UKC

rucksack recomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 08 Jan 2014
What pack do folk use then?

Looking for it being at least 40ltr as it has to be suitable for mountain rescue, winter climbing, the Alps and also lightweight overnight trips.

Oh and I am 6ft3 so a longer backlength.

Cheers,

AT
 martinph78 08 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Deuter guide (if it fits).
m0unt41n 08 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Podsac Blackice - will take full winter kit, can clip radio to compression straps on side, bomb proof construction. If you lengthen lid straps you can strap in a rope bag or crag bag under the lid. You will need size 3.
 WhipperSnapper 08 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Aiguille Alpine Zenith, they come in short, standard and long
 cornishlee 09 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:
I've long been a fan of my Deuter sack, now knackered. I'm actually looking to replace it with a Mammut though, which also looks good and - possibly important for you - has an adjustable length back.
Post edited at 10:59
 Exile 09 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Aguille - go to see them and they'll make one to measure that will still be a lot less than most sacs.
In reply to An Triubhas:

I like my osprey 38ltr. Cant remember what model it is now. But it was the most comfortable i tried on when weighted in Snow & Rock, covent garden. It was purely on comfort and ergonomics and functionality.
 crayefish 09 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:
Ak57 for me (though they make a 47 and 37 ltr too). Super tough as made of Kevlar, reasonably water proof and at only 1.1 kgs (for 57 ltr) its f*cking light. Large enough for multi-day mountaineering trips (camping) or compresses down well so it can be used for day trips and even cragging!

Oh and I am 6'4".
Post edited at 15:03
m0unt41n 09 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:
Trouble I found with the AK47X was that the floating lid floated all over, the strap buckles didn't hold it properly and the Velcro band was a faulty design so you had to tie them off. Also the shoulder strap buckles wore and slipped after about a year on both an AK47 and AK47+X. In the end I replaced them with a Podsac Black Ice which is as tough as the Crux, similar weight, but I found a bit better finished. But its down to detail and thats personal preferences.

NB added ak47X lid floats at begining, not the ak47
Post edited at 15:14
 crayefish 09 Jan 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

Yeah I have found that at the back of the rucksack (closest to your back) the floating lid sometimes didn't quite sit over the edge of the frame but in reality I have never found it a problem. I have had no problems with the shoulder buckles though. Have you emailed the guy from Crux? He is pretty helpful on sorting those things (I recall they have recently updated a bunch of buckles).

What problems did you have with the velcro?
 CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I found the AK47 interfered with my helmet when I looking up.
 crayefish 09 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Not really had a problem with mine. Admittedly when I tilt my head back as far as it will go then my helmet does hit the frame. Only found this to be an issue on one slightly overhanging bit of crag (well the bit before the overhang) but on the mountain its been fine for me.

I guess that would be more of a problem for vertical/overhanging ice etc but that's not something I've done.
 CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:
For me helmet clearence is a must for climbing bags, I simple won't buy one if it inteferes with the movement of my head with a helmet on.

Matt Buchanan 09 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Hi mate,

I'd say Osprey Mutant 38 in a long back length. I'm 6'3" and find this really comfy and a lot bigger than 38 litres! I've had a Crux 47X but wasn't comfy and it got in the way whilst wearing a helmet as well.

I bought a Mutant 28 cheap in a summer sale and now use this Winter Climbing etc as it's a bit more compact. 38l version would be better for MR work, overnighters etc but still good for climbing.

Cheers,
Matt
 crayefish 09 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Totally understand. You do a lot more vertical winter stuff than me though Only time I really look directly upwards on the mountain is when I cursing some deity for various reasons!

Funnily enough despite my height, I was told to try on the medium just in case (presumably to prevent such things) and there was more clearance; only trouble was it limited my vertical arm movement a little so went for the large.
 JonLongshanks 09 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Deuter Guide.
 richardw87 09 Jan 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

> Podsac Blackice - will take full winter kit, can clip radio to compression straps on side, bomb proof construction. If you lengthen lid straps you can strap in a rope bag or crag bag under the lid. You will need size 3.

I second this... ace pack! Bombproof, comfortable and can carry a sizeable amount using the inner 'skirt' thingy.... To give you an idea of sizing, size 3 is really comfortable for me and I'm 6'2"
ridgback 09 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Another vote for the Black Ice, fabulous piece of kit. Virtually indestructible, highly recommend. Aiguille make good sacks to.
OP AdCo82 14 Jan 2014
Right folks....

Narrowed it down to either of the Podsacs.

Either the Black Ice in a size 3 or the Alpine 50 in size B.

I have tried them both on and both fit well. HELP, which should I go for???

nathan79 14 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

> Right folks....

> Narrowed it down to either of the Podsacs.

> Either the Black Ice in a size 3 or the Alpine 50 in size B.

> I have tried them both on and both fit well. HELP, which should I go for???

I've got the Alpine 40. Great pack fully loaded or stripped down. My only regret is I bought size A and over time I've found it too short, but I can live with it.
Haven't checked out the Black Ice in the flesh but don't think it has the roll top closure that the Alpine does. Makes the alpine very handy when it comes to using it in it's stripped down form, but it can be a bit of a pain when it omes to getting in and out of the sack.
IMHO go for the Alpine if you're likely to used it stripped down, the Black Ice if not. Or just toss a coin! :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...