UKC

Dog POO rant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Katie86 12 Jan 2014
I don't own a dog but I don't see how it is so difficult to pick up poo after your own dog when it does a massive turd on the pavement!

The irresponsibility of one dog owner who today left a massive turd on the pavement near my house means that school children will get it on their shoes, peoples prams will mash through it and anyone in a wheel chair will coat it over their wheels and then their pram! It's just plain selfish.

Anyone who uses the argument of..."What about horse poo?" Well, I would rather stick my head in horse poo than get dog poo on my hand. Horse poo mushes into the road and is no bigger issue than mud tbh (even on a bike).

Dog poo stinks and can spread giardia, roundworms, salmonella, and Ecoli. Horse poo doesn't carry these risks.
 Milesy 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

Because some people are arseholes... some are dog owners and some aren't.
 RockAngel 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

Find out whose dog it is, then kindly return it to them via their letter box.

There is one guy, who lets his dog crap all over the place and it's everywhere on the streets. It's disgusting. I need to catch him not picking it up so I can confirm it's this person before I return it via there letter box
 DaveHK 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

> Well, I would rather stick my head in horse poo than get dog poo on my hand.

I prefer the crottels of a hare myself but I'm somthing of a scat snob.

Does anyone else have a favourite jobbie?
 Nigel Thomson 12 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

>

> Does anyone else have a favourite jobbie?

Yeah, one I've managed to squeeze out at 4am before a long hard winter day. It's just one less thing to worry about when teetering on tiny pick placements.

bobbyf 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86: And why do some dog owners go to the trouble of bagging their dog's poo only to chuck the bag at the side of the path? Or hang it in a tree?? When I'm out running its amazing how many people you see making a big show of bending down to pick up dog muck when I'm running towards them however if I turn round to look once I'm passed they've left it and are scurrying away!
In reply to bobbyf:

> And why do some dog owners go to the trouble of bagging their dog's poo only to chuck the bag at the side of the path? Or hang it in a tree??

Turdbagging. It's called turdbagging.

A few years ago we'd take photos and have a contest as to who'd found the best examples.
 Tony the Blade 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

I share your pain... I hate shit.

I don't own a cat, but have to clear cat shit from my garden.
In reply to Katie86:

> Dog poo stinks and can spread giardia, roundworms, salmonella, and Ecoli. Horse poo doesn't carry these risks.

Erm, kids - don't eat the horse poo. It's not choc-full of goodness.

Most vets will cheerfully admit, though, that horse poo is the least offensive faeces that they've 'eaten' (usually not on purpose). Dog anal glands are the worst.

Martin (MRCVS)
Ste Brom 12 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Owl pellets. Fascinating.
 Panick 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

My brother once got proper shouted at by some short sighted people on a canal boat for not cleaning up after his dog...it had only done a wee.

Anyway

Is kicking it into the hedge out of the way acceptable?
 French Erick 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

I'd sooner tackle litter...it's doesn't go away. Poo does!

I'd also ask people who bag it only to leave in a plastic bag hanging somewhere to leave it on the ground.

But then, I'm French our towns and cities are reknown for dog shite.
OP Katie86 13 Jan 2014
In reply to French Erick:

And my experience of spending 90% of family holidays in France as a kid is that men piss in the street too and turds with paper flags are common in the hills. At least you don't let dogs on the beach!.
 balmybaldwin 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

There is nothing on this earth as toxic as a freshly squeezed bearded dragon poo. The little bugger is clearly aware of this as he only ever goes when hes not in his cage.
 balmybaldwin 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Panick:

Its preferable to hanging it in a tree certainly
Jim C 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:
Most , not all, of the owners around us pick up after their dog ok, but it is disgusting when you come across some that haven't.

However, we do have a neighbour that comes out his house with his large dog, crosses the road and then let's his dog pee at the gates on our side of the road, with big trails running across the pavement. And it does smell , particularly if it has not rained for a while.

If it was HIM peeing at my gate I could call the police, but for some reason, I can't do that for his dog in HIS control, doing a proxy pee at my front door.

(Worse still my wife is friendly with his wife so I have to grin and bear it )

Owners of cats though, are much worse, they let them run around, digging up our plants, shitting in the soil, and the come into my property and kill the birds that I like to photograph at our bird table.
( same rule of keeping quite applies, as they are friendly with my wife)
Post edited at 01:13
 Al Evans 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

The problem with cats is that they are very clean animals, it's only lazy owners not providing a litter tray then the cats have to dig, preferably in soft soils to cover their poo. If you have ever owned a cat with kittens you will see that by the time they are a week old Mum has trained them to poo in the litter tray, no need to do it yourself, mum trains 'em.
Our cats used to have litter trays and would come back through the cat flap for a poo, even when we lived in a house out in the country.
 Choss 13 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> I prefer the crottels of a hare myself but I'm somthing of a scat snob.

sheep and goat poo. How do they make Those uniform Little Round turd marbles?
In reply to Katie86:

Come on people, how selfish can you be!?

Of course is perfectly acceptable for dogs to shit all over the shop. What else will the army of unsung heros, the slugs, have to dine on?

Will someone please think of the slugs!!!
 Al Evans 13 Jan 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I have several memories of mild abuse to my children, things that I should have supported them more on or whatever, the worst thing I can remember is my hatred of slugs. This developed when I became a gardener, they decimated my cabbages, so I put down slug pellets.
One day a big juicy slug was obviously dying on the path from the pellets and I gleefully chopped it in half with my spade. At that very moment my son James appeared with a trowel, watching in horror as I bisected the slug and it's guts dribbled out onto the path. He looked shocked, I think he was about 6, "Daddy I was just going to save that poor creature by shoveling it back into the hedge"
I tried to explain the principle of euthanasia, saying it had no chance and a quick death was the best thing, he was unconvinced I could tell, he had tears in his eyes.
What this has left me with is a feeling of considering every action carefully before I take an irreversible step. James claims he doesn't remember it.
 Enty 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Panick:

>

> Anyway

> Is kicking it into the hedge out of the way acceptable?

No.

E
 The Potato 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

unfortunately having a rant about something isnt going to change anything. stupid lazy people will exist and continue to be born regardless
 pwo 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

At least they don't swim in their own shit!!!!
 Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Panick:

> Is kicking it into the hedge out of the way acceptable?

The dog or the pooh?

toad 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Enty:

On many sites it's the forestry Commissions (and others) preferred disposal method. It depends on the site, and the number of visitors, but "stick and flick" is a lot easier to manage than emptying bins or delaing with all the inevitable dumped plastic bags etc.
 the sheep 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> However, we do have a neighbour that comes out his house with his large dog, crosses the road and then let's his dog pee at the gates on our side of the road, with big trails running across the pavement. And it does smell , particularly if it has not rained for a while.

Electrify the gates, 240 volts up the dogs cock would soon put him off!

Seocan 13 Jan 2014
In reply to French Erick:

Thanks French Erick, my neighbours laddie lost the sight in one as a direct result of landing some dog dirt, does that go away as well.

The problem is catching them at it, I never see any of the weegie scrotes round where I live now, but they seem to be dumping everywhere.
The weegie doesn't notice dirt or litter though, so it's a losing battle.
Jim C 13 Jan 2014
In reply to the sheep:
> (In reply to Jim C)
>
> [...]
>
> Electrify the gates, 240 volts up the dogs cock would soon put him off!

Funnily enough we did discuss tha. My sister has all the gear I need on her farm (to keep the big horses in the field) , so I do have access to the wherewithall to do that.

But I was worried that dog the owner might also get a shock, and we get sued.
(Then again he is an Ambulance man, so he should get a quick response to any emergency call
 JMarkW 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

> Anyone who uses the argument of..."What about horse poo?" Well, I would rather stick my head in horse poo than get dog poo on my hand. Horse poo mushes into the road and is no bigger issue than mud tbh (even on a bike).

Unless you happen to hit some at 40mph on a bend on a motorbike.

Cheers
Mark

Jim C 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Seocan:
> (In reply to French Erick)
>
....The problem is catching them at it, I never see any of the weegie scrotes round where I live now, but they seem to be dumping everywhere.
> The weegie doesn't notice dirt or litter though, so it's a losing battle.

There was a group on the TV embarrasing all the bad owners, by going around spraying the dog doo bright Pink etc. they all glowed out in the grass, and by the time they had sparayed the entire field of poo , you could see just how much there was (you would never dream of letting you kids play after seeeing that)
Jim C 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Mark Westerman:
> (In reply to Katie86)
>
> [...]
>
> Unless you happen to hit some at 40mph on a bend on a motorbike.
>
> Cheers
> Mark

My sister has horses, and people come and buy it from her, horse poo will not lie around usually, some gardener will want it , and pick it up for the compost heap. (and it is vegatation based, not like dog dirt and cat litter.
 Phil1919 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

There are too many dogs about, fullstop.
 n-stacey 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

Was it the owner or the dog that left the turd?
Jim C 13 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:
> (In reply to Katie86)
>
> unfortunately having a rant about something isnt going to change anything. stupid lazy people will exist and continue to be born regardless

Yeah what a waste of time ranting about, dog dirt, and smoking in public places, Drink Driving, people throwing fag ends , chewing gum etc., nothing will ever get done about it.
(Except in many areas of the country something has been done, and people get fined, and the occurrances tumble in thos e areas where it is enforced)
Taking the Mick? 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

> At least you don't let dogs on the beach!.

What's wrong with dogs on the beach? I exercise my dogs on the beach. It's about the cleanest place when it's done nothing but rain for months. If I take them over the fields, they get muck up.
 suilven 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

The only way it is difficult to pick up a dog turd is if it is one of those really runny ones which contain no solid mass whatsoever and are thus rendered impossible to scoop. This is the nightmare for a dog owner - I'm always so grateful when the dozy mutt produces a nice solid turd I can get my hands around.

A warm turd in a bag also makes an excellent handwarmer on frosty mornings........

FWIW I find myself picking up other people's dog poo in case they think because I happen to have said dug it is mine......do I need help?!
 suilven 13 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

My favourite jobbie was one I was forced to leave in a snow cave beneath Observatory Ridge on the Ben. It really was a poo with a view.
llechwedd 13 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Otters..

There's a river at the bottom of my garden.
Do the otters 'do it' in there?
No, they crap all over the stepping stones to the neighbours'

The weird thing is that, when getting the bits off my shoe with a twig, I noticed that the bits of frog skeleton comprising said turd smell of hay, not decaying amphibian.

Maybe there's an R&D opportunity for 'Cesar with Crunchy Frog'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...