UKC

LED Lenser head torches - any users here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 forcan 13 Jan 2014
After a late-ending epic on Lochnagar on Sunday, I realised my 12 year old Petzl Tikka isn't the brightest of sparks any more... One of my party had an LED Lenser head torch that seemed to use a small sun as the light source, so it got me looking...

Specifically at the LED Lenser H7, but would be interested to hear from anyone elses experiences before I go buy...
 damowilk 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I've used the H7 mark 1 for a year or so, and like it a lot, easy to operate, bright, light and uses AAAs, not some stupid lithium rechargeable which is no use for prolonged trips! I've liked it so much I've just got the H7 mark 2, and mark 1 will cascade down to other half, officially, as she uses it for night running a lot anyway!
A brief look at the mark 2 suggest I may prefer the first though, although it's brighter, it's heavier, and seems a bit more of a Faff to operate.
In reply to forcan:

I have one, it is fantastic.
 mbh 13 Jan 2014
In reply to damowilk:

Is this a Mark One?

Coast-CREE-LED-LENSER-Outdoor-Head-lamp-H7-7497-AAA-Torch-FLASHLIGHT-HEADLIGHT-/111255753089

abot £16 on ebay.

I want something for night running too, on the coast path and in fells.

Does the strap hold OK for running, or do you need a head strap too?

I like the look of the H7R though, about £43 on Amazon. With a spare set of batteries it looks as though it would keep going for the whole of a summer night.
 Sankey 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan: Yep. Use it for running at night in a dark river valley, had no problems at all, got it following a recommendation on here. On the other headtorch thread people are talking about adding a second strap over the top of your head, but mine is fine without.

butteredfrog 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

Had/have two H7R's (the broken original and its replacement). Both let me down every time I needed them. Not fit for purpose in my opinion!

However many people seem to like them and I may just be unlucky.

OP forcan 13 Jan 2014
In reply to mbh:

re eBay item #111255753089, I think that's the latest one, the 170 lumens version (other reviews mention 150 and 160 lumens versions) I was also briefly tempted by the Alpkit Gamma... Headtorch technology has fair moved on since I last bought one!

Just saw a new H7 on eBay on auction, had a carpe diem moment and bid, won it for under £22 posted.
 oliverk 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I had an original H7, it lasted approximately three years before becoming unreliable because of some sort of loose connection inside. I was pretty happy with it for both running and winter climbing before that.

Got an H7.2 now, and I've been having issues with battery life using the rechargeable battery. Apart from that it's comfortable and seems to work well. Too early to say much more.
Removed User 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I have three of them. Two normal battery ones and a rechargeable one. Until I can be pursuaded by something better then they are the best headtorches I have ever had. The later ones have a 200L rating so make sure you go for that as a minimum. Also, search for the bargains, don't pay high street prices. Friend of mine got half a dozen of them off ebay for £6 each. Needless to say, when I looked they had all gone.
 Welsh Kate 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I've just sent back my 3.5 year old H7r because the wires, which had gradually been working loose, finally detached. Almost by return of post Led Lenser have sent me a new H7r.2. It is heavier (takes 4 x AAA instead of 3) and isn't as simple as the original, but has more functionality and a more powerful beam. Given that I use mine for MR, I'm more than happy with the upgrade, and with Led Lenser's brilliant customer service. But if I was just using it for walk offs, tbh I might just get an original H7 or H7r instead for convenience.
 Toerag 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I've had 3 H7Rs - original one got sent back as the tilt 'ratchet' wore out prematurely and it would flop down when running gently - they've tweaked the design and new ones don't do that. The wires went on the replacement, so that got sent back - the wire now has strain relief where it enters the battery pack.
So I'm now on my third which has been fine so far. So to sum up, they have been a bit flaky, but they've been replaced with no quibble and the design is improving. Some people don't like the variable power switch but I find it useful. I suspect the lamp head may not be as weathersealed as it could be, but haven't had any trouble so far.
 tony 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Toerag:

> I've had 3 H7Rs - original one got sent back as the tilt 'ratchet' wore out prematurely and it would flop down when running gently - they've tweaked the design and new ones don't do that.

I've got that problem - how quick were they with a replacement?
 Welsh Kate 13 Jan 2014
In reply to tony:

Tony, I sent mine in last Saturday and got the replacement delivered on Thursday. I did email them in advance, and then included that and their 'send it in for repair / replacement' invitation email as well.
 J Brown 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I have the HR7 - really happy with it.
 tony 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Wow - that's impressive! I'll get in touch with them.
Taking the Mick? 13 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

> Specifically at the LED Lenser H7, but would be interested to hear from anyone elses experiences before I go buy...

I have one. I think it's brilliant. Low profile and fantastic for fell running. I've occasionally had to duck the odd aircraft which came in to land but other than that I have no complaints.
OP forcan 16 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

Well, it has arrived - for the princely sum of £20 posted! Very impressed with the whole thing generally, although we'll see how the ratcheting mech for tipping the light up and down holds up.
 Dark-Cloud 16 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I wouldnt be 100% conviced that was a genuine LED Lenser at 50% of the price that they normally are, there is a lot of fakes out there but for £20 i suppose its worth a punt !
 BenJ85 16 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

I had the H7 and was really impressed. Paid £22 of the bay and was faultless until I left it in the car with the dog.

My other half bought me the SEO 7r as a replacement, which is as good but maybe a little less comfortable to wear. Rechargeable, yes, but it can also take AAA's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...