UKC

What should I eat before a Wall session

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 09 Jan 2014
The session will involve 3 x 25min climbing sessions,

1 x warm up focusing on a specific aspect, eg footwork
1 x clip dropping and trying to fail on routes session
1 x endurance climbing at grade or two lower than my limit

For Breakfast I have Porridge
Mid morning Banana
Home made veg soup for lunch
Apple and Orange in Afternoon
?????????????
9.30 pm ish When I get home from wall Quinoa Chicken and Veg
What should I eat before the wall session which starts at 6ish
Cheers for any help
 tony 09 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Flapjack.
 climbwhenready 09 Jan 2014
Not really able to help on nutrition, but your post made me smile, because my wall sessions often go like this:

1. Warm up
2. Failing on routes despite trying to succeed
3. Tired, climbing at a grade or two lower than my limit
 alooker 09 Jan 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

Me too..
 jon 09 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

A good crap will make you lighter.
 gobbledigook 09 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

i always shove down a few bananas... and then a slice of cake or flapjack with my mid-session cup of tea
 climber34neil 09 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

I have found that a slice of toast with honey about an hour befor climbing works well and generally keeps me going for a good 2 1/2 hour session, I would also recommend keeping hydrated throughout the session maybe use ekectrolite drink
J1234 09 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Cheers, the Bread and Honey sounds good along with Hydrating
J1234 09 Jan 2014
In reply to gobbledigook:

A few bananas, seriously, what 4 or 5.
 ewar woowar 10 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Pie, chips and gravy.

Don't forget to wipe the gravy off your chin though.

It can play havoc with those "udging" moves!
 Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

I was just about to post exactly that, but with 6 pints to wash it down.

Serious answer: a snack/ it doesn't matter.
 petenebo 10 Jan 2014
In reply to gobbledigook:

Do you wear tights?
 Exile 10 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Big glass of orange juice about half hour before climbing for me.
 Flinticus 10 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

A banana or flapjack. No need to over think it.

Its what you eat afterwards! Coffee and whatever slice of cake looks best on display, maybe a toasted ciabatta sandwich (at the Glasgow Climbing Centre). Watch other climbers struggle up the wall, focusing on routes you know to be within your ability, thinking 'I'd fly up that'.
 ripper 10 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

triple espresso
 thedatastream 10 Jan 2014
In reply to ripper:
> triple espresso

I'd also go for an espresso before a long wall session. Helps focus the mind somewhat, especially after a long day at work.
Post edited at 09:35
 Kieran_John 10 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

For me it's:

For breakfast I have a bacon or sausage butty. Sometimes a combination
Mid morning I'll raid the biscuit drawer at work
A big chicken mayo baguette for lunch.
Some more biscuits and maybe a packet of crisps for afternoon.
Climbing.
A take away when home from the wall.

I always feel a bit sluggish when climbing. Any suggestions? Perhaps a banana before climbing.
 frqnt 12 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:
Avocado on a whole grain base would fit the bill. Not too heavy and about the right nutrients for a sustained workout.
 kwoods 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

> toasted ciabatta sandwich (at the Glasgow Climbing Centre).

Stellar cafe, that one!
 cha1n 12 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

I doubt that anything you eat just before climbing would contribute to your climbing performance. Perhaps consume some sugars/salts with water just before/during/after the session but most of your energy will come from the day before if my memory is correct.
Simos 12 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

+1 for coffee if you are tired, it generally helps you train harder in all sports (I wonder if it's banned from climbing comps like other sports)

Otherwise it doesn't matter that much - bananas, chocolates, flapjacks etc

I've never felt that nutrition was the limiting factor, especially for indoors climbing and bouldering.

Having said this, if i have forgotten to eat anything sometimes I can feel my blood sugar dropping low during the session so I just have a chocolate and it's all good again
 Cliff Hanger 13 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

My (nutritionist) wife recommends slow release energy foods such as banana and flapjack as already suggested on this thread and to back up the science I always climb like a lump of lard if I have a curry for lunch. It is then (apparently) very important to eat a good protein based meal afterwards to help repair muscle fibre. So a curry and a couple of pints at the pub on the way home seems to be the logical and indeed very enjoyable way to finish off a perfect evening.
J1234 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Cliff Hanger:

Sadly no beer and curries for me at the moment as I want to shift half a stone so it sounds to me like Coffee and a Banana pre wall session and after training Steamed fish with Veg and either Quinoa (protein) or Pasta/Rice

Still I have gone from 5+ to getting some 6b+`s first go so it`s worth it, maybe.
Thanks for the advice.
 ti_pin_man 13 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

I think others are right, eating well the day before is important, its a little too late just beforehand other than banana and flapkjack snack washed down with caffeinie of your choice.

The one thing I try to do is not to eat a big / heavy meal too close to the session, cos then I just feel tired/lardy and rarely get much from the session. If you feel tired mid session, like the effort has just up and gone, take on some short sugar and drink water, that should pick you up.
 Lukem6 13 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Peanut and banana smoothie a dash of honey

followed 15 minutes by espresso then 5 minutes and then get training
 Lukem6 13 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF: but saying that I have started planning the weeks food around training

Ciderslider 13 Jan 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

Me too - but you must include - eat cake midway through session - oh and end up tweaking something or other (usually because of no real warm up or down doh !)
 Ciderslider 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Kieran_John:

lol
 Ciderslider 13 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

I've been introduced to restretto - which is like espresso on steroids ! Get a couple of those down you and a banana - and stand well clear of the doors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...