m struggling to work out how extensive the wall is and whether it’s worth the extra drive past Stockport’s Awesome Walls?

Also, the BMC website states it has ‘ENP placements for lead climbing’ – not something I’ve heard of before, so any explanation would be much appreciated

Any thoughts or comments from Rope Race regulars?

Cheers,

Mike.
 steveth 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

Yes, it's worth looking in for a change. I'm an AW regular but I go to Rope Race now and again for a bit of variety.

It's much smaller than AW but it's got a bit of everything.

The ENP placements are intended to replicate trad protection indoors (not entirely sucessfully in my view). Reception have a set of correctly-sized nuts to use. It's only in place on one line if I recall correctly.

Steve
In reply to Otis:

I'm not a big fan of Rope race- I certainly wouldn't drive past AW to go to it...

find the route setting to be distinctly average, with a lot of the holds old and in need of replacement. It's £8, even just to boulder, which is more than a boulder elsewhere in Manchester.

The staff are friendly, but the wall feels outdated and in need of some serious TLC.

HTH,

Will
 Mike Highbury 06 Jan 2014
In reply to steveth:
> The ENP placements are intended to replicate trad protection indoors (not entirely sucessfully in my view). Reception have a set of correctly-sized nuts to use. It's only in place on one line if I recall correctly.

Once upon a time there was something similar at the Castle. (Give me 5 minutes with a old SS guide and I'll tell you who made them.) Didn't last because no one in London could place gear with any degree of competence even when all they had to do was put a rock 5 in the slot.
Clauso 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> ... Didn't last because no one in London could place gear with any degree of competence even when all they had to do was put a rock 5 in the slot.

I'll bet that Mick Fowler might have managed to do so. Probably.

stratandrew 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

Rope Race is an excellent wall, long established and very popular with locals. The couple who run the wall are top notch, very friendly. Has a good selection of routes, bouldering and a dedicated dry tooling room.

I'd highly recommend it.
 The Norris 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

And it has Peapod!
 Stoff 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

During winter I climb at both AW in Stockport and Rope Race. Personally I prefer RR as I find the routes more realistically graded and more imaginatively set. It is smaller than AW but I like the "family" feel that comes with this. The staff are happy to help or leave you alone as you wish.

As mentioned the featured walls with the Pod has to be worth a go !

Enjoy,

Chris

MischaHY 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:
Rope Race is great, I grew up 5 mins away so have climbed there for years. Contrary to what others have said, plenty of new holds are used for the routes and the bouldering is just as good as any of the awesome wall venues, with added pleasure of being much more peaceful, and dare I say it, much cleaner too. They run a bouldering ladder over the autumn/winter which means a new set of 100 problems from V0 to V8+ every month. The feature walls as previously mentioned are ace, and even have jamming cracks should you need the practice.

As a member you can climb for £5, and they have a lunchtime deal 11:30-2:00pm, where you pay £3 and get a free drink (which, might I add, is cheaper than awesome walls). I can't see why more people don't go there. The grading is also not soft like it is at other venues I could mention.
Post edited at 22:28
 wobblydave 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

I visited once when working up that way and finished early for the day.

nice clear boulder problems and very friendly staff. It was on of the best walls I ever went to because they were so nice and I would highly recommend it
 Thrudge 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

It's great, mate. Go.
rob sykes 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

Hi Otis

I visited the Rope Race last night for the first time and would happily recommend it. It's much nearer to where I live than Stockport so it's less time in the car which more time climbing. I'll probably only get there once a week so there are more than enough routes of varying styles (slab, overhang, featured) to keep me occupied. Didn't boulder but the bouldering area looks good and it looks like they've got a good 'ladder' comp going on at the mo. Good atmosphere with friendly staff and customers. Well worth a visit.

Cheers

Rob
OP Otis 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Otis:

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It looks like the place may be worth a visit sometime - I'll let you all know how I get on.

Cheers,

Mike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...