UKC

Walk in wales this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuartR 15 Jan 2014

Looking to head to north Wales this weekend and trying to decide what walks we can do that won't require crampons and axes. Weather forecast looks ok but taking my girlfriend and need to keep her happy thinking Moel Siabod or maybe Cadir Idris
Post edited at 11:55
 wilkesley 15 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

According to MWIS the weather is continuing wet and windy until at least Friday. Freezing level is above summits, or around 1000m. So unless it's very cold and snowy early Saturday morning either should be OK. There may well be some wet snow, but you almost certainly won't need crampons.
 The Potato 15 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

walk anywhere just bring waterproofs and antidepressants
llechwedd 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:

'The inhabitants of Bethesda wear faces almost as long as their raincoats'
(From an old guidebook to the area- probably Carneddi)

tlm 15 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

> taking my girlfriend and need to keep her happy

You can't keep her happy. Only she can do that.

How about that exciting walk southwards from Bethgelert, along the river? There is even a bit of via ferrata on it, just above the raging torrent (hopefully not just below the raging torrent).

another walk that I love is over on Anglesey, parking at Newborough, then going over the meadows, through the woods, across the beach and onto the wild and windy peninsula, from where you can watch the clouds gathering on the hills... Hide a flask of hot chocolate with Cointreau in it and whip it out at an opportune moment...
 tlm 15 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

or a walk through the slate mines? That's always quite exciting and spectacular, and yet very easy relaxed walking, allowing for chatting and other nice, bonding stuff...

Do you tend to walk ahead of her, level with her, behind her or a variety of these? Do you tend to walk faster or slower than her?
In reply to tlm:

>and whip it out at an opportune moment......

Just the flask, fnar, fnar....

The Potato 15 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

if the weather is not good on the mainland then yes walking from Malltraeth through the woods to Llanddwyn island and up to Newborough / through the forest. Really nice and great views of snowdonia from the island
 The Potato 15 Jan 2014
In reply to llechwedd:
> (In reply to owena)
>
> 'The inhabitants of Bethesda wear faces almost as long as their raincoats'
> (From an old guidebook to the area- probably Carneddi)

We were always happy in Carneddi looking down on the village.... when it was visible
A great line is, does it always rain in Bethesda? No not always, sometimes it snows too
OP stuartR 15 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

Just fancy getting into the hills and putting my new jacket through its paces,

Some good suggestions but will probably head up moel siabod and if it is icy just avoid any of the scrambly bits
llechwedd 15 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

> Just fancy getting into the hills and putting my new jacket through its paces,

Just make sure you don't go into Cotswold's then, after Siabod.
There are probably some 'better' ones in there...
Shearwater 15 Jan 2014
In reply to owena:
> A great line is, does it always rain in Bethesda? No not always, sometimes it snows too

I've been wondering how long it took the Google Street View guys to get so many beautiful sunny days with blue skies to do their photography. The south end of Bethesda looks positively summery there.
 The Potato 15 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

moel siabod often has slightly better weather than the main mountain ranges as its off on its own. You can do a circular walk from Capel curig up to the summit then down to Dolwyddelan and back along the paths to the start.

Theres also a nice 12 miles providing its reasonable weather park at the capel curig end of lake Ogwen, head up the vague path (marker posts) to ffynnon lloer and up to the summit of Pen yr Ole Wen from which there are nice views, its steep but not a scramble really. Then along the tops to Carnedd Llywelyn summit shelter and descend (south east) to the broad ridge on over Pen yr Helgi Ddu. Theres a clear path down then to Ffynnon Llugwy and back to the road.
 ark05 15 Jan 2014
snowline was around 800M last Saturday. i went to about 750m and encountered no snow, but looking over at the glyders and snowdon there was a fair bit above 800ish meters.
 Street 16 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

I was out on the Carneddau on Sunday. There was quite a bit of snow about but I didn't need to use my crampons or axe.. It was a bit windy though!
luke3012 16 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

I was up tryfan and bristley last week no axes or crampons were needed but we did use a rope as it got a little icy and windy.

Id say you would be fine but there is no harm throwing them in the boot
OP stuartR 20 Jan 2014
Ended up walking up Moel Siabod via Daear Ddu Ridge then down the other side towards plas y brenin which was a nice day out. Lovely views on way up a bit cloudy and nice dusting of snow on top but was great just to be in the hills again.
reevo1390 27 Jan 2014
In reply to stuartR:

I backpacked over Carneddau that weekend and had a great time.

http://skyblueadventures.com/2014/01/23/winter-wild-camp-snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...