UKC

car hire geneva airport, france / switzerland ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 07 Jan 2014

i used to do this 3/4 times a year and it always worked out much cheaper to hire from the french side, but i have nt been for a couple of years.although its a slight hassle to walk through the airport and cross the boarder (particularly getting one of those silly big snow board / ski bags through those ridiculous double doors) . I ve just checked prices on rentalcars.com and holiday autos and the price looks to be a tiny bit cheaper hiring on the swiss side.
am i correct in thinking on return from cham can you get to the swiss side of the airport without buying a vignette (sp) ?
am i missing something else re comparing the the costs ?
Post edited at 16:09
 uncdunc 07 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:

Mike,
Yes, you can get to the Swiss side avoiding the Bardonnex border where they check for vignettes. Just google maps a route back and you're sorted.
Also, hiring from the swiss side means you get winter tyres which they do not supply on the French side.
OP mike123 07 Jan 2014
In reply to uncdunc:
thanks mate. do cars hired from the swiss side automatically come with snow tyres ? if so thats a no brainer for me . had a couple of epics getting back to the airport over the years.
 sebastien 07 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:

Hello Mike,

if you rent on the Swiss side, the vignette comes with the car.

Sébastien
 SiWood 07 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:

Dont cars hired from the swiss side come with a vignette on already?
 yorkshireman 07 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:

> thanks mate. do cars hired from the swiss side automatically come with snow tyres ? if so thats a no brainer for me . had a couple of epics getting back to the airport over the years.

Yes. Winter tyres are mandatory in Switzerland but not in France, so the rental companies there are obliged to supply them in winter. Along with the vignette, hiring from the Swiss side is always the best option IMHO (driving through downtown GVA is never much fun).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...