UKC

Does your clothing match your grade?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gazlynn 10 Jan 2014

Following on from last years discussion

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=519676

Here are my findings for this winter

Jackets

Grade I Black

No change for black unfortunately.

Grade II Red

A 2 grade swing this year. A popular safe punters choice.

Grad III Yellow

Moving up from last year and has nothing to do with it being the colour of my new jacket.

Grade IV Blue

A big swing this year for blue. Popular with the Scottish mid grade warriors maybe coinciding with Rangers demise?

Grade V Orange

A slight drop for Orange this year as people looked at last years chart and tried to push the grade a little too much.

Grade VI- Green or baby blue

Only a select few can wear these colours this winter with pride.

Trousers / Pants

Grades I,II,III and IV Black or Grey

Sorry guys us punters have to have something to aspire to.

Grade V and above Any bright colour but it must NOT match the jacket

Also please note that if you have bright coloured gloves you can add on one tech grade.

Please feel free to agree or disagree

cheers

Gaz

In reply to Gazlynn:

I've been in black pants and a green jacket for 4 to 5 years and my grade has not changed much ~ VI/VII. I don't seem to fit into your scale. I better buy some new gear.

crayefish 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Being a mountain banana and climbing II/III last year and moving to higher III stuff this year I fit quite nicely in that.
 Carolyn 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Looks like I'd better wear my Paramo this winter, and not my hard shell, unless I want to scare myself pushing my grade

Bright green's been around a year or two now though, hasn't it. Is baby blue becoming the new green?
 The New NickB 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

According to your grade scale, I climb much harder than my jacket and a bit harder than my trousers. I will tell them to get their act together.
Nick Barnard 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Feck, I'm undergraded for my trousers. Best try and make it look easy and pretend I'm doing a warm up route!
OP Gazlynn 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

Seems You only have to change your pants.

Your Jacket fits fine

cheers

Gaz
 peebles boy 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Shitshitshitshit.....I've just bought a baby blue jacket....better do some pullups or something before I attempt my first grade VI, that's a fair jump for me!!!
 Mr. Lee 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

My boots and a helmet are the complementary colour to my jacket? One of my half ropes is the colour of my jacket whilst the other is the colour of my helmet and boots. Hoping all this finds me an extra grade this season.
 Billhook 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Wow, I get to climb a grade harder if I take my british Pink Datchien gloves to Scotland this winter. But like others my green jacket and blue jackets are better climbers than me then!!

lol
 David Bennett 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:
Err No! Currently using a blue top, red pants and yellow gloves! Looking forward to my next trip even more now though....... Must remember to wear underwear superman stylee.
Post edited at 21:16
In reply to Gazlynn:
My clothing enjoys more days climbing harder grades than I do. I just take the credit for what it does.

It never takes me with it though...

T.
And I never leave my car keys in my pockets. It's only right that it does *some* work.
Post edited at 21:25
In reply to Gazlynn:

I make up for it when skiing - two-tone green Haglofs jacket and a pair of Green and Yellow Salomon bibs!
 HeMa 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

No...

I'm over-performing when it comes to the jacket and spot on for the troos...
 nniff 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

I quite clearly have no business going where I do, dressed from neck to toe in ninja black (I put a few colourful bits around my head)!
 Only a hill 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Where do my tweeds fit into the scale?
 Choss 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Yes. Im a rubbish Climber and Look like a total Tramp.
 dutybooty 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Cutting steps up grade II
 Exile 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

I've just invested in some yellow over trousers and have a blue jacket. This, (probably rightly,) puts me in the 'grade IV but punching above his weight' catagory!
 Ramon Marin 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

According to your scale I climb Grade I, which is fairly accurate actually

I loved your observation about trousers and jacket MUST NOT match if you climb hard enough, I'm still laughing... so true... not for me though
 Anhibian 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Haha this is so true! My first season last year I climbed in a heavy black ski jacket and climbed mostly Grade I/IIs. I've now invested in a red waterproof and been on the II's, trying to break into IIIs. Problem is there aren't many yellow jackets out there, Maybe I'll buy a new blue Jacket and jump onto the Curtain this season!
 wilkie14c 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

I'm a mountain ninja in all black including my stockings and garter, grade II's shit themsleves when they see me rock up. I do have a green hand knitted willy warmer though but I'll not change it as my nana made it for me special
Tim Chappell 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:
Dog-eared off-white trackie-bums and a paint-spotted burgundy belay fleece, both bought in Save The Children, V,6 (s).

Does this make me a counter-example?

Or maybe just a tramp
Post edited at 18:16
Tim Chappell 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

How does your theory account for the fact that these guys all climb VIII?

http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=4215
In reply to Gazlynn: Ahaha I love it, definitely pink for me
OP Gazlynn 14 Jan 2014
In reply to All:

Some great attire out there some of us guys and gals seem to have our work cut out to hit the right grade this year.

Tim

Looking at that photo there is only one stand out.

The poor chap must of been cacking his pants on that day only used to trundling up grade Is

obviously after he reads this I'm sure he'll be onto the proper climbers for some hand-me-downs

(only joking Iain an excellent effort)

cheers

Gaz

Tom Knowles 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Check out this couple of Grade II bumblies....

http://davemacleod.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/at-last-some-mountaineering.html
 wilkie14c 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Knowles:

Green crampons with an orange helmet? what on earth was he thinking? I'd be facking embarrassed if I was doing custs gully with him
OP Gazlynn 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Knowles:

> Check out this couple of Grade II bumblies....

Aye exactly

Although not sure about the 2nd photo down

The 2nd pitch of the Runnel has changed a little since I last climbed it

cheers

Gaz
Tim Chappell 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

That Macleod. We need the Fashion Nazis on his case. And pronto.
Nick Barnard 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

We'll have a whip around and send baby blue jacket and a pair of green trousers over to patagonia pronto...

Does the grading apply internationally or just in Scotland?
OP Gazlynn 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick Barnard:

Hmmm.....

Personally I believe they are a little lax with the clothing grading system abroad and would let anybody wear brightly colour trousers and jackets where as thankfully us British adhere to the traditional grading system with much more honesty and integrity.

cheers

Gaz
 nufkin 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Does this apply equally to both sexes, or do winter women get their own list?
OP Gazlynn 16 Jan 2014
In reply to nufkin:

Women have their own grading system that sometimes shadows the mens

Jackets

Grade I Black

Still the beginners choice

Grade II Purple

A popular women specific colour for this season

Grade III Teal green

The mid grade favourite

Grade IV Yellow

One grade higher than the men's and rightly so.

Grade V+ Baby Blue

The real mans womans jacket

Trousers / pants

Grade I and II

Black or Grey

Grade III and higher

Any colour (Please note this is considerably lower than the Men and hopefully the blokes reading this take notice)

As with the men's grading system please add 1 tech grade for colourful gloves and 1 tech grade if your climbing helmet matches the colour of your trousers.

cheers

Gaz

andyinglis 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

My wife will be stoked that's now going to be rocking the V+'s in her baby blue jacket instead of the usual once a year grade II!

Andy
 rogerwebb 16 Jan 2014
In reply to andyinglis:

My jacket is holding me back, my salopettes are leading me on, and I am lost in a sea of indecision
 Wee Davie 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

A red Grade II jaiket for me, matched up with the black Simond/Decathlon softshell troosers (max Grade IV). Should mean my footwork is pretty good compared to the upper body power.
 Tricadam 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Wonderful contrast here between on-trend Pete MacPherson and Martin Moran breaking all the rules, particularly with the fatal red jacket-orange helmet combo. Ouch! http://www.moran-mountain.co.uk/blog/#sorrows

(Having said that, Martin's harness, boots and crampons now match the helmet colour. Pete's fashion police influence?)

Incidentally, the blog entry is a great read.
Removed User 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

What about pink????????
 Tricadam 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Very much depends on the gender of the wearer.
Green-Winged Orchid 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:
I've just been out for a run in my new Buffalo (predominantly black with blue shoulders) to get some confidence wearing it in filthy cold weather. I was as warm as toast. This replaces my red RAB and before that my bright yellow TNF. I concur with your hypothesis that I'm sliding down the grades.
 Hannes 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Oh dear, my jacket is very green, harness bright orange, rucksack rather orange and boots are now orange. My orange helmet was however lost to an unfortunate incident on Snowdon. Oh, and the gloves are bright green as well.
OP Gazlynn 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Hannes:

Looking at your profile that's bang on for this season then

I'm liking the colour co-ordination.

Another popular match this season is the scarpa phantom range with a pair of petzl ice axes the orange although subtle in the axes sets the tone beautifully

cheers

Gaz
 Mike-W-99 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Gaz, what about harness colour, there seems to be a garish Grivel one being used at the Ice climbing world cup.
OP Gazlynn 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Mike

I think you've answered your own question there these brightly coloured coloured harnesses are normally only worn by a select few that are capable of competing in the Ice climbing world cup.
Having said that I shall be looking out this season to see if it catches on with the general masses at strategic gearing up spots, The CIC hut and the mountain rescue box at Sneachda and maybe include harness colour in next years grading system

Ps talking about world cups I have a special harness for the football world cup being Welsh and living in Scotland I got an invisible one

cheers

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...