UKC

The Alps - Early or late in the year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveD 14 Jan 2014
Planning on doing some treking in the Alps but am limited this year to the end of June or beginning of September. I have been late July before but that isn't an option this year.

Anyone got any suggestions as to which might give the most settled weather?

Cheers

Steve D
 liz j 14 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveD:

September is a great time of year to go, the weather is often calm, conditions can be excellent and it's quieter.
 Simon4 14 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveD: What sort of routes are you after? Also, can you ski if there is heavy snow?

Late June can be excellent, with good settled weather, while crevasses are normally filled and easy to cross. On the other hand, if you are doing "foot Alpinism", there can be lots of deep, unconsolidated snow at that time of year which can involve paralysing wallowing. It very much depends on how snowy the Winter/Spring has been.

It is not normally too crowded at the end of June as it is still before peak season, but the check that the huts you want to use will be open.

Late June can be very good for Alpinism.

Happy Haggis 14 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveD:

If you are just trekking (rather than going onto the glaciers/high mountains), I reckon early September. This year in June there was still so much snow that people couldn't do the classic trekking routes (like the TMB) as the passes were so snowed up. The weather is generally ok for both, but of course you might be unlucky. If you are planning to use mountain huts or mechanical uplift then just check what you need will be open when you plan to go.
Chesher cat 14 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveD:

I've always found end of June pretty good and not had to battle with the crowds.
OP SteveD 14 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveD:

Thanks Guys, no firm plans just yet but fancy doing something over several days, possibly TMB or 'Classic' Haute Route but still to do some reading/research. I would expect to be doing some glacier work but nothing too technical.

The reason for asking was that the earlier I book flights the better so if I can get that sorted I can then decide on the detail later.

s
 Nigel Modern 14 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveD:

I've been there at both times you mention and had excellent weather and conditions whilst others on here have moaned about the weather throughout August. It's a lottery but you're probably in the same boat as everybody else going when you describe. June has the advantage of long days but beware both June and Sept suffer from lift closures (for maintenance)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...