UKC

Head torch for running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Evening all.

Im after a decent head torch for running. My current Black Diamond only has a circumferential head band so i suppose one which goes over the top of my head too would be best.

Any recommendations?
 The Potato 12 Jan 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

alpkit gamma, awesome and cheap
it has a two mode rear red light for on the road too.
 Mountain Llama 12 Jan 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: petzl myo rxp

Bluebird 12 Jan 2014

search for CREE on EBay - lots of our guys use them - about £20 for 1600 lumens or something. I use Hope R4 1000 lumens for 10x the price.
 mbh 12 Jan 2014

Depends where you are running. For simple running in the dark on roads and wide trails that you know well, I find the simplest Petzls to be be fine, even in pitch dark. On fells I would probably want something better.
In reply to mbh:

> Depends where you are running. For simple running in the dark on roads and wide trails that you know well, I find the simplest Petzls to be be fine, even in pitch dark. On fells I would probably want something better.

For walking my BD is fine. I need something bright which does nt fall off when I run
 StefanB 12 Jan 2014

Petzl Nao is probably the best there is at the moment, but expensive. As has been said, depends on what you are planning to do with it.
In reply to StefanB:

Run on country roads but also for some pitch black paths.
Antigua 12 Jan 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Steff, sorry but could I ask what setting you would use for night trail running? got a Nao for christmas and was looking to take it out for its first proper run next week. Initial thoughts are its a bit temperamental changing beam for no apparent reason. Thanks

I think the Myo looks the right balance of weight, cost and function. Ill get me one of them.
 Dave Todd 13 Jan 2014

I've used various headtorches over the years for off-road running. Got on OK with the Myo XP but always found the beam a little too focused. Bought a Lenser H7R a few months ago - really great bit of kit - very adjustable beam intensity and spread. You have to construct your own top strap though! (I bought a replacement Petzl top strap from Hitch and Hike for a couple of quid - fits almost perfectly).

Also, I paid about £35 from Amazon a few months ago, so pretty cheep.
In reply to Dave Todd: thanks Dave. Already ordered one so too late.

StefanB 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Antigua:

> Steff, sorry but could I ask what setting you would use for night trail running?

It depends on what I am about to do. For a training run of up to 4 hours I use the trail running profile pre-configured in the configuration software. For all night races I programme it to last the number of hours of darkness depending of time of year. On some technical stuff I swtich it to full power temporarilly and then usually forget to turn it down again, ehich means I need to out batteries in at some stage
The only time the beam acts a bit tempamental is in the mist. I prefer a non-reactive lighting setting then.

deepsoup 13 Jan 2014
In reply to mbh:

> For simple running in the dark on roads and wide trails that you know well, I find the simplest Petzls to be be fine, even in pitch dark.

The Alpkit Gamma is more than adequate for that too, and the red led on the battery pack is a nice feature for on the road.
 Banned User 77 13 Jan 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

I dont think they are that good.. OK for easy trails/farm tracks but I think a MyoXP is far stronger and just a better torch as you'd expect from something so many more times expensive.
Clingon2013 13 Jan 2014

Try searching google for Petzl TacTikka XP Adapt Head Torch, It`s one of the best in my opinion as it has an extra strap that goes over your head in the center and a wide angle lense, which keeps it far more secure feeling. Its not the cheapest at about £40, but you can search for an online code from a site like this http://www.buzzcouponcodes.com
Good luck...
RockShock 14 Jan 2014
Have you considered something else than a 'mainstream' torch?

Petzl, BD etc are OK, but have a look at the smaller manufacturers models powered with 18650 batteries. ZebraLight H600Mk2 just arrived in my post box and it looks like one of my bet buys so far (judging by first looks, but read a lot before the decision was made and the durability and ease of use are great).

That comes with additional investment in decent charger and good set of 18650 cells, but the result is simply stunning - especially for the size of the small sucker...

Have a look at the http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ where the freaks hang out and you'll discover a whole new world of torches to explore... (direct link for headlamps: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?6-Headlamps )

Cheers
RS
Post edited at 15:14
SethChili 14 Jan 2014

Alpkit gamma all the way here . Cheap as a curry , waterproof ( though I wouldn't swim with it ) and has the nice top head strap to keep it in place . Bright enough for most conditions and has red leds on the back to make sure any drivers/cyclists/deranged zebras can see you from behind .
 simon cox 18 Jan 2014

I have bought various head torches, if you want something really good I think you need to pay for it - I ended up buying a Petzl Ultra - which is a little under £300 - but it was designed for night orienteering I think and if you are running off the road it is almost as good as running in daylight... though if you are out with other people and you are behind them it is so bright it makes them feel as though they are running in shadows! But you have three easy to change settings so you can turn it down as needed - I bought it with a big battery pack that goes in a bum bag - so on medium setting it lasts for around 9 hours... Enjoy, S
 Siward 19 Jan 2014

Have a look at the Fenix HP30. Looks tempting...
 Robert Durran 19 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> alpkit gamma, awesome and cheap

I recently bought one of these after hearing positive reports on here. I have been using Lifeventure headtorches (also cheap and cheerful). These have been very effective for a bit except that the first one melted (!), the second's battery container lid broke and the third started misbehaving (contacts?),so I wanted something more reliable. I was therefore disappointed tofind that the Gamma is identical to the Lifeventure ones except a different colour and with a different name on it! Presumably Alpkit just bought the rights to use the design. Is this how Alpkit generally operates to produce cheap stuff - buying up old designs?

The Potato 19 Jan 2014

ive had no problems from mine, ive not had any problems with any lifeventure products either
Thanks all. The Myo XP arrived earlier in rhe week and first impressions are great. Im going to try it in the dark next week and ill report back.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: alpha torch is a good model, I quite like the icon torch from black diamond, and I think you can get the with a rechargeable pack rather than batteries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...