UKC

Gear Left on Ordinary Route - Idwal Slabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 THE.WALRUS 18 Jan 2014
I left a purple Zero G nut in the first belay on Ordinary Route the-Friday-before-last.

Has anyone found it? I wouldn't usually ask, but as Zero G have gone out of business I can't replace it.

Must be worth a pint, or something.
 paget 19 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
I feel that if Murph left this soldier on the battlefield he should be for ever in your debt! He shouldn't be allowed to sleep until he replaces this integral part of your rack! May his peers pour scorn upon him for his hideous offence!
Oh and can you tell him I owe him a bottle of rum for the tent. Ta
OP THE.WALRUS 19 Jan 2014
In reply to paget:

Damn straight. That's the kind of debt that can never be repaid.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Badly placing gear you didn't need to place and you really don't want to lose on an easy mountain Diff might neccesitate a bit more than the offer of a pint for recovery. Some people build racks following muppets and they don't normally act generously. I wish you luck whatever (my price would have been some form of ritualised OTT apology here).
OP THE.WALRUS 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
Thanks for your constructive comment.

The belay point in question was in the 'scoop' section of the crack where an equalised anchor is entirley necessary to make a safe belay.

My second was a beginner, not a muppet, who pulled on the nut when he should have pushed. The nut was well placed and more experienced climber would have been able to extract it without any difficulty. I would have abseiled back down to recover it but my second was climbing slowly and I didn't want to run out of light.

This particular Mountain Diff was harder than usual. We were wearing big boots, it started to rain, and the rock was greasy...so placing gear was necessary.

If you want more than a beer for returning a lost nut, you can keep it. I'm really not that bothered.
Post edited at 10:15
 paget 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
Here here off width! Your cutting comments without knowing any detail whatsoever made me smile!
I feel all beginners who venture out into the mountains come rain or shine showing great enthusiasm should have scorn poured upon them. The muppets!
Post edited at 10:41
 wilkie14c 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Zero G nuts are shit, no wonder it got stuck. Get yourself a set of WC rocks, there are loads on sale cheap on here at the moment for some reason...
In reply to wilkie14c:

Shit is the correst adjective.

Where can I pick-up a cheap set of WC's?
 wilkie14c 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Keep your eye on the for sale board here on UKC, 2 sets sold in the last week. WC are sending out the recall replacements but many have had to go and buy some anyway because of the delay, now they have 2 sets and sell the extra set on. Or shout up in the wanted section if you can't wait1 good luck, sure you'll get some though
 Howard J 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

How can a beginner be expected to learn how to remove gear if you don't punish them for their mistakes? Your second should have been made to feel thoroughly guilty at the loss of a treasured piece of gear, made to replace it (with something far better and more expensive) and required to buy you copious amounts of beer in penance. Pleading for its return is just letting them off the hook.
 wilkie14c 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to THE.WALRUS)
>
> guilty at the loss of a treasured piece of gear

A Moac is tresured, a Zero-G is a wart
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Thanks for your constructive comment.

> The belay point in question was in the 'scoop' section of the crack where an equalised anchor is entirley necessary to make a safe belay.

> My second was a beginner, not a muppet, who pulled on the nut when he should have pushed. The nut was well placed and more experienced climber would have been able to extract it without any difficulty. I would have abseiled back down to recover it but my second was climbing slowly and I didn't want to run out of light.

> This particular Mountain Diff was harder than usual. We were wearing big boots, it started to rain, and the rock was greasy...so placing gear was necessary.

> If you want more than a beer for returning a lost nut, you can keep it. I'm really not that bothered.

A climber who does not know when to push or pull, beginner or not, is definitely a muppet. The principle of the wedge has been know since Egyptians split rock for pyramids...............or he was instructed (or not...) by a bigger muppet. Indeed one who climbs in big boots, when it is about to rain and, surprise, surprise the rock became greasy......... and please how can a "diff" be harder than usual? Diff is diff is diff. Harder it becomes (believe it or not) a V diff. Muppet led by novice beginner. Your fault, it's now crag swag. Grow up or stick to your x-box.
 d_b 20 Jan 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

I have to take issue with one of your points. I believe that big boots are entirely appropriate for the ordinary route in the wet. Simply jamming a big block of vibram into the groove for the first couple of pitches is far more effective than climbing shoes.

Both are a bit excessive though, as I have first hand experience suggesting a mediocre like me climber get up it in trainers in the sleet.
Removed User 20 Jan 2014

> A climber who does not know when to push or pull, beginner or not, is definitely a muppet. The principle of the wedge has been know since Egyptians split rock for pyramids...............or he was instructed (or not...) by a bigger muppet. Indeed one who climbs in big boots, when it is about to rain and, surprise, surprise the rock became greasy......... and please how can a "diff" be harder than usual? Diff is diff is diff. Harder it becomes (believe it or not) a V diff. Muppet led by novice beginner. Your fault, it's now crag swag. Grow up or stick to your x-box.

I hope this is in jest.

Offwidth 20 Jan 2014
In reply to paget:

It's not the beginners fault IMHO.. its most likely the leader's fault or maybe just a bit of bad luck. If the beginner second is possibly not up to dismantling the belay without loss within the range of possible mistakes expected, the leader certainly should not place gear he doesn't want to risk losing. In practical terms this means choices: down climb on belay and get it, or ask a following party if they can be kind, or stick to single pitch, or offer a worthwhile reward. In this case the already high resistance amongst climbers to returning 'crag swag' will likely increase due to the muppetry demonstrated but I still hope he is lucky and gets his nut back.

I've been climbing decades and still sometimes do things which would constitute muppetry from time to time (the odd stuck runner that better placed would have been OK, dropped gear, etc)
 JimboWizbo 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

While we're at it we got a nut stuck on Original Route on the continuation wall, a blue BD stopper. I'd just like to know that it's been removed

Yawn. You really are a total dick, aren't you?
Removed User 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I hope you get your gear back mate. Despite some of the ridiculous shit some people spout on here you are at least getting out there and climbing, and more importantly introducing novices to the sport.

In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserTHE.WALRUS)
>
> I hope you get your gear back mate. Despite some of the ridiculous shit some people spout on here you are at least getting out there and climbing, and more importantly introducing novices to the sport.

Here here! You do get some muppets on here (ignore them if you can)
 wilkesley 20 Jan 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

The last time I did Ordinary Route was with my then 11yr old daughter. We followed a group from the RAF MRT up the route. They left several bits of gear behind because they had forgotten their nut key. We managed to get them all out, only one requiring the use of my nut key. They did offer to let us keep what we had retrieved, but being a gentleman I gave it all back to them.
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I have had the luxury of climbing since before the internet and climbing walls were around. We started out by reading books, borrowing gear, checking each other out, using 120 foot hawser laid ropes, crappy nuts, before cams, learning from watching others and by breeding ability from the application of common sense. The sheer amount of unadulterated tripe that manifests itself as forum discussion, decision taking competence, common sense and basic lack of understanding and ability on this forum regularly is beyond belief. Mr. Beynon and Offwidth have it about right (offwidth, I believe we have met?) Shiner, if you can't understand I am in far less than jest, then pack up and go home. Walrus, I do hope your mummy is close enough to wipe your bottom before, during and after bedtime and your second's mummy still opens door for him. Not knowing whether to pull or push must be a heart breaking disability.................. Sorry all, but it has to be said. You only posted this after almost a fortnight too - you cannot be that serious about the loss.
Removed User 20 Jan 2014
UncleSpam, you are truly a prize winning arse.
 Otis 20 Jan 2014

Speechless. What a prime idiot you come across as Sir.

Mr walrus-I hope your gear turns up and well done on what sounds like a jolly fun day in the hills.

Mike.
 Albert Tatlock 20 Jan 2014

He is only asking if anyone found a nut he left on a route.

Are you Major Misunderstanding out of Viz, calm down dear.
 browndog33 20 Jan 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: Prick.

Really? How did you get past the 'checking each other out' stage? You are quite clearly a slack-jawed bed wetter who would make pretty tedious company on a belay ledge...not to mention an arm-chair commando with limited climbing experience (and poor command of written English), judging by the content of your posts.

As for trying to curry favour with OffWidth...he's admitted getting the odd nut stuck over his climbing career, which makes him a disabled, nappy filling muppet in your book.

Perhaps next time you meet him, he could do us all a favour and kick you squarely in the balls. Which are presumably located underneath the large dick on your forehead!
Post edited at 20:27
 cranc 20 Jan 2014

> I have had the luxury of climbing since before the internet and climbing walls were around. We started out by reading books, borrowing gear, checking each other out, using 120 foot hawser laid ropes, crappy nuts, before cams, learning from watching others and by breeding ability from the application of common sense. The sheer amount of unadulterated tripe that manifests itself as forum discussion, decision taking competence, common sense and basic lack of understanding and ability on this forum regularly is beyond belief. Mr. Beynon and Offwidth have it about right (offwidth, I believe we have met?) Shiner, if you can't understand I am in far less than jest, then pack up and go home. Walrus, I do hope your mummy is close enough to wipe your bottom before, during and after bedtime and your second's mummy still opens door for him. Not knowing whether to pull or push must be a heart breaking disability.................. Sorry all, but it has to be said. You only posted this after almost a fortnight too - you cannot be that serious about the loss.

I wish there was a 'like' button!

PS

Does a Walrus wipe its bottom ?
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Oh keep up, dear boy. A Walrus get's it's mummy to wipe it for him (before, during and after bedtime).
 Jimbob11 20 Jan 2014

Prick +1
 Goucho 20 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Well I must admit that even by UKC standards, the amount of flack you've copped from a couple of folk on here, for asking if anyone has found a piece of missing gear is a bit OTT - even if it was left on Bumbly Hill - and that's coming from someone who's more than capable of being a sarcastic tw*t at times.

Run_Ross_Run 20 Jan 2014

. The sheer amount of unadulterated tripe that manifests itself as forum discussion, decision taking competence, common sense and basic lack of understanding and ability on this forum regularly is beyond belief.

No need to put urself down like that.
In reply to Goucho:

Sir

Bumbly Hill is another mans or Walrus's Everest.

Robert Durran 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> Well I must admit that even by UKC standards, the amount of flack you've copped from a couple of folk on here, for asking if anyone has found a piece of missing gear is a bit OTT - even if it was left on Bumbly Hill - and that's coming from someone who's more than capable of being a sarcastic tw*t at times.

Arguably true. But the fact remains that the nut is legitimate swag. I hope that anyone who now has the nut on their rack is getting extra special satisfaction from their ownership reading the whining nonsense on this thread.
 Goucho 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Sir

> Bumbly Hill is another mans or Walrus's Everest.

>

Via the South Col Route with fixed ropes all the way maybe
Tangler 20 Jan 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Arguably true. But the fact remains that the nut is legitimate swag. I hope that anyone who now has the nut on their rack is getting extra special satisfaction from their ownership reading the whining nonsense on this thread.

I quite agree. Auntisamunclebess has surpassed themselves in oldtimer whining.

I don't think anyone has suggested it wasn't legitimate crag-swag - but in the words of the OP :
"I wouldn't usually ask, but as Zero G have gone out of business I can't replace it.

Must be worth a pint, or something."
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Sir

Just to clear up any ambiguity, what do you infer by "something" ?
 Howard J 21 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> A Moac is tresured, a Zero-G is a wart

A novice won't know that, though. Pour on the guilt.

Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

> The last time I did Ordinary Route was with my then 11yr old daughter. We followed a group from the RAF MRT up the route. They left several bits of gear behind because they had forgotten their nut key. We managed to get them all out, only one requiring the use of my nut key. They did offer to let us keep what we had retrieved, but being a gentleman I gave it all back to them.

You did the decent thing. You could have kept their gear - but didn't. You could have come on here and slagged them off - but didn't.

As I recall, The Ordinary Route is particularly prone to being greasy when wet. People struggle. They get knackered. They leave gear behind. Big deal.

There's an E7 in the Mournes called, "We're All Learning..."

Mick
 Jamie B 21 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

> We followed a group from the RAF MRT up the route. They left several bits of gear behind because they had forgotten their nut key. We managed to get them all out, only one requiring the use of my nut key.

Confirmation - too many beginners see the nut-key as the default option for removing kit when wiggling and teasing is often more effective. I often see gear being bludgeoned further into cracks by unsubtle nut-key use!

Bottom-line, if you go climbing with beginners, expect to lose the odd bit of gear and don't place anything too valuable or too deeply!
 JoshOvki 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

> There's an E7 in the Mournes called, "We're All Learning..."

*offtopic* I very much read that as "We're All Lemmings..."

Offwidth 21 Jan 2014

My picture is in the Froggatt guide in loads of places (including the back of the guide, though you will struggle to find let alone recognise me there .

I followed a pair on Cinque Torre once when it started raining. I moved as fast as possible to try and catch them and give the increasing rack of gear I was collecting back, but failed. It was almost like they were gear fairies. At the opposite extreme a top-class wanker used to hang around at the Roaches and recover stuck gear and try and sell it back to those who lost it.

In reply to Wlalrus

To be fair to my true level of muppetry my nuts which stick usually leads to inconvenience and swearing rather than loss. I often don't place gear at all outside obvious simple and easy to dissemble belays when climbing with inexperienced seconds. If you post in the wanted pages I'm sure someone will sell you a second hand replacement.
OP THE.WALRUS 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm sure you're gear placement is first class. You really don't need to explain yourself to me...I wasn't implying that anyone who loses a nut, climbs an easy route or gets caught out in the rain is a nappy filling muppet. That was unclesamsauntibess.

What's all this about getting caught in the rain on Cinque Torre? More muppetry! Unclesamsauntibess will have a thing or two to say about that, no doubt!
 JuanTinco 21 Jan 2014

In some ways I agree with your statement,

"I have had the luxury of climbing since before the internet and climbing walls were around. We started out by reading books, borrowing gear, checking each other out, using 120 foot hawser laid ropes, crappy nuts, before cams, learning from watching others and by breeding ability from the application of common sense"

Not many people will disagree that the methods that you learnt to climb are great, and alongside other training/practice will develop excellent climbers.

The issue you mention about the forums seems to be best manifested in your post and those back to you, many posts seem to adopt the "I'm on an internet forum" ethos, the fact we can post what we like, say what we like to a person who's login name may not even represent them. Rather than the fact you sit in a pub, overhear someone say something stupid to their friend the other side of the room, chuckle to yourself and thank god you're not them..

On another note, fair play Walrus, best tangent a lost and found post has had in ages!
Post edited at 13:50
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

You would have come out of this thread better without the sniping.

Cinque Torre is short and easily accessed: you can go there on mixed days when showery rain is likely to spoil the longer routes.
 Mike Stretford 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> You would have come out of this thread better without the sniping.

Erm..... is this some sort of double or triple irony beyond my comprehension? He only asked if somebody had found his bloody nut!
 Robert Durran 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Papillon:

> He only asked if somebody had found his bloody nut!

Which is very bad form. It's no longer HIS bloody nut. It's swag.

Kid Spatula 21 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
Yeah, no one is coming out of this looking good. Certainly not the "Back in my day" brigade.
Post edited at 16:21
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

There were plenty of cock-ups back in the day. If you were unlucky, you died. Don't really want to go back to those mad old, bad old times.

Mick (who was lucky)
In reply to Mick Ward:

>The Ordinary Route is particularly prone to being greasy when wet.

I'm not sure about that. It's particularly prone to being wet when wet, that's for sure, but in those circumstances I wouldn't say it was any more greasy than the average mountain stream.

jcm
 Fraser 21 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Good luck in your endeavours.

But when all's said and done....it is now swag.
 Iain Peters 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Couldn't agree more. I forgot to retrieve my ice gear hanging in a tree below the terminal moraine of a glacier below Pico Roncagli in the Cordillera Darwin in 1980. Returned in 1981 but no sign of tree or gear. Somewhere down there are two Terrors and a pair of Grivel crampons, old school ice screws and a copy of Peyton Place (my expedition reading was very highbrow in those days) in a plastic bin liner.
 Jonny2vests 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> Cinque Torre is short and easily accessed: you can go there on mixed days when showery rain is likely to spoil the longer routes.

I was confused for a bit there, managed to swap Cinque for Cerro.
 Jonny2vests 21 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> I left a purple Zero G nut in the first belay on Ordinary Route the-Friday-before-last.

You do know Zero G nuts are (were?) shite yeah?
 Thirdi 21 Jan 2014

> A climber who does not know when to push or pull, beginner or not, is definitely a muppet. The principle of the wedge has been know since Egyptians split rock for pyramids...............or he was instructed (or not...) by a bigger muppet. Indeed one who climbs in big boots, when it is about to rain and, surprise, surprise the rock became greasy......... and please how can a "diff" be harder than usual? Diff is diff is diff. Harder it becomes (believe it or not) a V diff. Muppet led by novice beginner. Your fault, it's now crag swag. Grow up or stick to your x-box.

To quote your own logic, Muppet is muppet is muppet, therefore would a 'bigger muppet' be feasible?
Also you seem like a really easy going non opinionated kind of fellow, real salt of the earth friendly type... Not.
Don't tell me you're one of those know it all arrogant can't do anything wrong types, wow must be really good to be so infallible lets hope your good luck continues in your twilight years.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> >The Ordinary Route is particularly prone to being greasy when wet.

> I'm not sure about that. It's particularly prone to being wet when wet, that's for sure, but in those circumstances I wouldn't say it was any more greasy than the average mountain stream.

> jcm

The thing I always remember about the Idwal Slabs is just how ungreasy it is in the wet, because the routes are so popular that there's absolutely not lichen on them. The rhyolite, despite the wear, still has a huge amount of intrinsic friction. I can scarcely think of a piece of rock that is less affected by the wet. (Well, gabbro.)
 jon 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> I was confused for a bit there, managed to swap Cinque for Cerro.

Maybe Maestri did too?
 jon 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I can remember morning meetings in the staff room at the Brenin when venues and instructors were chosen for the different courses. It'd be raining like the floodgates were open and the chief instructor would say:

"Rock Intro, Idwall"

And John Cousins would slap his forehead and say:

"Aaaargh, salmon fishing on the slabs again..."
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Papillon:

Not reading his replies must be causing the comprehension issue. If an OP is upset with the tone of replies its best to stay polite rather than be guilty of the same thing.
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to jon:

> Maybe Maestri did too?

Ouch!

I still think, "Toni, Toni, Toni..." are a contender for the three most tragic words ever uttered in mountaineering.

Mick
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> ...but in those circumstances I wouldn't say it was any more greasy than the average mountain stream.

A stream of consciousness perchance?

'There is a day on the Ordinary Route on the Idwal Slabs when, magnificently, huge soft snowflakes fall vertically in an absolute stillness and one is unexpectedly swept with happiness.'

And then you get home, realise you've left your purple Zero G (whatever that is) behind, innocently pop a post on UKC and, 'one is unexpectedly swept with...' (clue: not happiness)

Mick

In reply to Offwidth:

I'm not particularly upset with the tone of the replies, and I'm certainly not all that bothered about the missing nut. It would be nice to get it back, that's all. I'm well aware that most people will see it as legitimate crag swag and I won't loose any sleep if I never see it again.

I just felt an urge to point out the bleeding' obvious...that unclesamsauntibess is quite clearly a total ball-bag, who complains about 'the sheer amount of unadulterated tripe that manifests itself as forum discussion' whilst spouting unadulterated tripe.

I can't see the benefit of being polite in such circumstances, and I don't see how I can be guilty of the same thing, as it wasn't me who started the whole thing by behaving like a halfwit.

I wasn't sniping at you, by the way. I was merely pointing out that as unclesamsauntibess took issue with me for getting caught out in the rain, he would no doubt take issue with you...along with anyone else who's found themselves in a similar situation.
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:
> ...and a copy of Peyton Place (my expedition reading was very highbrow in those days) in a plastic bin liner.

Another f*cking intellectual, eh? (As my old mentor was wont to utter vengefully.)

Reminds me of a celebrated photo of a fellow guidebook writer (to you, that is, not me). Said aesthete was clearly a connoisseur of fine food (Elsie's Caff Greasy Spoon Special) and even finer literature (The Sun).

Having said all that, I never finished Peyton Place (and perhaps you didn't either). I heard something dreadful happened. Any clues?

Once lent Andy Parkin my copy of Nostromo (never finished that either). Always the gentleman, he returned it. Apparently it was a new copy. On some Nordwand horror, he'd burned the original to provide some warmth to stay alive.

Clearly we were fellow climbers only in name.

Mick
Post edited at 20:59
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> ...along with anyone else who's found themselves in a similar situation.

Which, if we're being honest (just for a moment), is well-nigh 100% of us.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:
My point exactly.

Funnily enough, I found myself in the Cordillera Darwin a couple of years ago with nothing more to read than the 1991 Viz Annual and the instructions for my Jet Boil. I feel like I've let down my more illustrious predecessors.
Post edited at 21:00
 Mick Ward 21 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

My guess is that Andy would have swapped Nostromo for the 1991 Viz Annual and the Jet Boil instructions in a heartbeat.

Mick
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> I'm not particularly upset with the tone of the replies, and I'm certainly not all that bothered about the missing nut. It would be nice to get it back, that's all. I'm well aware that most people will see it as legitimate crag swag and I won't loose any sleep if I never see it again.
>
> I wasn't sniping at you, by the way. I was merely pointing out that as unclesamsauntibess took issue with me for getting caught out in the rain, he would no doubt take issue with you...along with anyone else who's found themselves in a similar situation.

There seems to be a lot of 'missing the point' going on in this string: Situation normal then.
 Offwidth 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
"You are quite clearly a slack-jawed bed wetter who would make pretty tedious company on a belay ledge...not to mention an arm-chair commando with limited climbing experience (and poor command of written English), judging by the content of your posts."

And then:

"unclesamsauntibess is quite clearly a total ball-bag, who complains about 'the sheer amount of unadulterated tripe that manifests itself as forum discussion' whilst spouting unadulterated tripe.
.... and I don't see how I can be guilty of the same thing."

So why don't you ask a third party as I can't see anyone independant thinking your replies are not at least as bad, if not worse and are certainly in breach of site guidelines: Rule "2.Rude, abusive or politically offensive language - Messages which contain excessive and pointless swearing, or insults aimed at other people, or politically offensive language will be removed."
Post edited at 14:31
 FreshSlate 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
You lost face for asking for crag swag back. I've lost gear due to a inexperienced-ish 2nd. We put a fiver each towards a new one. I know they don't make them but they're not a 'classic' like aliens, moacs, offsets (before dmm) and rps (before dmm). Let them gradually die out. You are going to lose/get stuck/drop another one eventually so either replace the set piecemeal or buy another set outright and have doubles for when you need them.

You've got a fair bit of stick here, most don't get quite this much but you have to expect a bemused reaction for wanting your gear back unless there was an accident/rescue. A lot of people get up nice and early the next day to fetch their gear in the scenario you describe. Or spend 20 minutes trying to retrieve a stuck nut on abseil at the crag. You cannot expect to leave gear in the crag for someone else to clean and then pay them a couple of quid for it to conveniently get posted through your door. I realise you offered a pint but for a lot of people you are fair game for a ribbing. If you wanted the nut you would have taken it on the chin and been a little more humble and less aggressive in your replies.
Post edited at 16:01
 scott titt 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

> I still think, "Toni, Toni, Toni..." are a contender for the three most tragic words ever uttered in mountaineering.

"Sorry, Harsh old son, you've had it" sticks in my memory.

saga 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I have a similar story; in 1994 my mate spud shat his jeans and hid them under a rock while we were climbing on the Cobbler. When we went back last year they were no longer there. He was most upset as they were the only Levis he had ever owned.
OP THE.WALRUS 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
As far a rude/ abusive/ offensive language goes, 'slack jawed bed wetter' and 'total ball bag' are pretty mild by any standards. In fact, other posters on this thread have used far more offensive language...including (horror of horrors's), the occasional f-bomb.

If you want to pick me up for breach of site rule 2, perhaps you should be slightly more even handed. I await the feedback from the site moderator with baited breath.

It's debatable which is worse, calling someone a bed wetter or accusing them of having a disability because he wasn't able to remove a nut, it really doesn't matter...my point was thatunclesamsauntibess started it all, not me. And if you're going to post something as ridiculous as:

"Walrus, I do hope your mummy is close enough to wipe your bottom before, during and after bedtime and your second's mummy still opens door for him. Not knowing whether to pull or push must be a heart breaking disability."

...you can be expected to be called a ball bag. Because you are.
Post edited at 18:29
 EarlyBird 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Nostromo on the Nordwand ... has a ring to it.
 JH74 22 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

+1 to all that. Well put.
In reply to FreshSlate:
Does asking for the return of lost property really amount to losing face? There's an entire 'lost and found' forum on this site, dedicated to precisely this kind of thing.

I wasn't expecting 'to leave gear in the crag for someone else to clean and then pay them a couple of quid for it to conveniently get posted through your door'...I merely thought that if someone was passing that way they might be able to retrieve the nut and let me know about it. That's all.

Yes, yes, I know it's crag swag. Yes, I know that plenty of people out there (including me) consider crag swag to be fair game. I just thought that, on this occasion, someone might find it in their heart to return it because it can't be replaced, and, as a pretty crud piece of kit, it's hardly a prized find. Who knows, I might yet be right?

And yes, I realised that this might open me up for ribbing, presumably from a bored section of the UKC community who haven't got anything better to do. But if you rib, you can't really complain if you get ribbed back.

Indeed, if I didn't give some kind of retort to the tripe that was posted by thatunclesamsauntibess I'd be in danger of losing face...which is something that appears to be an issue to you.

I don't suppose that was humble enough for you - would you like me to wear a flat cap?
Post edited at 19:17
Turkdav 22 Jan 2014

I`m with you on this one, some people a so far up themselves its unreal.

Could some of these anal idiots also be the same qualified leaders who take groups, hang ropes and allow people to abseil down classic if low grade routes.

Or are they just another section of idiots, this can be a sport for all with a bit of give and take and respect for each other and the crag.
 Thirdi 22 Jan 2014
In reply to WALRUS, in reply to Off-width:

And if you're going to post something as ridiculous as:

> "Walrus, I do hope your mummy is close enough to wipe your bottom before, during and after bedtime and your second's mummy still opens door for him. Not knowing whether to pull or push must be a heart breaking disability."

> ...you can be expected to be called a ball bag. Because you are.

Absof**kinglutely !! Please tell over me for breaching the rules too
Post edited at 19:34
 Thirdi 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> I left a purple Zero G nut in the first belay on Ordinary Route the-Friday-before-last.

> Has anyone found it? I wouldn't usually ask, but as Zero G have gone out of business I can't replace it.

> Must be worth a pint, or something.

With hindsight do you wish you'd said:

Honourable members of UKC please accept my most humblest apologies for what I am about to have the audacity to ask.

I must be a truly despicable human being but in my efforts to help someone enjoy a day out climbing, even though they were so very unworthy as a mere pitiful beginner, by some inexcusable reckless; some may even say heinous act he (the evil beginner) somehow managed to cause an event that I am almost ashamed and traumatised to be witness too. He pushed my purple Zero G nut in the first belay on Ordinary Route!!!

How can I write such a thing for others to read, please accept my second apology.

However, although I fully understand that this incredibly inferior and pathetic useless piece of equipment (is it even worthy of the name?) now belongs very firmly in the realms of the 'never to be asked for, 100% non-returnable, unmentionable unless whispered 'crag swag' I deign to ask something that I know deserves the harshest of punishments. However, I feel as though I must, please could I ask if someone just happens without any efforts just by some complete fluke to find my purple nut, that they could alert me to this and I will be extremely grateful and will arrange for its safe return? (I know I ask a lot) I will repay said person with the appropriate reward for this truly generous and magnanimous gesture.

Yours THE WALRUS
In reply to shirleynot:
No wonder you reside at HMP Styal. It's the best place for a ghastly and unashamed RULE BREAKER like you.

I could barely bring myself to read your offensive scrawl...but from what I've seen you have DELIBERATELY, WANTONLY and REPEATEDLY broken rules 2, 9 and 11.

Honestly, what is the world coming to? It was much better in my day. You know, back when 'we started out by borrowing gear, checking each other out, using 120 foot hawser laid ropes, crappy nuts, before cams etc etc blah blah tripe blah.
Post edited at 20:24
 Thirdi 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I'm only on remand and yes I am as you say a self confessed rule breaker, they can never gather enough evidence to keep me in for long...

I laugh in the face of rules 2,9 and 11! Bring on my punishment I say I will be quaking in my ridiculously inappropriate big climbing boots on the never any harder than a 'diff' non greasy ordinary route. Ha ha
In reply to shirleynot:
Outrageous. You really need to pack that in before someone calls the moderator.

Anyway, you should stay well away from those Ogwyn diffs. For a start, you're nowhere near humble enough to be out there actually climbing.

What's more, you might get one of your nuts stuck (which would make you a muppet). Or it might rain (which would also make you a muppet). Or 'place a piece of gear that you don't need to place' (...muppet).

Then you'd have to apologise to all the real climbers who know everything. You know, the one's who's pictures appear in climbing guide books and 'have had the luxury of climbing since before the internet and climbing walls'...they'd probably tell you to grow up, or complain about all the rubbish on the UKC forums (while going-on about Egyptian pyramid builders).

Then they'd get all upset when you told them to f@*k off...and admonish you for breaking Rule 2!

So, as I was saying. Stay well away from those diffs. You'd be far better off following thatunclesamsauntibess' advice and staying at home with your Xbox.

He should know. He's a real climber, who knows everything.
Post edited at 22:25
 paget 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Walrus dear boy,
I feel you have been persecuted enough. It would appear inbredsambumshisauntie is most likely a very entertaining troll. New profile, been climbing 112 years, blah de blah and others have been dragged into it. Even egyptian masonry specialists!
I have just purchased your nut by way of barter off shirleynot for a pack of dry roasted peanuts, my signed photo of offwidth wearing nothing but a cheesy grin and a full set of alien cams! Bargain! I will post it back to you!
Shalom.
 Thirdi 22 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Outrageous. You really need to pack that in before someone calls the moderator.

Good hope so

> What's more, you might get one of your nuts stuck (which would make you a muppet). Or it might rain (which would also make you a muppet). Or 'place a piece of gear that you don't need to place' (...muppet).

Less of the Generic terminology, it's Miss Piggy to you!

> Then you'd have to apologise to all the real climbers who know everything. You know, the one's who's pictures appear in climbing guide books and 'have had the luxury of climbing since before the internet and climbing walls'...they'd probably tell you to grow up, or complain about all the rubbish on the UKC forums (while going-on about Egyptian pyramid builders).

Perhaps he remembers them being built.. Or perhaps he was with those Russians who secretly climbed The Great Pyramid of Giza and that was the pinnacle of his climbing achievements? Wonder if they'd be considered 'diff', or (believe it or not) 'V diff'?

> Then they'd get all upset when you told them to f@*k off...and admonish you for breaking Rule 2!

Try P**soff next time - you know to appease the oh so easily offended yet willingly offensive kind of hypocrites that frequent this platform!
In reply to shirleynot:
> (In reply to THE.WALRUS)
>
> Try P**soff next time - you know to appease the oh so easily offended yet willingly offensive kind of hypocrites that frequent this platform!

Wonderfully put.
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014

Really? I find it all depressing. Its on the news again this morning about why people feel that they can make personal attacks on the internet that they would never consider doing in public. Its not swearing that bothers me or winding people up its the sheer meaness and nastines in some posts that is worrying from disagreements about relative trivia.
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> Really? I find it all depressing. Its on the news again this morning about why people feel that they can make personal attacks on the internet that they would never consider doing in public. Its not swearing that bothers me or winding people up its the sheer meaness and nastines in some posts that is worrying from disagreements about relative trivia.

I find half the posts on these forums are rather depressing. And yet they aren't as bad as many others.

Let's not forget the first rather mean comment made was:

"Badly placing gear you didn't need to place and you really don't want to lose on an easy mountain Diff might neccesitate a bit more than the offer of a pint for recovery. Some people build racks following muppets and they don't normally act generously. I wish you luck whatever (my price would have been some form of ritualised OTT apology here)."

The volume just got turned up after that.
 Thirdi 23 Jan 2014

> Let's not forget the first rather mean comment made was:

> "Badly placing gear you didn't need to place and you really don't want to lose on an easy mountain Diff might neccesitate a bit more than the offer of a pint for recovery. Some people build racks following muppets and they don't normally act generously. I wish you luck whatever (my price would have been some form of ritualised OTT apology here)."

> The volume just got turned up after that.

Thank heavens for people who understand irony and can highlight it to those who don't even realise how silly they make themselves look
OP THE.WALRUS 23 Jan 2014
Absolutely true.

Funnily enough, Its the very same person who made the first mean comment, started the name-calling and expressed his approval for unclesamsauntibess trolling who is now complaining about 'personal attacks on the internet that they would never consider doing in public' and 'the sheer meaness and nastines in some posts'. How ironic.

Offwidth, if you find the faceless personal attacks on these forums depressing, I suggest you stop making them.

Had you climbed up Ordinary Route behind me and located the missing nut I very much doubt you would have called me a muppet to my face (from what you've said, you would have swiped it and carried on climbing).

So why call me a Muppet from the safety your arm chair?
Post edited at 10:22
 Robert Durran 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Had you climbed up Ordinary Route behind me and located the missing nut I very much doubt you would have called me a muppet to my face (from what you've said, you would have swiped it and carried on climbing).

Actually, I suspect that the vast majority of those who understand the swag tradition/rules (myself included) would have chosen to offer it back to you. Your mistake and where you lost face was to actually ask for it back - that is not acceptable.

The one thing you got right was not to start this thread in the "Lost and Found" forum. The nut was not lost. It was abandoned. That is a crucial distinction; abandoned gear, except in exceptional circumstances such as a rescue, is swag. Lost gear is not.

Depessingly, the "Lost and Found" forum is full of posts asking for abandoned rather than lost gear back.

> So why call me a Muppet from the safety your arm chair?

Because you have behaved like one? For all he knows you might also be some sort of psycho who would beat the shit out of him if called a muppet (however justifiably) from a less safe location.
 Mike Stretford 23 Jan 2014
> Because you have behaved like one? For all he knows you might also be some sort of psycho who would beat the shit out of him if called a muppet (however justifiably) from a less safe location.

I think a lot of people on here would agree that there isn't any muppetry to comment on here ( you are known for you extreme views on crag swag).

I am interested in what people would/wouldn't say to each other on here as opposed to face to face. I don't think it's a case of implied violence, rather it would stop what would otherwise be a friendly conversation eg. I'd tell someone I didn't know too well 'p*ss off' if they called me a 'muppet' with no justification.
Post edited at 11:29

Like most of the nonsense on this thread, your argument doesn't really stack up.

Without advertising the fact that I had lost (or abandoned) the nut, no one would have known who owned it, so 'the vast majority of those who understand the swag tradition/rules would have chosen to offer it back to you' wouldn't have known who had left it there in the first place.

As for the exceptional 'circumstances caveat'...you seem to be suggesting that if I'd faffed about retrieving the nut as the daylight faded and the weather got worse and ended up needing to be rescued, I'd somehow be worthy of having it returned!

I assume this is some kind of antiquated old-skhool claptrap that no one really takes much notice of anymore.

As for your pro-trolling, pro-name-calling stance...it's not really worth a retort. But if you're not prepared to have the courage of your convictions and tell someone to his face what you are happy to write from afar on the internet then you really are a muppet.
 andrewmc 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Part of this thread amuses me greatly, and part makes me sad...

But to be boring and legal, taking nuts that people have been unable to retrieve (rather than unwilling) is surely theft in the legal sense (if they refuse to return the item)? Especially if they have subsequently made an appeal to have it returned, I doubt a judge would consider it genuinely abandoned.

I do also appreciate (as did the OP) the unofficial rules of crag swag :P
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> Without advertising the fact that I had lost (or abandoned) the nut, no one would have known who owned it, so 'the vast majority of those who understand the swag tradition/rules would have chosen to offer it back to you' wouldn't have known who had left it there in the first place.

I was referring to the situation described of having hypothetically been following you up the route.

> As for the exceptional 'circumstances caveat'...you seem to be suggesting that if I'd faffed about retrieving the nut as the daylight faded and the weather got worse and ended up needing to be rescued, I'd somehow be worthy of having it returned!

Arguably.

> As for your pro-trolling, pro-name-calling stance...it's not really worth a retort. But if you're not prepared to have the courage of your convictions and tell someone to his face what you are happy to write from afar on the internet then you really are a muppet.

I wouldn't call someone names ("muppet" is hardly extreme name calling anyway) unless it was justified. And i wouldn't do so to their face unless I was sure they wouldn't beat the shit out of me; that is just common sense.
Post edited at 12:41
In reply to Papillon:

> I think a lot of people on here would agree that there isn't any muppetry to comment on here. ( you are known for you extreme views on crag swag).

My views are not extreme; they are normal and in the long established tradition of crag swag. It is a great shame that this tradition is being undermined by those ignorant of it.

In reply to andrewmcleod:

Actually, the though had occurred to me, but I didn't want to open the proverbial box of frogs by suggesting that the law of the land might trump the unwritten ethics of old-skool swag hunting.

It really would be trivial to apply criminal law to an unloved and battered old Zero G left behind on Idwal Slabs, and I don't think that the Ogwyn Valley beat copper would thank you for filing a crime report if it went missing...but logically you'd have to apply the same rule to swiping an abandoned nut (with an identifiable owner) to swiping anything else.

I wonder what OffDuty would have to say about this? I imagine he's too busy shooting innocent armed gangsters who parading around at the Masonic AGM with his underpants on his head to pass comment...
 andrewmc 23 Jan 2014

Plenty of traditions are bad. Personally I would rather live in a world where everyone is nice to each other and would always try to return other people's property should they find it, with due consideration to their misfortune in losing it... :P
 Wicamoi 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

The most appropriate legislation for use in a prosecution regarding this incident might be the law on littering. I think you could be fined up to £2000.

Sweet Jesus! I though some of the other arguments on this post were weak!

If you really, honestly think that it would be arguably better to call out the Ogwyn Valley MRT than leave a stuck nut behind and finish the route before the weather craps out and the light fades, there's absolutely no point taking this argument any further.
Post edited at 12:56
In reply to Wicamoi:

Better.

Presumably fixed tat et al would fall into the same category, and involve the same fine?
 GridNorth 23 Jan 2014

Forums like this seem to have created a new morality. Once upon a time it would have been almost impossible to find the owner which is why finding gear on a route was treated as legitimate "crag swag"

Personally I would just accept the loss but remind the second of his failure on every possible occassion for the rest of his life.
In reply to GridNorth:

Noted. I strongly agree with both of your comments!
 malky_c 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:
So now there are internet forums and it is easier to ask if anyone has picked up your gear. Maybe someone has taken it as 'swag' and to be honest the OP doesn't seem that bothered about it. But I don't see why it is considered such poor form to ask, even if nothing ever comes of it.

Still, it has lead to an amusing thread where certain old-skool climbers have shown themselves up to be extremely un-self aware and a bit daft really!
Post edited at 13:15
 Wicamoi 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Don't tell me you've been leaving fixed tat too!? The law takes a very dim view of serial offending you know.
In reply to malky_c:

Another comment I strongly agree with!
In reply to Wicamoi:

Guilty as charged! I'll sign-up for voluntary community service...repairing footpaths in Llanberis, or something.

Actually, I was thinking of starting a thread asking for the return of some prussic I left on Lliwed. Would this be poor form?

Mike Stretford 23 Jan 2014

> My views are not extreme; they are normal and in the long established tradition of crag swag. It is a great shame that this tradition is being undermined by those ignorant of it.

Mmmmmm.... I've been involved in a very similar situation. I retrieved a nut an inexperienced second couldn't. Later in the day the leader came over and asked for his nut back..... I happily obliged, I couldn't imagine anyone refusing and making snide remarks.
 GridNorth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Back in the very early 70's my partner and I followed Pat Littlejohn up Slanting Slab on Cloggy. Pat's second could not recover the aid nut on the overhang but my mate did. Pat if you are reading this, I'm afraid I can't find it now.
Removed User 23 Jan 2014

> actually ask for it back - that is not acceptable.

Not acceptable? According to who? In over twenty years of climbing I don't remember ever being given a set of rules that had to be followed. Do everyone a favour and stop making shit up.

spidermonkey09 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Can someone please put this thread down humanely.
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to malky_c:

Yet only one person really attacked the asking. Every other critic was looking at the manner of the asking (some in fun) or objecting to the personal 'eye for an eye' attacks. If anything is overstated in this thread its the flak.

If I could make enough people act better to each other by appearing daft I'd devote my life to daftness. As it is I'm perfectly aware of being daft at times and I expect I appear daft to others even more often. My self awareness in this respect is not dissimilar to the way I admitted to occasional muppetry above.

I do however object to my original post as being 'mean' when its intent was part neutral and part the opposite. I certainly see returning gear where possible as good, as long as in this exchange covering costs is realistic (how much does it actually cost to post a nut?). Crag swag isn't strictly speaking theft either: it's recovery of abandoned gear with an assumption this is what most climbers expect; legally you should probably take it to the local police station then re-collect it after no one has claimed it but what benefit would that be to the overall climbing community or waste to police time? I think offering to fully cover costs in advance for small items like nuts that hold some particular personnal attachment is only reasonable.
 Choss 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Meanwhile... have you got your nut returned Walrus?
In reply to Choss:

No, damn it! Not so much as a knock on the door!

I was quite hopeful that I'd open the door this morning to find OffWidth asleep on the doorstep, having personally retrieved it from Ordinary Route and taken a private jet up to Manchester in order to return it to it's rightful owner, reunite it's other battered Zero G friends and deliver a £2000 fine for littering....in return for a frothing pint of real ale.

Sadly, the only thing that greeted me when I stepped out into the world this morning was a fresh dog turd and a traffic jam. Honestly, where is the humanity?
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I prefer my real ale without the sparkler.
 malky_c 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Crikey. You don't ask, you don't get. You do ask, you probably won't get either, but might be worth a try. Hardly worth an essay is it?
 Ian Parsons 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Was the dog duly reunited with his lost property, or had he abandonned it? I presume there's a website for such matters. (Sorry; gets coat, etc...!)
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to malky_c:

This is a talking shop, people talk here.

The way it was asked sparked my original reply: a 'special' lost nut on a belay that is easy grade climbing from the base to reach (that it turns out the tusked one claims subsequently he doesn't even care that much about). Since then things expnded and I've had lots more things to talk about that interest me.
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> If you really, honestly think that it would be arguably better to call out the Ogwyn Valley MRT than leave a stuck nut behind and finish the route before the weather craps out and the light fades, there's absolutely no point taking this argument any further.

No I don't think that and I didn't say that. Try reading my post again.

In reply to GridNorth:

> Forums like this seem to have created a new morality.

Regtettably it does seem to be going that way, though it should obviously be resisted. A win some/lose some swag tradition is much prefereable to endless internet posting and the hassle and expense of mailing nuts around the country and buying pints in return.
In reply to Removed User:

> Not acceptable? According to who? In over twenty years of climbing I don't remember ever being given a set of rules that had to be followed.

There are no rules in climbing, but many things by concensus considered unacceptable and for which one should expect censure or ridicule.
In reply to Papillon:
> Mmmmmm.... I've been involved in a very similar situation. I retrieved a nut an inexperienced second couldn't. Later in the day the leader came over and asked for his nut back..... I happily obliged, I couldn't imagine anyone refusing and making snide remarks.

No, I don't think anyone would refuse (myself included). And I think virtually everyone (myself included) would offer a nut back if the person who abandoned was still at the crag even if they didn't ask for it. But it is still bad form to actually expect and ask for it back.
Post edited at 15:32
 GridNorth 23 Jan 2014

Don't know about resisting, I think some of us older climbers just need to learn to accept or ignore. It's the same with these posts about a loose block on route such and such. When I first see them I think Oh God!!! but that's modern communication for you. Indeed we are encouraging it's use by participating in the threads but there is a little bit of me that longs for the good old days. But I'm not giving up my modern protection for anyone.
 Wicamoi 23 Jan 2014
In reply to malky_c:

While I regret the tone of some of the comments on here, I think that the noble ethic of crag swag really actually IS worth an essay: it's a pleasing example of groups of humans being perspicacious, fair-minded, communitarian and self-confident enough to know when the law of the land doesn't provide the best system for their needs and that a better ethic can be - and has been - applied. No fuss, no paper work, no arguments. It is a pity that lost and found forums may destroy this brief beacon of hope, and return us to a more individualistic, authoritarian, complicated and mundane state.

It is best not to think of gear as your own, but to regard it as the property of all climbers. You hold it in trust for a while, and because you are responsible for keeping it from littering the crags you take it home with you, and because you hold it in trust you must also look after it properly and discard it if it is no longer safe. Every now and again you may need to buy a new piece to add to the pool - it's your civic duty - a bit like a tax. But the time comes when it is right for you to abandon a piece and bequeath it to a new guardian; just as surely a time will come when you must accept custodianship of a piece that another has abandoned.

Gear flows through climbers like DNA flows through generations. So if someone asks why is is bad form to try to recover an abandoned piece, the answer is simple: it was never really yours in the first place.
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Loose block? I've climbed whole routes without a solid hold. Yorkshire childhoods aside I'd rather be on something solid with my modern pro, using a modern guide and sharing any special experience on a modern thread. However, I don't want to see the back of history, experience, nor even the end of difference (like some of the 'elitist' banter).
 gurumed 23 Jan 2014
> I wouldn't call someone names ("muppet" is hardly extreme name calling anyway) unless it was justified. And i wouldn't do so to their face unless I was sure they wouldn't beat the shit out of me; that is just common sense.

Yes, coming from you "muppet" is downright neighbourly.

> My views are not extreme; they are normal and in the long established tradition of crag swag. It is a great shame that this tradition is being undermined by those ignorant of it.

Ways change.

> But it is still bad form to actually expect and ask for it back.

Say you dropped your wallet down a drain and you couldn't quite reach it. Then someone with longer/thinner fingers manages to retrieve it, would it really be unreasonable to expect the wallet to be returned?
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Wicamoi:

Now that's a good post!

'Trouble' is with gear communism is that some climbers end up more equal than others/muppets. I used to collect a winter climbing rack of bent and bashed nuts from Wildcat every year as an example and then give some back to experienced scottish winter climbers. Thats another factor you missed... often its not wise to give muppets their gear back: to be safe they often need a new one.
Well, if the issue of right and wrong is decided by consensus, the consensus of the majority of people who have commented on this thread is that you're talking tosh.

As makly_c pointed out, the obscure crag-swag ethics that you seem to extol are actually all about being dishonest, in the name of tradition.

Back in the day, when everything was much better than it is now, you generally got to keep swag. This was because internet chat rooms hadn't been invented yet and there was no chance that the owner of the missing nut would ever be found. Fair enough.

This gave rise to a whole sub culture of lobotomised crag swaggers who would turn up at popular climbing venues late on a Sunday evening hoping that they'd be able to capitalise on other peoples misfortune, and save themselves from actually having to buy their own stuff.

The caveat to this was that missing kit should be returned if the owner was still at the crag. This was nothing to do with avoiding a black eye, of course, it was just an accepted part of the great and noble tradition extolled by yourself, and hardly anyone else.

However, the advent of the online climbing community seems to have caused a few problems. It's now perfectly possible to locate the owners of missing nuts, even crappy Zero G ones, and return them in return for the cost of a stamp and a pint of beer.

Indeed, some people have even suggested that it would be dishonest to behave otherwise.

The bizarre solution to this problem, as advocated by the handful of people on this site who still think it's the early 80's, is to invoke yet another unwritten rule of this fine and honourable 'tradition'.

Which can be summed up thusly:

1.) Accept that abandoned gear should be returned to it's owner wherever possible and without verbal abuse or cries of 'muppet'..

But,

2.) Decree that it is 'unacceptable' for the owner of the missing kit to ask for it (and anyone who does so should be lambasted anonymously from a safe distance over the internet..in the name of common sense).

The owner of the missing nut will nave ask for it to be return for fear of a remote-lambasting. The crag swagger won't have to return the booty he's found. Order will be restored to the universe.

As I was saying, complete and utter tosh.
Post edited at 16:30
 Choss 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

In the 80s we used to return Retrieved gear through new routes books in the south west, so i can only Assume this idea of crag swag is From a different part of the country?

GridNorth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

That's interesting but from what I remember of climbing the SW back then it was a little bit of an outpost and most locals used to not stray that far from the area. Likewise visitors from other areas only tended to visit during summer and bank holidays. At least that was my perception at the time. This would have made that arrangement easier to manage.
In reply to gurumed:

> Yes, coming from you "muppet" is downright neighbourly.

Indeed. I reserve "dick-head", "moron", "arsehole" and suchlike for those who truly deserve it; always best to keep something really offensive in reserve for when it is truly justified rather than devaluing it by applying it to mere muppets

> Ways change.

True, but when it is for the worse, there is nothing wrong with resistance.

> Say you dropped your wallet down a drain and you couldn't quite reach it. Then someone with longer/thinner fingers manages to retrieve it, would it really be unreasonable to expect the wallet to be returned?

Interesting point. However, the swag tradition in climbing, as expounded so eloquently by Wicamoi above, works superbly well in climbing because the climbing community is small and concentrates itself in certain places; The win some/lose some effect really does more or less balance out over time. Because the wallet carrying population is huge and because wallet losing, let alone wallet abandonment, is a much rarer occurence than nut or ab tat abandonment, a finders keepers ethic for wallets would not usually balance out over a life time and is therefore not a fair or sensible convention. Also, the contents of a wallet is, with the exception of cash, generally much more use to the original owner than to the finder, whereas a Rock 3, say, is as useful to one climber as the next.
 deepsoup 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:
> It's the same with these posts about a loose block on route such and such. When I first see them I think Oh God!!!

As in "Oh god, I hope some numpty doesn't take it upon themselves to go out and trundle it!"?
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Irrespective of your bogus 'new internet based climber' moralism, for a single nut it's nearly always simply easier and better you buy another one (in your case second-hand). No one is saying its ever unacceptable to post and ask... just the opposite... the thread we produced here relied on it.

Lambasting is a bit strong for banter, the verbal abuse in a few posts in contrast is simply childish and helps no-one and those that keep it up soon discover the moderators do take a dim view. You seem to have the capacity to produce humourous alternative responses, so why not stick to that in future?

Robert's using his own name and I'm far from faceless or safe as I am very publicly linked to various obvious climbing books and meetings and I climb indoors relatively loudly and badly in the Nottingham area.
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Well, if the issue of right and wrong is decided by consensus, the consensus of the majority of people who have commented on this thread is that you're talking tosh.

In can't be bothered to count back through all the posts, but it certainly isn't a concensus and possibly not even a majority. It is also possible to think of all sorts of potential sources of sample bias in a self-selecting sample on a UKC forum thread concerning an issue about internet use.

> As makly_c pointed out, the obscure crag-swag ethics that you seem to extol are actually all about being dishonest.

Certainly not obscure nor, if you accept the swag convention, dishonest. I do concede that, if there was ever a clear concensus that everyone should go to the hassle of asking for and returning swag via the internet, then not bowing to this concensus could be construed as dishonest, but I really don't think things are that bad yet and I hope they never are.
 GridNorth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

No as in "Oh God, anybody would think that this hasn't been experienced before" and "Oh God, how much adventure do we want removed from climbing."

It's a little bit like giving out un-asked for beta and it's another little bit of chipping away at the adventure experience that many seek.

In reality it's just me not managing to adapt to modern communication.
In reply to Offwidth:

> No one is saying its ever unacceptable to post and ask......

I am

> Robert's using his own name.

Though I might have to change it......
> (In reply to gurumed)

> Interesting point. However, the swag tradition in climbing, as expounded so eloquently by Wicamoi above, works superbly well...

Except that it was a joke, because "as expounded" you would be happy for me to rummage through your pack and take what climbing gear I wanted while you were on a route or just grab it off your harness while you were wearing it.
In reply to Offwidth:

Really?

Offwidth: "No one is saying its ever unacceptable to post and ask".

Robert Durran: "Your mistake and where you lost face was to actually ask for it back - that is not acceptable" and "depessingly, the "Lost and Found" forum is full of posts asking for abandoned rather than lost gear back".

> Except that it was a joke, because "as expounded" you would be happy for me to rummage through your pack and take what climbing gear I wanted while you were on a route or just grab it off your harness while you were wearing it.

No. There is undoubtedly an overwhelming and probably unanimous convention that that would be theft. The swag tradition applies to knowingly ABANDONED gear. Almost always stuck nuts and stuff abseiled off.

Offwidth 23 Jan 2014

You either say things you dont mean for fun or fail to recognise an almost addictive need to demonstrate your tradness credentials (almost as much as demonstarting how bad the YDS system is compared to UK grading). I'm guilty of very similar sins I'm sure.

I can just imagine you being chased round the scottish hills by muppets whom you pushed over the edge into murderous rage: "Aghh, I'm Robin, I dont know a Robert....".
In reply to Offwidth:

And yes, I have no doubt doubt that anyone posting on this forum could be located without too much difficulty...but that doesn't mean that posting in a way that you wouldn't talk to someone in person is good form, because it isn't.

You too seem to have the capacity to produce humourous alternative responses...I refer you to your own advice.
 malky_c 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

This thread keeps on giving
In reply to Offwidth:

> You either say things you dont mean for fun....

No. I am deadly serious. Someone has to uphold the noble traditions of climbing in the face of the ignorant tide which threatens to overwhelm us.

> .....a need to demonstrate your tradness credentials almost as much as demonstarting how bad the YDS system is compared to UK grading.

Don't get me started.

> I can just imagine you being chased round the scottish hills by muppets whom you pushed over the edge into murderous rage: "Aghh, I'm Robin, I dont know a Robert....".

So can I. There's a lot of muppets out there.

Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

The words of The Walrus were written to confound rational explanation but still contain some meaning. Who would have thought it? Time to go home now and thanks for entertainment.

deepsoup 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:
> In reality it's just me not managing to adapt to modern communication.

No, I don't think you're being entirely fair to yourself there. It's also you not managing to adapt to modern wall-bred climbers expecting everything to be sanitised for their protection.
 nbonnett 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

S,

looks like your having some good sport here , you not bored yet.

Get on the billy no mates machine and do 10 laps,with no rest for actually going to punterdom that is Idwall Slabs.

As for your Viz book , i recon you've taken the size of the fat slags to heart but that weight ain't gonna get you up them routes
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

is this STILL going on. Its probably rusted away by now!
 steveriley 23 Jan 2014
I once placed an RP on the ungraded pitch of a Lakeland Hard Severe. You can all form an orderly queue to relieve me of my worldly goods and the last of my dignity. Mea culpa. I see this hair shirt now comes in a smaller size, I'll see if I can find the receipt.
 gurumed 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> [Robert Durren, you] either say things you dont mean for fun or fail to recognise an almost addictive need to demonstrate your tradness credentials

Nailed it.

> I can just imagine you being chased round the scottish hills by muppets whom you pushed over the edge into murderous rage: "Aghh, I'm Robin, I dont know a Robert....".

Robert won't be caught in the Scottish hills; he'll be too busy pulling bolts from sport routes in lowland quarries.

> No. I am deadly serious. Someone has to uphold the noble traditions of climbing in the face of the ignorant tide which threatens to overwhelm us.

How will we survive this new hellish era where people give back property when asked for it?
Post edited at 17:09
In reply to gurumed:

> Robert won't be caught in the Scottish hills; he'll be too busy pulling bolts from sport routes in lowland quarries.

I've only spent one evening in the last year pulling bolts from lowland quarries. I would much rather have been in the hills, but someone has to sort these things out.

> How will we survive this new hellish era where people give back property when asked for it?

By ignoring them. Anyway, I contest the use of the word "property" in this context.

gurumed 23 Jan 2014
> Anyway, I contest the use of the word "property" in this context.

I don't see how you can claim that it's no longer property. If you park your car somewhere, get blocked in, and have to walk home and retrieve the vehicle another day have you relinquished ownership?

(It's not a proper internet debate without a car analogy)

Or are you saying that "property is theft", you commie-pinko-bastard?
In reply to nbonnett:
I'll get down the the Manchester Climbing Centre and do 10 laps immediately.

Actually, I was planning a trip down there anyway. I could do with some new rock shoes...I assume that the staff at MCC will abide by the ethics much extolled ethics of 'gear flows through climbers like DNA flows through generations' and let me keep a rental pair that I found behind the counter, along with a harness and a couple of gri-gri's?!

Any yes, I've worn the shoes out because I'm fat. And lazy.
Post edited at 18:06
 FreshSlate 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> As makly_c pointed out, the obscure crag-swag ethics that you seem to extol are actually all about being dishonest, in the name of tradition.

No one is dishonest, If I see your abandoned shiny nut in ordinary route, I'm probably going to take it out.

> This gave rise to a whole sub culture of lobotomised crag swaggers who would turn up at popular climbing venues late on a Sunday evening hoping that they'd be able to capitalise on other peoples misfortune, and save themselves from actually having to buy their own stuff.

If you haven't bothered to abseil down and grab that cam out of a Stanage route then what exactly do you expect? No one is theiving off your harness, people are just clearing whatever crack you have happened to have dislodged your gear in.

If you can't be bothered getting it out, or coming back early the next day; why should someone else be bothered getting it out, taking it home, finding out who's exactly it is, packaging it, taking it to a post office and then paying for it to arrive on your doorstep? It's worth more than the price of the nut for the time it takes the poor chap to do all this.

This is why you lose face to other climbers, because you're inconviencing someone else because you were too lazy to get it out yourself. Although in your case it was not having the foresight to teach your second to take out a nut properly.

> The caveat to this was that missing kit should be returned if the owner was still at the crag. This was nothing to do with avoiding a black eye, of course, it was just an accepted part of the great and noble tradition extolled by yourself, and hardly anyone else.

This making sense to the above as it's simple and easy to do, but again, if the person didn't bother to retrieve the article themselves: they lose face.

> However, the advent of the online climbing community seems to have caused a few problems. It's now perfectly possible to locate the owners of missing nuts, even crappy Zero G ones, and return them in return for the cost of a stamp and a pint of beer.

It's all possible, however most people are happy to flag the loss of a nut and say: "Thankyou to who-ever gets that out for me, you can keep it, good luck, it's in pretty good!"

> Indeed, some people have even suggested that it would be dishonest to behave otherwise.

I'll be returning those crisp packets you left on the belay ledge too, shall I? You've littered and now you want your fag packet back? If that were the case no one would be bothered cleaning up anything, for fear of being called 'dishonest'. You're asking people to spend their own time removing things for you and then you want it back with a ribbon on it? Are we going to wait until the next time you decide to visit Wales for you to take your rusting horrible nut out of a classic low grade route?

You may well think this is very unfair, but climbers are one of the most willing groups people to return things back to people. After rescues people will collect the remaining gear and hold it in good faith until the climbers are safe and/or out of hospital. If gear is found on the ground, obviously misplaced, lost or dropped we do our best to return it. Rucksacks with thousands of pounds of gear in will be handed in and the rightful owner tracked down if at all possible.

People will also returned abandoned gear a lot of the time but if you want people to run around as your errand boys due to your own laziness or incompetence then expect to lose face. If you really want someone to jump through hoops getting that £5 2nd hand nut to you, then someone else might be inclined to think you're a fairly selfish individual.
Post edited at 18:05
 Rog Wilko 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Am I the only one who thinks this thread is like a load of primary school kids in the playground? A few people need to grow up.
 malky_c 23 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Classic! What a load of b0l.l0x
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Errrrrm, you may have a point. To be honest, I'm not sure it's really happening...it might just be a dream.

That said, if we're not all fast asleep, r0x0r.wolfo may have just broken new ground by squeezing such a huge volume of unadulterated old-skool claptrap into a single web posting. Really, it's quite remarkable.

Who know's, we may just have witnessed a Nobel prize winning event.
Post edited at 19:24
ianj 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

At last someone with a bit of common sense ,now go to bed kids school tomorrow !

In reply to FreshSlate:
If you refer to my original post...

I left a purple Zero G nut in the first belay on Ordinary Route the-Friday-before-last.

Has anyone found it? I wouldn't usually ask, but as Zero G have gone out of business I can't replace it.

Must be worth a pint, or something.

...you will find that I simply asked if anyone has found it.

Despite your suggestions, I didn't leave any crisp or fag packets on a belay ledge and at no point did I ask anyone 'to spend their own time removing things for you and then you want it back with a ribbon on it' or 'run around as your errand boys' or 'jump through hoops' in order to get it back to me. Sadly, these just weren't options at the time.

I didn't say any of those things, honestly! You've made them all up! If you don't believe me, re-read the thread (if you can stay awake long enough).

Also, for the reasons already given, I wasn't too lazy, or too inept to go back down and get it and I couldn't re-climb Ordinary Route the next day in order to collect it myself.

So, to get back to my original question, have you managed to find my purple Zero G nut? As a fellow Mancuinian, you're ideally placed to arrange for it's return at a hostelry of your choice. I might even get you a packet of Pork Scratchings to go with that beer that I promised.
Post edited at 19:50
> Plenty of traditions are bad. Personally I would rather live in a world where everyone is nice to each other and would always try to return other people's property should they find it, with due consideration to their misfortune in losing it... :P

Would you like rainbows and unicorns, snowdrops and daffodils,butterflies and bees,sailboats and fishermen, things of the sea, wishing-wells, wedding bells. early morning dew, seagulls and aeroplanes, things of the sky, winds that go howlin', breezes that sigh, city sights, neon lights, grey skies or blue, summertime, wintertime, spring and autumn too, Monday, Tuesday, every day, dances, romances, things of the night, sunshine and holidays, postcards to write, budding trees, autumn leaves, a snowflake or two, in this lovely lovely lovely world of yours too?
Post edited at 21:01
 mattsccm 23 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Bloody hell the shit is flowing tonight.

Anyway.
Leave a nut. Its gone mate.
In reply to gurumed:

> I don't see how you can claim that it's no longer property. If you park your car somewhere, get blocked in, and have to walk home and retrieve the vehicle another day have you relinquished ownership?

No. I don't believe there is such a convention. Again, I doubt this such a convention would balance out fairly over time or be at all convenient (unlike the swag convention).

> Or are you saying that "property is theft", you commie-pinko-bastard?

No

FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> If you refer to my original post...

My response wasn't to your original post. My responses are clearly to the quoted articles. You've gone off on one accusing someone of stealing your bloody nut. Throwing around "dishonesty", "capitalising on others misfortune" yada yada. Give it a rest.
 andrewmc 24 Jan 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Would you like rainbows and unicorns, snowdrops and daffodils,butterflies and bees,sailboats and fishermen, things of the sea, wishing-wells, wedding bells. early morning dew, seagulls and aeroplanes, things of the sky, winds that go howlin', breezes that sigh, city sights, neon lights, grey skies or blue, summertime, wintertime, spring and autumn too, Monday, Tuesday, every day, dances, romances, things of the night, sunshine and holidays, postcards to write, budding trees, autumn leaves, a snowflake or two, in this lovely lovely lovely world of yours too?

Why not? Although that is an impressive list of things. Things don't have to be horrible to be good, unless its esoterica of course... :P

Andrew McLeod
 EliC 24 Jan 2014

you guys are so lame
 Philip 24 Jan 2014
Next time you have the audacity to start a thread on UKC please restrict it to somethingless offensive than abandoning gear on a Diff. Try discussing chipping holds or animal/child cruelty next time.

However, if it's any consolation I can send you a replacement chock to replace yours, I received a whole load of Big Purple Ones for Christmas in a box labeled Quality. Frozen they will make ample gear, and emergency rations.
OP THE.WALRUS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Philip:

Thank you, Philip. That's pretty much the only sensible thing that's been written on this thread since r0x0r.wolfo's enlightened tirade about fag packets at Stanage...not only would a frozen Quality Street make an excellent chock, it would also make a tastly treat if I get stuck on a belay ledge and run out of crisps.

You could even lick it down a size if you get it stuck. Would you mind posting me one? I'll get you a beer!

In reply to FreshSlate:
Come one, you’re just getting angry now…

Really, I think you and the other old skool-ers need to have a strategy meeting before you try and engage in sensible debate. I mean, your policy is all over the place.

In summary:

There’s Wicamoi – who appears to be firmly against the return of lost kit, but has provided a fairly compelling hippy-ish-tantric-sex argument to support his view. Fair enough.

There’s OffWidth – who seems to be broadly pro-trolling, in favour of giving back lost gear and thinks that it’s acceptable for people to ask for the return of stuff that get’s left behind…on the condition that the loser accepts he’s a muppet.

Then there’s the other bloke – who’s put his flag in the militant anti-retuning camp, and believes it’s unacceptable even to ask for missing gear to be returned…because of ‘ethics’, or something. I think he might be a terrorist.

unclesamsauntibess – hasn’t provided a great deal of input since his first, compelling argument. I assume his stance on the status-quo still stands as ‘I do hope your mummy is close enough to wipe your bottom before, during and after bedtime’.

And finally, we’ve got you’re opinion on the matter – which isn’t particularly easy to divine from your phlegm splattered ranting’s. As far as I can tell, you’re anti-littering (which, I think, we can all agree with) and pro-the return of abandoned gear…but then there's something about losing face and fag packets. What's that all about?

I, for one, am quite confused. So I’ll get back to my original question. Have you found my missing nut, or not? And can I have it back?
Post edited at 07:44
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> (In reply to r0x0r.wolfo) If you refer to my original post...
>
> Despite your suggestions, I didn't leave any crisp or fag packets on a belay ledge and at no point did I ask anyone 'to spend their own time

I wouldn't bother trying to explain yourself to someone who uses the phrase "lose face" so many times in a post. Thinks he's a Samurai or something?
 Choss 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

If you put a tight Elastic band over your bawbag, youll soon see your purple nuts again ;-D
Actually, I think you've raised quite an important point here.

As a Samurai who appears to have lost more than a bit of face himself, what would happen if I were to find his face on, say, Ordinary Route at Idwal Slabs.

Would I be able to return his face, or would that be some kind of breach of ethics?

More importantly, would he be able to advertise his lost face on an internet chat room...or would he have to wait until someone were to pipe-up an offer it's safe return in exchange for a pint of beer?

I don't want to upset anyone's sensibilities here, but climbing ethics mixed with the Samurai's code of honour is quite a minefield.
Post edited at 10:17
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I think we've opened up a can of worms with this one.
 BigHairyIan 24 Jan 2014
It's been a fun read! Covered a lot of ground...
 Si Cox 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
The moral of the story seems to be mention your (mis)adventures on the Idwal Slabs on UKC at your peril!

I'm amazed, and slightly amused, at how a crag can create such an amount of raw emotion.

Not the first time too - the recent thread on the way down springs to mind... Probably many others besides.
Post edited at 10:50
In reply to Si Cox:

Indeed. Amazed, but not suprised.

Do you have the latest on snow conditions in the The Atlas...particularly around Mgoun?

I hear there's been a big dump in the Toubkal area, but I'm not sure if snow shoes will be needed to climb Mgoun...I'm heading out there on tuesday.
 Si Cox 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Apologies for thread diversion. Here's the latest: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=571904
 Wicamoi 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> (In reply to r0x0r.wolfo) Come one, you¡¦re just getting angry now¡K
>
> Really, I think you and the other old skool-ers need to have a strategy meeting before you try and engage in sensible debate. I mean, your policy is all over the place.
>
> In summary:
>
> There¡¦s Wicamoi ¡V who appears to be firmly against the return of lost kit, but has provided a fairly compelling hippy-ish-tantric-sex argument to support his view. Fair enough.
>
>
I must have missed the compelling tantric-sex bit.

I didn't really make the argument in favour of the crag swag ethic. I'd much rather wax lyrical about the beauty of gear flowing through climbers like DNA again, and perhaps tell some stories of items I have abandoned and items I have found and how both give me pleasure in their different ways... but instead it seems that you think I should undertake the duller task of codifying Crag Swag Law.

Luckily all anyone needs to grasp to see that Crag Swaggery is easily the fairest, quickest and most effective means of dealing with the issue is the following:

1) The meaning of the word "abandoned." You need to learn this one because the first rule of Swag Club is that it only applies to abandoned gear). Abandoned means "deliberately left behind." It does not mean forgotten. It does not mean unknowingly lost. It does not been accidentally left behind because of temporary ill-fortune. It means you deliberately left it behind because you were either too lazy or too incompetent to retrieve it.

Lesson - Crag Swaggery rewards competence and endeavour.
Result - we learn faster and try harder.

2) Cheats cannot prosper under Crag Swag Law (whereas they can and will prosper under the Lost-And-Found-Forum alternative).

Lesson - Honest people owe it to other honest people to obey Crag Swag Law.
Result - we are a happier, closer community.

3) Crag Swag Law absolutely satisfy Kant's categorical imperative (or, if you prefer, Jesus's "do as you would be done by").

Lesson - Jesus loves a Crag Swagger.
Result - we all go to heaven.

4) Crying over a lost nut is not sexy. You look like a whiny child. Stop it.

Lesson - Crag Swaggery makes you hotter.
Result - everybody has fulfilling and beautiful tantric sex.

NB. With regard to 4) above I am not referring to your original post which wasn't too whiny, but to "please retrieve my gear for me because I am too lazy" posters in general.
In reply to Wicamoi:

The other ethical justification would be that keeping the gear is a justified reward for undertaking a socially useful task.

More to the point if stuck gear got left all over the place it'd be hard to claim 'leave no trace' moral superiority over the sport climbers
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
> (In reply to Wicamoi)
>
> The other ethical justification would be that keeping the gear is a justified reward for undertaking a socially useful task.

And yet the retrieved gear is almost never worth keeping (or maybe I've just been unlucky). In spite of this I've known people give up all there original climbing plans at the merest possibility of gaining some swag.
 Choss 24 Jan 2014

> And yet the retrieved gear is almost never worth keeping (or maybe I've just been unlucky). In spite of this I've known people give up all there original climbing plans at the merest possibility of gaining some swag.

Years ago when they were still almost cheating there was a well stuck original Friend Near the top of a route on left Hand crag at wyndcliffe. Everyone and his dog had tried to Free it in passing including us. It was in such a battered state would Probably not have been worth Retrieving anyway.

I do wonder if its still there Twenty odd years Later? Cant Remember the route. Pretty Central on crag, 2 pitch, about VS.
 wilkie14c 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Wicamoi:

Great post! Linked to it on the lost/found stories thread I'm just posting
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
> The other ethical justification would be that keeping the gear is a justified reward for undertaking a socially useful task.

> More to the point if stuck gear got left all over the place it'd be hard to claim 'leave no trace' moral superiority over the sport climbers

There we go! The nut is a reward for cleaning up after the incapable and incompetent, asking for it back is uncool.

If a pair of climbers start a multipitch route an hour after you and retrieve a nut that you had gotten stuck, would you ask them for it back?
Post edited at 15:56
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Wicamoi:

> I must have missed the compelling tantric-sex bit.

> I didn't really make the argument in favour of the crag swag ethic. I'd much rather wax lyrical about the beauty of gear flowing through climbers like DNA again, and perhaps tell some stories of items I have abandoned and items I have found and how both give me pleasure in their different ways... but instead it seems that you think I should undertake the duller task of codifying Crag Swag Law.

> Luckily all anyone needs to grasp to see that Crag Swaggery is easily the fairest, quickest and most effective means of dealing with the issue is the following:

> 1) The meaning of the word "abandoned." You need to learn this one because the first rule of Swag Club is that it only applies to abandoned gear). Abandoned means "deliberately left behind." It does not mean forgotten. It does not mean unknowingly lost. It does not been accidentally left behind because of temporary ill-fortune. It means you deliberately left it behind because you were either too lazy or too incompetent to retrieve it.

> Lesson - Crag Swaggery rewards competence and endeavour.

> Result - we learn faster and try harder.

Bingo.
In reply to Wicamoi:

You do write well!

I was almost going to wrap this up, after all it's the weekend, so I'm no longer in need of any distractions at work.

But..
In reply to FreshSlate:

As previously discussed...

If a pair of climbers had started an hour after us, it would have been dark and they would have been climbing into a snow storm. I would probably have been too busy organising their rescue to ask for the return of the nut.

Notwithstanding the previous suggestion, that it would have been better to abseil back into the storm, recover then nut and then await the arrival of the Ogwyn Valley MRT, I suggest that the sensible and competent thing to do was proceed up the route while weather and daylight allowed...and leave the little purple solider on the battlefield. I should know, I was there. Actually climbing!

Anyway the definition of 'abandoned', as detailed above, specifically states that a nut which is left behind 'because of temporary ill-fortune' has not been abandoned....and as we were overtaken by an unexpected and unseen change in the weather, I would argue that this particular piece of gear was not abandoned!

In fact, the definition of abandoned is quit narrow; 'it means you deliberately left it behind because you were either too lazy or too incompetent to retrieve it'. As we were neither incompetent nor lazy, the definition doesn't apply.

No doubt you will now announce that if you can't predict the weather with 100% accuracy, 100% of the time you're a muppet who lost face and blah blah blah.

But, before you place fingers to keyboard, I suggest you take a leaf from Wicamoi's book. he's managed to get his point across without accusing anyone of being incapable, incompetent or insufficiently humble. You should give it a go...anything else would be uncool.
 Robert Durran 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Notwithstanding the previous suggestion, that it would have been better to abseil back into the storm, recover then nut and then await the arrival of the Ogwyn Valley MRT.

For the second time: neither I nor anyone else has suggested that! FFS.....
 deacondeacon 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> If a pair of climbers had started an hour after us, it would have been dark and they would have been climbing into a snow storm. I would probably have been too busy organising their rescue to ask for the return of the nut.

Haha, I have no interest in the nut what so ever but that is a pretty funny statement. It's Idwal Slabs not Cerro Torre. Believe it or not there are some climbers who could still get up a diff on a dark and stormy night, they may even enjoy it.

Amazing thread by the way, it's like a little Ukc soap opera.
In reply to FreshSlate:
> (In reply to tom_in_edinburgh)

> If a pair of climbers start a multipitch route an hour after you and retrieve a nut that you had gotten stuck, would you ask them for it back?

Since I would actively try and return it to the person in question I would hardly object to being asked by the owner for it back and since we are in "do unto others..." terrain the reverse should hold.

Walrus: As for the exceptional 'circumstances caveat'...you seem to be suggesting that if I'd faffed about retrieving the nut as the daylight faded and the weather got worse and ended up needing to be rescued, I'd somehow be worthy of having it returned!

Robert Duran: Arguably.
In reply to deacondeacon:
Yeah fair point (s)....but they may have had to leave some gear bend in order to get off the slab safely, which would make them incompetent, right?
Post edited at 16:56
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> Walrus: As for the exceptional 'circumstances caveat'...you seem to be suggesting that if I'd faffed about retrieving the nut as the daylight faded and the weather got worse and ended up needing to be rescued, I'd somehow be worthy of having it returned!

> Robert Durran: Arguably.

Yes, if you had made that poor choice to try to retrieve it and ended up needing rescuing, but I certainly didn't suggest that you should have made that choice in the first place.
Post edited at 17:04

> Since I would actively try and return it to the person in question I would hardly object to being asked by the owner for it back......

No, no, no, you just don't get it do you? It is very bad form to ask for the nut back but if offered it back, you might choose to accept it with suitably grovelling humility. I assume you accept birthday presents thankfully, but don't go round asking for them.
So, logically, in the circumstances surrounding the loss of this cherished nut, as described in depth above:

The right decision was to leave it stuck in the crack and get on with the climb.

The loss does not fit with Wicamoi's definition of 'abandoned', as it wasn't deliberately left behind through laze or incompetence.

It does not, therefore, fall within the definition of crag swag.

And I can justifiably ask if the finder would consider it's return...without all of the name calling!?

Erm, case closed???

Anyway, that's-that. It's Friday night, FFS!
Post edited at 17:22
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> So, logically, in the circumstances surrounding the loss of this cherished nut described in depth above:

> The right decision was to leave it stuck in the crack and get on with the climb.

Yes. That is your call in the circumstances. There is a limit to how long anyone, however determined, is going to judge sensible to spend trying to exctract a nut.

> The loss does not fit with Wicamoi's definition of 'abandoned', as it wasn't deliberately left behind through laze or incompetence.

I don't technically agree with Wicamoi's definition. You knowingly left it behind because you judged it not worth the effort or sensible in the circumstances to persevere with the attempted extraction. In my book that means you abandoned it.

> It does not, therefore, fall within the definition of crag swag.

I think it undoubtedly does, given that I think you undoubtedly abandoned it.

> And I can justifiably ask if the finder would consider it's return...without all of the name calling!?

No. I think that, in the circumstances, the mild appellation "muppet" is about right.

Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> I don't technically agree with Wicamoi's definition. You knowingly left it behind because you judged it not worth the effort or sensible in the circumstances to persevere with the attempted extraction. In my book that means you abandoned it.

So now we have a nit-picking on the definition of abandonment.

Given you have modified it to include "not sensible in the circumstances to persevere with the attempted extraction" - then how long must one persevere, and in what conditions, before gear transforms from legitimate swag to gear that one should return?

And who is the arbiter of that decision?
In reply to Tangler:

> So now we have a nit-picking on the definition of abandonment.

> Given you have modified it to include "not sensible in the circumstances to persevere with the attempted extraction" - then how long must one persevere, and in what conditions, before gear transforms from legitimate swag to gear that one should return?

I have not modified my definition at all. I just don't quite agree with Wicamoi's definition.

There is no time limit. How long one pereseveres is entirely up to personal choice and judgement in the circumstances. If in the end you choose to abandon it then it becomes legitimate swag. It's really very simple.

deacondeacon 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

.but they may have had to leave some gear bend in order to get off the slab safely, which would make them incompetent, right?

Well no, don't put words in my mouth
. It was an off the cuff remark where you were assuming that climbing Idwal slabs in dark, snowy conditions would necessitate a rescue. For some it would, for others it wouldn't.

Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> I have not modified my definition at all. I just don't quite agree with Wicamoi's definition.

> There is no time limit. How long one pereseveres is entirely up to personal choice and judgement in the circumstances. If in the end you choose to abandon it then it becomes legitimate swag. It's really very simple.

>

Ok.
So one should remain until one becomes injured and/or requires rescue in order to avoid gear becoming "legitimate swag"?
In reply to Tangler:

> So one should remain until one becomes injured and/or requires rescue in order to avoid gear becoming "legitimate swag"?

Yes, but that would be a monumental display of extreme muppetry far exceeding any breach of swag ethics. Any climber with any level of judgement at all would have accepted the sensible abandonment of the nut with good grace long before that happened.

So actually you mean anything left on the crag under any circumstances is swag.
Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> Yes, but that would be a monumental display of extreme muppetry far exceeding any breach of swag ethics. Any climber with any level of judgement at all would have accepted the sensible abandonment of the nut with good grace long before that happened.

Crikey - and there was me thinking that is exactly what happened. A sensible decision to abandon a nut with good grace, followed by a friendly post a couple of weeks later suggesting :-
"Has anyone found it? I wouldn't usually ask, but as Zero G have gone out of business I can't replace it.

Must be worth a pint, or something."

Not in the "lost and found" forum - as it was indeed not "lost", but in the rocktalk forum.

Useful definition of swag I found:

...money or goods taken by a thief or burglar.
 Jim Hamilton 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:

> Crikey - and there was me thinking that is exactly what happened. A sensible decision to abandon a nut with good grace, followed by a friendly post a couple of weeks later suggesting :-

> "Has anyone found it? I wouldn't usually ask, but as Zero G have gone out of business I can't replace it.

No. Any good grace was lost by asking for it back.

> Not in the "lost and found" forum - as it was indeed not "lost", but in the rocktalk forum.

Yes, I agree he loses a couple of muppet points for that decision.

Choss 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Done
> Useful definition of swag I found:

> ...money or goods taken by a thief or burglar.

I actually always preferred to use the word "booty" rather than "swag", but I have slightly reluctantly adopted the seemingly universal "swag". Anyway, words mean different things according to context.
Post edited at 18:23
Damnation, Tangler's gone and bloody won it! And I was in the bloody shower!

Anyway. If the old-skool crag swaggers are divided over the definition if ‘abandonment’, they’re in trouble. Divide and conquer!

It would appear, that by Wicamoi's eloquent definition, I am not longer a muppet, and the missing, much loved, nut isn’t crag swag.

Given that r0x0r.wolfo threw his considerable intellect behind Wicamoi's definition, I’m home and clear with my fellow Mancunian, too.

Tangler has all be delivered the coupe-de-grace...all we need to do now is pin you down to your definition of ‘abandonment’ to establish if there are any circumstances in which a nut can ever be left stuck in a crag without the leaver becoming a muppet.

Careful now, I suspect you’re about to accuse pretty much anyone who pulled on a climbing harness of being a muppet.

Even yourself!

Lordy this is addictive. 10 minutes only. No more.
Post edited at 18:27
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
> Since I would actively try and return it to the person in question I would hardly object to being asked by the owner for it back and since we are in "do unto others..." terrain the reverse should hold.

That's not what I said is it?

I am asking would you ask for it back? Not a difficult question is it?
Post edited at 18:31
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> No doubt you will now announce that if you can't predict the weather with 100% accuracy, 100% of the time you're a muppet who lost face and blah blah blah.

It's nothing to do with the weather.

Your mistake was the not predicting that your inexperienced second would have to extract a nut at some point. You've took a lad up a climb who can't take a nut out and now you've lost a nut. Doesn't take a genius...
Post edited at 18:38
Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> No. Any good grace was lost by asking for it back.

This is where the niceties of your reasoning start to break down.

It's okay to abandon gear and ask for it back if you get injured or need rescuing, it's not okay to ask for it back if you make the sensible decision to abandon it in order to get off the hill.

In short you are sayin abandon gear, quite literally, at your peril, for now you are in the mountain and the reasonable norms of societal behaviour are cast aside.....

(Leaving aside the entirely different issues of when is the sensible time to abandon it, bearing in mind the differing capabilities of individual climbers).

I would understand it if he had been particularly demanding, or had said "I couldn't get it back becuase I was too busy lying in bed and I couldn't be bothered" - but he didn't.
Instead a pretty chilled out post, offering a beer if anyone happened to have got it out, happened to be reading the internets and happened to fancy giving it back.
Met with criticism and a set of crag swag "ethics" which appear to hinge largely on your own rather dogmatic interpretation of what in most climbers is actually a pretty laissez-faire attitude.
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> ..all we need to do now is pin you down to your definition of ‘abandonment....

I have made my definition of abandonment abundantly clear and I stick to it.

.....’ to establish if there are any circumstances in which a nut can ever be left stuck in a crag without the leaver becoming a muppet.

Oh dear, you really don't get it do you? Abandonment alone does not in itself (indeed in the majority of cases) constitute muppetry. ASKING FOR IT BACK IS THE MUPPETRY BIT, since it contravenes all long established norms of swag etiquette.

Post edited at 18:37
 martinph78 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

This thread is nuts!

Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> will a survey help ?

Awesome!
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:
> This is where the niceties of your reasoning start to break down.

> It's okay to abandon gear and ask for it back if you get injured or need rescuing, it's not okay to ask for it back if you make the sensible decision to abandon it in order to get off the hill.

Basically, there's the next morning. You get up early and go fetch what you left, you can't do that from hospital.
Post edited at 18:40
In reply to FreshSlate:

Hardly. But for the weather, I would have abseiled down and collected the nut myself. It was pretty much entirely to do with the weather.
Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> It's nothing to do with the weather.

Really? You do climb outdoors don't you?

FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Hardly. But for the weather, I would have abseiled down and collected the nut myself. It was pretty much entirely to do with the weather.

Ah, best to keep the second ignorant then, we shall not teach him the ways of taking out a nut, I'll just abseil after every pitch and take it out for him!

This is not a good tactic no matter what the weather.
In reply to Tangler:
> This is where the niceties of your reasoning start to break down.

No they don't.

> It's okay to abandon gear and ask for it back if you get injured or need rescuing.

Yes. That, in the circumstances, is basic compassion. Though it is possible to imagine rescues resulting from such appalling muppetry that they shouldn't get their gear back. Perhaps if someone spent so long trying to retrieve a stuck nut on the Idwal slabs that they got benighted and went hypothermic.

> .... it's not okay to ask for it back if you make the sensible decision to abandon it in order to get off the hill.

Absolutely. That's how the swag system works. You win some, you lose some.

> In short you are saying abandon gear, quite literally, at your peril, for now you are in the mountain and the reasonable norms of societal behaviour are cast aside.....

The reasonable norms of climbing etiquette apply in the mountains. the swag system has always worked perfectly well as part of that etiquette.
Post edited at 18:48
Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Ah, best to keep the second ignorant then, we shall not teach him the ways of taking out a nut, I'll just abseil after every pitch and take it out for him!

> This is not a good tactic no matter what the weather.

I was going to reply, but it's quite clear from this post that you are just firing for effect.

Well, it's pretty difficult to 'get' because it doesn't make much sense, as Tangler has effectively pointed out...and can be further seen by the fact that NONE of the near 200 posters on this thread have actually expressed any support for the 'ethics' that you extoll. Not even r0x0r.wolfo or the eloquent Wicamoi.

So, for the sake of clarity, are there any circumstances under which someone who has left a piece of gear stuck in a crag ask for it back?

Or, is everyone who has ever posted a similar thread to mine, a muppet?

Again, I urge caution.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:

> Really? You do climb outdoors don't you?

I was going to reply, but it's quite clear from this post that you are just firing for effect.
Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> I was going to reply, but it's quite clear from this post that you are just firing for effect.

A stunning reply, if only for a demonstration that whilst you might be unable to construct an argument you can at least operate "cut'n'paste".

(You DID use cut'n'paste didn't you?)
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:

> A stunning reply,

Thanks.
In reply to FreshSlate:

Well, he's a beginner and, like all of us, he's still learning. He can't be expected to be as skilled as a more experienced climber at extracting gear.

That's nothing to do with what I explained to him before the climb, it's all about the experiential learning cycle..i.e. practise, time, experience and effort makes you better.

You should pay this some heed. Given that you've been arguing the toss for the best part of a couple of days, and haven't managed to make any headway whatsoever!

Time to stop digging?

Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> The reasonable norms of climbing etiquette apply in the mountains. the swag system has always worked perfectly well as part of that etiquette.

I'm sure your swag system has worked perfectly well for you. Keep what you find, and screw the loser, especially if he dares to ask for it back.

I prefer a slightly more chilled out attitude towards other people's kit.
 Fredt 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

This thread brings back fond memories of following a guide and a second up the Aiguille de l'M, he placed about two cams per pitch, and the second didn't know how to remove them.

Full of good intention, I racked up around 8 cams, but there's a lovely ledge just before the last pitch, in the sunshine, it was time for lunch, and a snooze while taking in the scenery.

Sadly, I never got the chance to return the cams.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Well, he's a beginner and, like all of us, he's still learning. He can't be expected to be as skilled as a more experienced climber at extracting gear.

I'm not sure how many people have had to go abseil after their second to get gear out on a multipitch. It's not him I blame though.

> That's nothing to do with what I explained to him before the climb, it's all about the experiential learning cycle..i.e. practise, time, experience and effort makes you better.

If you're climbing with a inexperienced second you don't place tricky to remove gear, if the gear was not tricky to remove then you did a slack job of showing him to take gear out. Either way you've made a mistake, and you've now lost a nut for it. Take it on the chin.
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> So, for the sake of clarity, are there any circumstances under which someone who has left a piece of gear stuck in a crag ask for it back?

Yes. After the vast majority of rescues or accidents, and always if the gear belongs to the rescuers.

> Or, is everyone who has ever posted a similar thread to mine, a muppet?

Yes, except after most rescues or accidents, and never if the gear belongs to the rescuers.

Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> Yes. After the vast majority of rescues or accidents, and always if the gear belongs to the rescuers.

> Yes, except after most rescues or accidents, and never if the gear belongs to the rescuers.

Why "the vast majority" and "most"? Why not "all"?
In reply to Tangler:
> I'm sure your swag system has worked perfectly well for you.

Yes, I've lost about as much as I've gained without ever wasting my own time and expense or anyone else's mailing nuts round the country.

> Keep what you find, especially if he dares to ask for it back.

Actually, I would probably return it if they asked suitably humbly. But they shouldn't have asked at all.

Post edited at 19:09
In reply to FreshSlate:

So, you expect a beginner to be as proficient as an experienced climber on first attempt. Really?

Does this apply to, say, bricklaying and carpentry, or just climbing?

Ridiculous.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> So, you expect a beginner to be as proficient as an experienced climber on first attempt. Really?

> Does this apply to, say, bricklaying and carpentry, or just climbing?

> Ridiculous.

You took this lad up a multipitch for his first climb in bad weather?
In reply to Tangler:

> Why "the vast majority" and "most"? Why not "all"?

I think it is possible to imagine rescues being caused by such muppetry but without injury where, if the recued were not suitably humble, then the loss of the odd nut might be well deserved.
You're back on the slippery slope you were trying to avoid earlier; better to faff around recovering a nut and end up in bother than get on with the climb while we still can.

Anyway, I think we've just about got to the bottom of the problem...you prefer it she people are humble towards you, and don't answer back.

Could this possibly be all about EGO!
Post edited at 19:14
Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> I think it is possible to imagine rescues being caused by such muppetry but without injury where, if the recued were not suitably humble, then the loss of the odd nut might be well deserved.

As judged by...?
In reply to FreshSlate:

Nope, the weather was fine when we set off, as previously and repeatedly mentioned.

Sometimes, the weather just catches you out. One of these days, it might even happen to you.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> Nope, the weather was fine when we set off, as previously and repeatedly mentioned.

> Sometimes, the weather just catches you out. One of these days, it might even happen to you.

It's winter, it's wales, it rains, it goes dark early. You were probably slowed down by the absolute novice you took up, but thats your fault, not his.

Lucky you only lost a nut.
Post edited at 19:23
 malky_c 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I believe that Robert is using the old maths teacher adage that it doesn't matter if your final answer is wrong, so long as you show your working...
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> You're back on the slippery slope you were trying to avoid earlier; better to faff around recovering a nut and end up in bother than get on with the climb while we still can.

No, the exact opposite! I have made that perfectly clear. FFS.... you really are being a bit dim now. In fact you are making a bit of a muppet of yourself.

> Could this possibly be all about EGO!

No. It's about preserving a system which works perfectly well. Anyway if everyone posted on UKC every time they abandoned a nut, there wouldn't be time for anyone to read all the posts and the UKC servers would probably melt down. Fortunately such muppets are presumably still in a small minority and their muppetry should be nipped in the bud.

Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> It's winter, it's wales, it rains, it goes dark early. You were probably slowed down by the absolute novice you took up, but thats your fault, not his.

> Lucky you only lost a nut.

Was he an absolute novice? Was it his first outdoor climb? Were you there to make the judgements you have just made?
In reply to Tangler:

> As judged by...?

The judgement of the person who retrieves the gear. Most people are capable of common sense and compassion I would have thought.

FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:
> Was he an absolute novice? Was it his first outdoor climb? Were you there to make the judgements you have just made?

> So, you expect a beginner to be as proficient as an experienced climber on first attempt. Really?

> My second was a beginner

> my second was climbing slowly and I didn't want to run out of light.
Post edited at 19:31
In reply to FreshSlate:

Well, fortunately for the long a proud tradition of British mountaineering, we're not all fair weather climbers.

I take it you only climb with experienced seconds, in the height of summer, when there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's not dark until midnight. Or at MCC.

Lame.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> Well, fortunately for the long a proud tradition of British mountaineering, we're not all fair weather climbers.

> I take it you only climb with experienced seconds, in the height of summer, when there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's not dark until midnight. Or at MCC.

> Lame.

Don't lash out. I hope you enjoyed the diff more than the second you dragged up it.
Post edited at 19:35
Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> The judgement of the person who retrieves the gear.

So an entirely arbitrary judgement then.

> Most people are capable of common sense and compassion I would have thought.

Yep. My common sense and compassion suggests that if someone has lost something I'll take reasonable steps to get it back to them.

Can't see a lot of compassion in saying that you should be ashamed to even ask for it back.
I refer you to malky_c's amusing post. You will get points for showing your working, but you can't expect me to get the un-gettable.

Strange that you should want to preserve an archaic tradition that involves climbers blowing smoke up your arse as payment for the safe return of their property!

Sound's a bit like serf-tax from the middle ages.
Post edited at 19:39
In reply to FreshSlate:

Actually, as a beginner he enjoyed climbing on Idwal Slabs far more than me.

Lash out? Really?
Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
> > Was he an absolute novice? Was it his first outdoor climb? Were you there to make the judgements you have just made?

> My second was a beginner

> my second was climbing slowly and I didn't want to run out of light.

I took "first attempt" to be in response to your post bemoaning the inability of someone to grasp something straightaway.

I am sure the Walrus can clarify his level of "beginnerness" as well as the level of risk that leads you to suggest that he was lucky only to lose a nut.
Post edited at 19:42
In reply to Tangler:
> Can't see a lot of compassion in saying that you should be ashamed to even ask for it back.

In the case of an accident, I think most people would take active steps to return the gear.

In the case of a simple stuck nut, I think most people, incuding myself, would find it quite hard to refuse a request for the return of the gear. The asking, therefore, undermines a system which has always worked very well and fairly; that is why it is poor form.
Post edited at 19:46
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Strange that you should want to preserve an archaic tradition that involves climbers blowing smoke up your arse as payment for the safe return of their property!

It's not a matter of payment. See my last post above.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:

> I took "first attempt" to be in response to your post bemoaning the inability of someone to grasp something straightaway.

> I am sure the Walrus can clarify his level of "beginnerness" as well as the level of risk that leads you to suggest that he was lucky only to lose a nut.

Does it need clarifying? Can't remove gear, struggles on a diff. Was he a client of yours Walrus?
Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> In the case of an accident, I hink most people would take active steps to return thge gear.

Though obviously what you said was "most accidents" where "most" in your definition equals an entirely arbitrary judgement as to whether the retreiver considers the accident to be worthy enough.

> In the case of a simple stuck nut, I think most people, incuding myself, would find it quite hard to refuse a request for the return of the gear. The asking, therefore, undermines a system which has always worked very well and fairly; that is why it is poor form.

So because your conscience indicates to you that you really should give the nut back, you would rather it wasn't asked for so that you don't feel guilty...?
In reply to Tangler:

> So because your conscience indicates to you that you really should give the nut back, you would rather it wasn't asked for so that you don't feel guilty...?

No, because I can't force someone to be part of a the swag system, however time honoured and well proven it is, against their will. In the end, the system works by common consent and is not the law of the land.

Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Does it need clarifying? Can't remove gear, struggles on a diff. Was he a client of yours Walrus?

I think there are quite a few people that might struggle on a diff in big boots in the rain and yet not be the same "absolute novices" that you appear to think they are.

Not sure of the relevance of the client part, as it was mentioned he got down fine and he enjoyed himself. I thought that was part of the general idea of doing stuff in the mountains.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Tangler:
> Not sure of the relevance of the client part, as it was mentioned he got down fine and he enjoyed himself. I thought that was part of the general idea of doing stuff in the mountains.

I'm not sure why asking if he's a client is making a statement on the "general idea of doing stuff in the mountains"?
Post edited at 19:56
In reply to FreshSlate:
Nope, not a client. He was an old school friend.

He's only done a handful of rock-climbs, single and multi-pitch, but he's very experienced in the mountains, and has completed numerous high altitude trekking peaks around the world.

That the reason we went for an easy (pretty much) road side diff...you've got to start somewhere, and there's no easier place to start than Ogwyn.

That's it for now. I really am going down the pub, I'll deal with the rest of the hate mail in the morning! You should go too, r0x0r.wolfo, just remember to take your ID.
Post edited at 19:59
Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> No, because I can't force someone to be part of a the swag system, however time honoured and well proven it is, against their will. In the end, the system works by common consent and is not the law of the land.

Your swag system certainly isn't the law of the land

Your reply doesn't really explain the prick of conscience that you describe though : -
"In the case of a simple stuck nut, I think most people, incuding myself, would find it quite hard to refuse a request for the return of the gear."

If you don't think your swag system is justified and would be supported by the vast majority of climbers then don't use it. If you do, then stand by your principles. As the celebrated meerkats say "Simples"

I look forward to seeing the result of Jim Hamilton's survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RRNCP5X
Tangler 24 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> I'm not sure why asking if he's a client is making a statement on the "general idea of doing stuff in the mountains"?

Fair enough - I meant it as an indication that - if he was a client he clearly had a good time.

Why did you ask? What is its relevance to whatever point you are trying to make?
In reply to Tangler:

> If you don't think your swag system is justified and would be supported by the vast majority of climbers then don't use it. If you do, then stand by your principles.

I shall.

> I look forward to seeing the result of Jim Hamilton's survey

It will certainly provide some amusement, but, either way, will certainly need to be taken with a large pinch of salt due to the obviouy self selected potential sample bias.

Tangler 24 Jan 2014

> I shall.

Good. As will I. Don't let the prickling of your conscience bother you

> It will certainly provide some amusement, but, either way, will certainly need to be taken with a large pinch of salt due to the obviouy self selected potential sample bias.

I am not sure what makes you think that the users of UKC should have particularly different views to climbers not using UKC.

You have been able to explain your views and I'm sure that most rational people can make a judgement based on the strength of your arguments as compared to mine or anyone else's on this thread.
 FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Nope, not a client. He was an old school friend.

> He's only done a handful of rock-climbs, single and multi-pitch, but he's very experienced in the mountains, and has completed numerous high altitude trekking peaks around the world.

> That the reason we went for an easy (pretty much) road side diff...you've got to start somewhere, and there's no easier place to start than Ogwyn.

Okay. So you wern't paid? Doesn't sound too much like a beginner to be. Had you posted this in lost and found you wouldn't have opened this can of worms. The crag swag debate is an old one, looks as if it's the first time you have come across it. Which is surprising or has it only now become an issue when you're on the losing end?

Ah I remember the last time I was at Ogwyn, shiny new torque nut, gave it to my mate who was building his rack. Once got a nut stuck in a quarry, spent 20 minutes but couldn't get it out. Decided it wasn't worth it, went home, came back a few days later and it was gone, fair play to whoever got it out. Got better at removing and placing gear after that.

> That's it for now. I really am going down the pub, I'll deal with the rest of the hate mail in the morning! You should go too, r0x0r.wolfo, just remember to take your ID.

Ouch!

This is crag swag:

"Just to let you all know, I managed to get a number 3 nut stuck in the traverse of The Blurter today. If you manage to retrieve it at all then you are very welcome to it. I don't think it wanted to live with me anymore anyway!"

All Robert is saying is that this attitude > Yours.
In reply to Tangler:

> Don't let the prickling of your conscience bother you

I won't, because I won't have it on my conscience to have forced anyone to be part of a system against their will (however much I think they mioght be guilty of muppetry).

In reply to FreshSlate:

> "Just to let you all know, I managed to get a number 3 nut stuck in the traverse of The Blurter today. If you manage to retrieve it at all then you are very welcome to it. I don't think it wanted to live with me anymore anyway!"

> All Robert is saying is that this attitude > Yours.

Yes, I think that sums things up nicely.

nbonnett 24 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

can't wait to read your next episode of losing gear , especially when your in the Atlas mts.

for f*ck sake don't post you've lost your bog roll , anyhow good effort in keeping this total shite going and have a good trip.

buy you a pint if you nick any twidlet ice projects.
 Jim Hamilton 24 Jan 2014
>
> , but, either way, will certainly need to be taken with a large pinch of salt due to the obviouy self selected potential sample bias.

you're just ahead! 11 votes to 9

> you're just ahead! 11 votes to 9

I won't count my nuts until my second has got them out.
 mbh 24 Jan 2014
.....ASKING FOR IT BACK IS THE MUPPETRY BIT, since it contravenes all long established norms of swag etiquette.

I don't want to get involved in this, but I do want to add one more voice that says "I don't recognise your norms, I don't want any part of them and I don't see why behaviour on the mountain should depart at all from common courtesy.". The norm you are advocating strikes me as a cheap form of dishonesty, nothing more. We have the internet now. It is easy to ask for stuff back and easy to tell others that you have found something. I have done both. Given this, keeping other peoples' property without making reasonable efforts to to return it amounts to theft.

FreshSlate 24 Jan 2014
In reply to mbh:
A left a nut in a route in a quarry once. Couldn't get it out, someone else did.

Should he be charged with theft? He didn't make a thread about it on UKC.

Should I be charged with littering? Leaving scrap metal around?

Is he a good samaritan for wrestling that nut out so others can better enjoy the route or is he a common criminal?

He can keep the nut for doing his bit clearing the route of junk for me. I see far too many old fixed cams and rubbish. But it might be preferable to leave them in so the fuzz don't come a knocking. Do you think Walrus drove back to Wales to look for it?
Post edited at 22:16
In reply to mbh:
> I don't want to get involved in this.

Good..... oh, it seems you do.....

> Keeping other peoples' property without making reasonable efforts to to return it amounts to theft.

I just found this post of yours on another thread:

"I quite like it when gangs of kids go by on their BMXs, without lights or brakes, one leg straight, one leg bent sideways (why do they do that?). It's part of the urban environment and suggests that all is normal and ticking along".

So you condone downright dangerous illegality when it suits your own twisted view of street culture, but object to the ebb and flow of the odd stuck nut changing hands.

Muppet.
Post edited at 22:33
 EarlyBird 24 Jan 2014
In reply to mbh:

When is your duty to try and return crag swag discharged? Is posting on UKC enough? Should you widen the search for the former owner to include other climbing forums? Should that include fora in Europe, America? - we climbers get around. Perhaps the only safe option is to take that no.3 Rock you've retrieved straight down to the police station, you wouldn't want to risk being accused of theft.

Personally I prefer the widely accepted pre-Internet etiquette of "you win a few, you lose a few". When I leave a piece of gear I prefer not to embarrass myself by asking for its return on an Internet forum.

Not really good form to go trawling through someone's old posts looking for ammunition.
OP THE.WALRUS 25 Jan 2014
In reply to EarlyBird:

When is your duty to try and return crag swag discharged?

In this case, the answer to you query is enshrined in UK Law under the Theft Act of 1968:

Basic definition of theft.

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

and;

A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking **reasonable steps**.

Given that listing the missing item on an internet chatroom is a perfectly reasonable step, it would appear that crag swaggers have been breaking the law for some time.

I await howels of outrage, and cries of 'muppet'.

Where's OffDuty?
In reply to EarlyBird:

Any yes, it could be argued that leaving a nut behind fulfils the cirteria of UK littering law:

It is an offence to drop litter in any place open to the air, including private land, and land covered by water.

But, I would suggest, that whoever left the nut behind would escape prosecution under the doctrine of 'spirit of the act' - i.e. that the act was invoked to stop people dropping rubbish in the street, not to proscecute climbers who try in vain to remove stuck gear.

Oh, another Muppet! There's a suprise. Are you really 47 years old? Really?

You're trying to argue the 'ethics' 'attitude' angle, whilst trawling through past postings to dig up irrelevant ammunition to support your (increasingly surreal) argument and calling anyone who disagrees with you a muppet!

Time to grow up.
Post edited at 07:29
 Siward 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

If you're going to resort to law, then consider this, an accurate reflection of the law taken from the CPS legal guidance pages:

"Abandoned property

In order to be capable of being stolen, property must, at the time of appropriation, 'belong to another'. If property has been abandoned then it has no owner. It cannot be stolen. "

In reply to Siward:
Fair point. But, if the person who lost the nut has advertised for it's return at the time of it's appropriation, the missing nut does, infact, have an owner who can easily be identified by taking the prescribed 'reasonable steps'.

The dishonesty element of the offence of theft might, therefore, be made out. But who cares?

Like the rest of this thread, it's all irrelevant anyway. I'm not actually suggesting the we invoke the Theft Act and have a judge decide the rights and wrong of crag swagging. In all likihood, any prosecution of a crag swagger would fail on the grounds that it 'is not in the public interest' to prosecute an otherwise upstanding member of the community for freeing a lost nut from captivity. I was just answering EarlyBirds question.

That said, I'm fairly confident that certain posters on this threat could be detained underinately under S.136 of the Mental Health act, based on some of the gumpf that's been posted on this thread.

And I'm not entirely sure that I would escape the men in white coats, all things considered.
Post edited at 08:35
 JJL 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Siward:

> "Abandoned property

> In order to be capable of being stolen, property must, at the time of appropriation, 'belong to another'. If property has been abandoned then it has no owner. It cannot be stolen. "

It wasn't abandoned. He was imply pre-equipping the route for a repeat ascent at some future point...
> Not really good form to go trawling through someone's old posts looking for ammunition.

+1 to that

Poor show Robert,

Cheers

Gregor
Post edited at 09:55
 Wicamoi 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I think the last few posts have illustrated why we don't want to get the law involved at all. Instead let's rely on common decency - we haven't got much choice.

I'm afraid your former nut falls squarely under my definition of "deliberately left behind because too lazy or too incompetent to retrieve it."

I don't mean any disrespect by that. I would certainly have left the nut behind given similar circumstances. But the fact remains that you walked away from the nut of your own volition. You were not prepared to put in the necessary effort to get the nut back (=too lazy), or you were concerned that you could not do it safely (=incompetent - although with hindsight it would have been wiser if I'd said 'not competent' as it sounds less like a value judgement).

Accidents are allowed as an exception under crag swag rules, probably because it was more than likely that the former owner of the nut could be relocated, and because the poor lad in a splint naturally encourages we tender-hearted humans to present him with a gift. Lost and found forums are, I accept and regret, undermining the crag swag ethic. Do not allow yourself to imagine that this is somehow a good thing. All it will achieve is to make the redistribution of abandoned gear much more time-consuming, and slightly less egalitarian.

It is not perhaps surprising that novice climbers will think of crag swag as somehow dishonest, but given more experience they will generally realise why the system evolved, and how it is in fact a very fair system - fairer, more appropriate, and a great deal less hassle than the law of the land/lost and found forums.

Robert and I will continue to follow crag swag however much you attempt to characterise us as dishonest, because, actually, we know that we are honest. We won't prosper from doing so - we'll win some and lose some - so there's no need to get sniffy about it. And I encourage you to join us, I encourage all honest mountaineers to join us, because the more people that join us the fairer it is for everyone. If you don't join us, if follow the lost and found forum route, you will increase your chance of getting your own particular nut back, yes, but you'll also open a loop hole for the dishonest to exploit. The dishonest will ask for their gear back in the lost and found forums, but they won't advertise the gear they've found. Cheats will prosper - but they can't prosper under crag swag law.

Unfortunately neither crag swag nor the lost and found forums can do anything about proper thieves - they have to face the law in the normal way.

Robert Durran 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> Oh, another Muppet! There's a suprise.

Not really. There's a lot of them about.

> Are you really 47 years old? Really?

No

> Time to grow up.

I have. I'm now 49.
Post edited at 10:36

> Not really good form to go trawling through someone's old posts looking for ammunition.

Just exposing hypocrisy. I don't see a problem with that.
Anyway, it took about 30 seconds - hardly trawling.
In reply to Wicamoi:

This would be find, except you and Robert don't agree on the rules of the Crag Swag ethic.

Given the circumstances surrounding the loss of the nut, even Robert Durran, that stalwart Crag Swagger, has accepted that the compatent thing to do was climb on, rather than absailing back down to collect it.

My behaviour cannot, therfore, fall under the 'not competent' strand of the crag swag ethic.

It sounds like you're accusing anyone who has used the lost and found forum under these circumstances as being dishonest cheat...alienating the voting public will not assist in Jim Hamiltion's all important on line survey!

As previously mentioned, I didn't suggest getting the law involved, I merely answered a question with regards to the low on theft.

In reply to Wicamoi:

I think there are two things going on here.

1/ Debate over crag-swag ethics which, despite Robert's assertions, are not a well established and understood tradition (as shown by his not agreeing with your definitions of abandonment etc)

2/ Should Walrus have made his original post.

I think the crag swag business is open to some debate but it doesn't really apply to Walrus's situation as it was a rather mild appeal giving anyone who may have found said gear (that is almost certainly not worth having) the option of getting in touch about it and, presumably, coming to an amicable arrangement that would not leave the finder disadvantaged.

Agreed. Given that everyone who disagrees with you automatically becomes a muppet...there are indeed rather a lot of them about.
>
> [...]
>
> Just exposing hypocrisy. I don't see a problem with that.
> Anyway, it took about 30 seconds - hardly trawling.

I always think the hypocrisy angle is best not employed in a debate of ideas as the point made should be taken on its own merit (or lack of it) rather than the merits of the originator.

> Debate over crag-swag ethics which, despite Robert's assertions, are not a well established and understood tradition (as shown by his not agreeing with your definitions of abandonment etc)

No, but it may well be becoming less well understood (as evidenced in this thread). However, I seriously believe that it is a good, community spirited convention which has always worked perfectly well. Certainly worth preserving and promoting.
Interestingly enough, I am of the opinion that The Walrus should not have made his origional, mild mannered appeal...although not for the reasons that the Crag Swaggers may hope.

It cost me a hour of pub time last night, and I'm not far-off getting a thick ear from Mrs Walrus as a consiquence of time spent posting pointless messages when I could be treating her to a breakfast of raw fish and seal blubber.

As you say, the ethics of crag swagging aren't as well established as the old skool might like to think; otherwise they'd be in agreement over the detail of the ethics, and they wouldn't be facing a barrage of bemused disagreement.
Post edited at 10:53
 Wicamoi 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

You are, quite skilfully, confusing two different things, just making them appear the same by re-using a word.

Yes, the 'competent' thing to do was to climb on - we can all agree on that - but that has no bearing on whether or not you left the nut behind because of laziness or non competence to retrieve it. In fact, your correct choice, to abandon the nut, simply demonstrates that you were not competent to retrieve it. You took a gamble with the time and the weather - you lost. You're man enough to take it on the chin.

I am certainly not accusing the people who post on lost and found forums of being cheats. Most of them post their 'lost nut' simply because they want their nut back (I encourage them to take it on the chin too, and learn not to make the same mistake again). Those who post their 'found nut' are clearly honourable and admirable human beings, acting out of a sense of decency - albeit misguided. Some of them may also get a kick out of being seen to be so decent, but who could hold that against them?

But if you were a slightly cheaty type, you'd do much better under the lost and found system than under the crag swag system.
 Wicamoi 25 Jan 2014

1. Robert and I do not disagree about the definition of abandonment - that was merely a bit of casuistry on Walrus's part.

2. I haven't made a comment on this. It's up to Walrus what he posts.
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
Still going eh?

A stuck nut simply can never be regarded as theft unless you made it clear to anyone likely to find it you intend to return and get it. Some one above rhetorically asked exactly how many places would you need to notify other than UKC. Oddly some strange people walk climb and do other stuff rather than ever use the internet. Handing low value objects into the police station could work for some but its clearly stupid as it wastes police time and money.

As a top tip one can carry specially designed plastic bags containing a card with ones name address and phone number and a legend "Muppet apologizes but..."; alongside a pre-paid self addressed envelope taped round the nut to stop it becoming litter. Of course as a responsible chap when taking begginers up Ordinary Route on a winter day (which yes I've done on a few occasions) if one wanted to recover the nut on the first belay, one knows one is always easily good enough to solo the easy grade rock on pitch one (even if wet, with one hand tied behind ones back), possibly if its getting very dark using the head torch one always needs in winter, but one wouldn't always do that as its a bit showy and the beginner might get cold and the pub will be more attractive and it would so spoil the potential subsequent fun on UKC.

The mental health stuff you said is below you... it really is best to stop name calling. I'd recommend reading the Black Dog thread on UKB. One in four of us will have severe mental health problems at some time in our life and this afflicts many climbers and isn't really very funny (unlike occasional muppetry which is even more common and nearly always is funny)

In the meantime there have been a few gems on this thread so I thank you again. It's been so good I'll happily buy you (or any other major contributor) a pint for free if you ever see me and remind me. We can celebrate internet web forums and how they enhance the quieter bits of our lives. That is if you can take a joke or two without resentment. I still genuinely hope you get the nut back, its extra special now after all.
Post edited at 11:14
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wicamoi:

Your top of my pint list. I must admit I'd not noticed your posts here before: what kind of muppet am I ?
In reply to Wicamoi:

>
> 1. Robert and I do not disagree about the definition of abandonment - that was merely a bit of casuistry on Walrus's part.
>
> 2. I haven't made a comment on this. It's up to Walrus what he posts.

Sorry it was actually Robert who said he didn't entirely agree with your definitions (in a reply to The.Walrus so long ago...)
The second bit was generally about the forum and not aimed at you.

In fact the answer to should the post have been made is clear:

For or against it would have robbed us of a lot of entertainment if it hadn't been posted!
Post edited at 11:21
 Wicamoi 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks! I agree with your point about the meaning that is now attached to this particular piece of gear. I'd make an exception and return it to him - he's earned it.
 Wicamoi 25 Jan 2014

> Sorry it was actually Robert who said he didn't entirely agree with your definitions (in a reply to The.Walrus so long ago...)

That's true, but Robert only said that because he's been cleverly misled by WALRUS.
In reply to Wicamoi:

>
> [...]
>
> That's true, but Robert only said that because he's been cleverly misled by WALRUS.

Those Walrus's; who'd have known they were so cunning!
Post edited at 11:28
In reply to Wicamoi:
Thanks. I don't think I've ever been called clever before (let alnoe cunning)...I'll chalk that up as a major compliment, lost in a sea of light hearted critisism!
Post edited at 11:49
In reply to Offwidth:

Sounds fabulous.

Consider yourself owed a pint, also. It always tastes nicer when it's been hard earned!

Given the special significance that has been placed upon this particular crappy, battered rusting Zero G I can but hope that one day it will be reunited with it crappy, rusting, battered pals.
 Choss 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Surprised Nobody has Suggested you should go Back up get your nut then jump off the belay rather than endure the Shame
;-D
 steveriley 25 Jan 2014

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting some useful content for my muppet filter here
Post edited at 11:59
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

I suggested he could have done when he had finished the descent. I've scrambled up to the first belay to help someone in similar trouble then back down in a few minutes. Its easy graded rock to there on jugs and is still pretty secure in the wet unless the small waterfall that can come down the route has started! Easier than the start of the grade 2 scramble for example round to the right.

It's a good place for multi-pitch beginners following an experienced leader but not so much for inexperienced parties. It regularly catches people out: gear does get stuck and dropped all too often (always where a lid when leading below parties above and gear up away from the base) and little problems can cascade to an epic on the scary (for beginners) descent.

'However, the swag tradition in climbing, as expounded so eloquently by Wicamoi above, works superbly well in climbing because the climbing community is small and concentrates itself in certain places; The win some/lose some effect really does more or less balance out over time. '

hi Robert,

Entertaining thread, a few observations

Firstly though- I generally agree with the 'left on route because you couldn't retrieve it means its gone, and good luck to the person that finds it' ethic. I wouldn't post asking for a nut back myself, and I've got a few on my rack that have balanced out the ones I've abandoned.

But: as has been shown, there is no universally agreed ethic now, even of there ever was one. While many people broadly support the crag swag ethic, when specific situations are set out, there is no one who completely agrees with your position. So an appeal to preserving a universal ethic doesn't really hold, as here, and on previous threads about this, there appear to be as many different views about what precisely that ethic is as there are climbers. Which is to be expected, we are an individualistic bunch who don't like following other people's rules.

I think the quote from your earlier post above might get to the root of the issue. When climbing was an activity practised by fewer people, who were maybe less likely to travel so much, it was more likely that the crag swag would be left by someone you knew, who was of a roughly similar level. The win some/lose some was more likely to be true, and while you really wouldn't want to lose face by asking for your gear back from someone you were likely to get a ribbing from, that ribbing would be fair enough as you would likely have some ongoing relationship with the person doing it.

That's less likely to be the case any more, with more climbers travelling further afield. Gear is more likely to be abandoned by less experienced climbers, and flow of gear is from the less to the more experienced. Which is in some ways fair enough; like I said, if you get my gear out, and I couldn't, it's yours. But no everyone can afford to haemorrhage gear while they learn the hard way how to extract tricky pieces; and when the ethic involves a component which is to pour scorn and shame on beginners who have never bought into your ethic, then there is an aspect of it starts to look uncomfortably like bullying.

The world changes, and so does the game we play. Like I said, I tend to agree with the broad principle of crag swag. But if you want it to survive to the next generation, and I think that would largely be a good thing, the persuading people rather than abusing them is the most likely way to achieve that.

This thread has shown the ''crag swaggers' in a particularly poor light; the walrus made a perfectly reasonable request, as the gear had some sentimental value. It wasn't someone who had got a random nut stuck on grotto slab just expecting to get it back. He's generally showed good humour in the face of continuous accusations of muppetry, incompetence and bedwetting, and has contrasted with the generally self righteous and overly serious crag swaggers. You might be preaching to the converted, but I doubt if you've persuaded many previously unaware of the ethic that its the correct way to go- which I agree it is, minus the contempt.

Cheers
Gregor

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Well, you've definately earned a beer, Theakstons presumably.

And good to find another fan of all things Peruvian...I'm heading out to the Huayhuash in June, if it's half as nice as your photos it may even top the Ogwyn Valley on a rainy Friday afternoon in January!
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

No worries... Timmy Taylor's landlord would be the local tipple here though...

Huayhuash are amazing, what you doing out there, the circuit plus some climbs... ?

Cheers gregor

> I always think the hypocrisy angle is best not employed in a debate of ideas as the point made should be taken on its own merit (or lack of it) rather than the merits of the originator.

Yes, I agree the argument in favour of the swag ethic should (and indeed does) stand on its own merit. However, I think the fact that mbh clearly condones another sub-culture where there is a tacit acceptance of (arguable) illegality within that circle is quite revealing (though cycling without lights or brakes could clearly impinge negatively outside that circle in a way that the swag convention clearly doesn't). I am sure there are plenty of other harmless and indeed sensible examples I am not aware of.

> But, as has been shown, there is no universally agreed ethic now, even of there ever was one.

No, clearly not. If there was, this thread would never have got going. However, given that there are only, perhaps, one or two post on here per day requesting the return of abandoned gear and, conservatively, every climber must abandon one or two pieces per year, it seems to me that the vast majority are still happy to let the swag tradition take its course. The tradition is still healthy and worth standing up for.

> While many people broadly support the crag swag ethic, when specific situations are set out, there is no one who completely agrees with your position. So an appeal to preserving a universal ethic doesn't really hold, as here, and on previous threads about this, there appear to be as many different views about what precisely that ethic is as there are climbers.

Yes, that is undoubtedly true. However, I think that what all broadly pro-swag climbers will agree is that the requests for single stuck nuts or abandoned abseil slings and screwgates (why do people abandon screwgates? I've a vast collection. Might give a few away) is just plain silly. Muppetry in fact.

There are, of course, grey areas and commen sense can be appied. Indeed, if someone posted on here that they had abandoned hundreds of pounds worth of gear bailing off a route and I had happened to gather it up, I would reunite them with it. After all, the rationale for the swag tardition is that the win some/lose some effect balances out in time; a major loss such as this is far less likely to do so. The swag tradition is, again, really about those odd pieces of abandoned gear.

> When climbing was an activity practised by fewer people, who were maybe less likely to travel so much, it was more likely that the crag swag would be left by someone you knew, who was of a roughly similar level. The win some/lose some was more likely to be true.

I'm not sure I see the logic of that. If anything I think it might work even more equitably with more climbers travelling more.

> when the ethic involves a component which is to pour scorn and shame on beginners who have never bought into your ethic, then there is an aspect of it starts to look uncomfortably like bullying.

I don't think anyone has said the swag ethic involves pouring scorn or shame on anyone. There has been some gentle poking of fun on this thread, but it has all been remarkably good natured (certainly compared with a thread on the same topic a while back which turned very nasty indeed when someone started telling outrageous and offensive lies about what I had posted - thankfully, he has kept well clear last time). On this thread, I don't think anyone has used a term stronger than "muppet"; as, someone said, it's almost neighbourly!

> The world changes, and so does the game we play. Like I said, I tend to agree with the broad principle of crag swag. But if you want it to survive to the next generation, and I think that would largely be a good thing, the persuading people rather than abusing them is the most likely way to achieve that.

Agreed. I don't think anyhing I have posted could seriously be termed abuse, but I hope(rather forlornly) I might have persuaded one or two people. I eagerly await the final count in that survey!

> This thread has shown the ''crag swaggers' in a particularly poor light.

Oh come on! It's been basically good natured fun.

> The walrus made a perfectly reasonable request, as the gear had some sentimental value. He's generally showed good humour in the face of continuous accusations of muppetry, incompetence and bedwetting.

Yes, he deserves credit for taking it all in good spirit.

> ......and has contrasted with the generally self righteous and overly serious crag swaggers.

You mean compared with the muppets going on self-righteously about a swagged stuck nut being some sort of criminal act of theft!

Yeah...I was planning on climbing Diablo Mudo during the trek, and then heading back to the Cordillera Blanca to have a go at some of the more popular 6000ers.

Depends on conditions, really - Chopicalqui, Huscaran, Alpamayo...that sort of thing,

I had a great couple of months there in 2011 and I've already climbed Pisco, and all of the usual peaks in the Ishinka Valley, so I'm looking to fill in the gaps.
 FreshSlate 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> When is your duty to try and return crag swag discharged?

> In this case, the answer to you query is enshrined in UK Law under the Theft Act of 1968:

> Basic definition of theft.

> A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

> and;

> A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking **reasonable steps**.

> Given that listing the missing item on an internet chatroom is a perfectly reasonable step, it would appear that crag swaggers have been breaking the law for some time.

Definition of abandoned

"Property is generally deemed to have been abandoned if it is found in a place where the true owner likely intended to leave it, but is in such a condition that it is apparent that he or she has no intention of returning to claim it. Abandoned property generally becomes the property of whoever should find it and take possession of it first"

Your nut was abandoned, the person who has it has done nothing wrong.

Any found gear could be taken to a nearby police station and then claim them later, which would also be perfectly reasonable.
Post edited at 16:50
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
> "I found myself in the Cordillera Darwin a couple of years ago with nothing more to read than the 1991 Viz Annual and the instructions for my Jet Boil."

Anyway, any thread that throws up something as masterful as this line has got to be all good. Keep going and I'm sure you've got the opening line of a Boardman Tasker winner.
Post edited at 16:55
 FreshSlate 25 Jan 2014
In reply to JJL:

> It wasn't abandoned. He was imply pre-equipping the route for a repeat ascent at some future point...

With one nut, no quickdraw. No one is buying that.

> No, clearly not. If there was, this thread would never have got going. However, given that there are only, perhaps, one or two post on here per day requesting the return of abandoned gear and, conservatively, every climber must abandon one or two pieces per year, it seems to me that the vast majority are still happy to let the swag tradition take its course. The tradition is still healthy and worth standing

Agreed.
>

> There are, of course, grey areas and commen sense can be appied. Indeed, if someone posted on here that they had abandoned hundreds of pounds worth of gear bailing off a route and I had happened to gather it up, I would reunite them with it. After all, the rationale for the swag tardition is that the win some/lose some effect balances out in time; a major loss such as this is far less likely to do so. The swag tradition is, again, really about those odd pieces of abandoned gear.

I don't think they necessarily do though- I guess people abandon most gear early in their climbing career, while they are still learning. That may also be when they can least afford to lose it financially. I would never dream of asking for a single nut back, not least because the effort of getting it back seems more than just getting a replacement, but I don't know everyone's circumstances. There is a case that the lose/find thing evens out over a climbing lifetime, but again it's in those early stages that people might find it hardest to replace stuff.

> I don't think anyone has said the swag ethic involves pouring scorn or shame on anyone. There has been some gentle poking of fun on this thread, but it has all been remarkably good natured (certainly compared with a thread on the same topic a while back which turned very nasty indeed when someone started telling outrageous and offensive lies about what I had posted - thankfully, he has kept well clear last time). On this thread, I don't think anyone has used a term stronger than "muppet"; as, someone said, it's almost neighbourly!

Well, there has been a general consensus amongst the pro swaggers that losing gear is incompetence or muppetry. While I might be happy to go along with a mate calling me a muppet, it would be harder to take from a number of people I didn't know on a forum I visit regularly, particularly when the people doing the labelling are clearly very experienced and high profile on here. Maybe they'd be correct, but that wouldn't make it any easier, and I certainly wouldn't be persuaded by their arguments about the ethics of the topic....

> You mean compared with the muppets going on self-righteously about a swagged stuck nut being some sort of criminal act of theft!

> ok, so there has been some overly serious stuff from the anti swaggers too...

Agreed, unclesam... Aside its been more civilised than most of these threads, though I still think you'd be more effective at persuading people if you stopped suggesting people were muppets...

Cheers

Gregor

In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Photos in my galley are from Diablo mudo... Brilliant trip, colca canyon was amazing too

Sounds like a great journey you've got planned there, look forward to seeing the photos, and will get out there again myself some day!

Cheers

Gregor

> Well, there has been a general consensus amongst the pro swaggers that losing gear is incompetence or muppetry.

I'm not sure there has been. Anyway, it usually isn't. It happens to everyone. I've abandoned two nuts since Christmas. Then again, I may just be an incompetent muppet.

FreshSlate 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:
Looks like the threads been wrapped up with some late replies off offwidth and Wicamore. Crag swag isn't just a British thing either. Americans call it booty.

I think you touched on something Gregor. When you leave the nut you decide it isn't worth your time and you buy a replacement right?

If it isn't worth your time, is it worth someone elses plus the time it takes them to find who you are and then post it to you at their expense or further time in collecting postage from you?

Or is our time more important than theirs?
Post edited at 17:56
 wynaptomos 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Wouldn't pick you up on this normally however as you have repeated it several times in this thread now, I have to inform you that the Idwal slabs are in the Ogwen valley, not somewhere called Ogwyn

Muppet!

I haven't abandoned any for ages...

but then that's largely because I've not really been doing much climbing recently

In reply to FreshSlate:

> Looks like the threads been wrapped up with some late replies off offwidth and Wicamore.

Translation:

'Looks like some other people have posted with the same opinion as me...'

FreshSlate 25 Jan 2014
> Translation:

> 'Looks like some other people have posted with the same opinion as me...'

>

People had posted their similar opinions before me aswell, the thread is dying. Call it agree to disagree, both them have posted the most coherent versions of the argument yet, thus I am running out of material.

See my edit.
Post edited at 18:00
 JJL 25 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Jeepers. Did you truly think I meant that?
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Looks like the threads been wrapped up with some late replies off offwidth and Wicamore. Crag swag isn't just a British thing either. Americans call it booty.

> I think you touched on something Gregor. When you leave the nut you decide it isn't worth your time and you buy a replacement right?

> If it isn't worth your time, is it worth someone elses plus the time it takes them to find who you are and then post it to you at their expense or further time in collecting postage from you?

> Or is our time more important than theirs?

Yup, that's one of the reasons I'd never try to ask for a single low value piece of gear back. Life is busy enough, and I wouldn't want to impose on someone to have to arrange for the return of it.

In the walrus' case, where there is some sentimental value, that's different, and I'd be happy to for a token pint; nor do I think he should be subject to a ribbing for asking, as I think it is a different situation..

But in general I agree with Robert, it does tend to balance out over time; it's an interesting subject though, as there does seem to be a change in values over time, and that's worth looking at more closely...

And you're right, thread does seem to be drawing to a close, with general agreement and good humour, one of the better ones on ukc recently....

Cheers

Gregor

Thirdi 25 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Do I get a pint of Lambrini ?

:0
 FreshSlate 25 Jan 2014
It's interesting to note that in posting this thread Walrus has tacitly acknowlegded and agreed to the rules of crag swag:

"I wouldn't usually ask"

This is a rather meek way for asking for ones own property back. Posting in rocktalk instead of lost and found indicates that he knew he didn't lose the nut but infact left it there, there was no returning the next day because the inconvenience of going back was not worth it.

This meek and mild mannered request is evident that he accepted that in a normal case, he would not be asking for it back. To be fair the attitude displayed in the O.P is fine and totally consistent with the law of crag swag.

It's the over zealousness of aunt-whoevers attacks that caused this whole uproar. Even the most staunch traditionalist tore into uncleaunt to be fair though.

Fair enough you think he shouldn't be subjected to a ribbing, if your definition of ribbing is uncleaunts reply. But just like any system, moral or etiquette some people may look down at their nose at you, and some may even voice their opinion (such as offwidth, Robert). But essentially you do what you want.

Climbers have a few things they believe are bad form; hogging classics, spraying beta, tat, damaging or spoiling the route in anyway. Anyone willing to spend half an hour wrestling that rusty nut out of a climb gets kudos as they are preserving the feel of the route for others. If the nut is not extracted then eventually the wire should be cut, for the reason stated above and to stop others using a dubious piece of gear. The same goes for in situ old cam slings etc.

For me leaving gear in a route is embarassing, especially if it can't be removed, I know someone else is going to have to correct my mistake. It is bad form to ask favours of people who are clearing up after you.
Post edited at 22:20
OP THE.WALRUS 26 Jan 2014
In reply to shirleynot:

Are you flirting with me, shirleynot? I can usually tell.

I must warn you that I'm pretty disappointing in real life.
OP THE.WALRUS 26 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
Dude,

You’re just going to have to let this go. After all, we’d just about arrived at a satisfactory conclusion that seemed to be acceptable to pretty much everyone. In fact, I’d say we almost certainly exceeded expectations:

We’d managed to forge and truce between die-hard crag-swaggers and those opposed.

We managed to unite the houses of Yorkshire (no_more_scotch_eggs) and Lancashire (The Walrus) in common agreement. A remarkable achievement in any circumstance. Historic, in fact.

And shirleynot has (practically) asked me out on a date.

So don’t go blundering in like The Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man in the interests of having the last word! After all, if there's one thing that we all learned from Ghostbusters, it's that a backpack-sized particle accelerator will, quite literally, turn marshmallow into vapour!

I can assure you that I don’t agree to the rules of crag swagging…but I also don’t really care.

The reason I posted in the first place was, as Zero G are no longer with us, I’ll have to buy a whole new set of nuts, rather than just the one, in order to get my rack back to the way I like it….and that’ll cost rather more than the oft quoted ‘few quid’.

And,the reason I posted in ‘rock talk’ rather than ‘lost and found’ is nothing to do with ‘tacit’ agreement, it’s because (prior to this bloody thread going nuclear) I’m not a regular on this forum and I didn’t see the lost and found tab when trying to work-out where best to put my post. Honestly! You'll just have to take my word for it...afterall, it's my brain we're talking about! I would add that some of the responses I subsequently received are the reason why I won’t ever be a regular on UKC.

Back to the nut. At risk of sounding disloyal to a faithful and purple friend of mine:

If you find it, keep it. That’s your call and I really, really won’t think any less of you for doing so.

If you, or anyone else, manages to extract it from the crack and return it to me, that’s great too. You will be handsomely compensated for you generosity and will receive further reward in heaven.

If you get embarrassed when you leave kit behind, that’s up to you…but I really wouldn’t lose sleep over something as inevitable as night following day.

If you think abandoning gear is a sign of incompatence or ineptitude, again, that's your call. At the end of the day, unless you're Gaz Parry or one of the other greats, there's always going to be someone out there better than you...in who's eyes your best efforts may well resemble the blunderings of a blithering baffoon.

If you’re staunchly pro-crag-swagging, good for you. I get the strong impression that crag-swaggers are also strongly in favour of the other unwritten laws and ethics that make climbers such a great bunch and climbing such a fine sport.

If you’re an anti, that’s fine too.

Really, I don’t care all that much. And I certainly don’t care enough to write an endless, rambling response to you post.

Doh.
Post edited at 11:55
 Offwidth 26 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
I just wanted to be clear that my ribbing is never intended to look down on anyone. Normally it is looking up if anything ( I've ribbed some of the best) but it is about funny mishaps we all make and love of climbing and laughter.

Walrus is an odd guy ( he's nothing like any of the numerous Lancastrians I've ever climbed with other than being argumentative so the idea he represents the climbing attitudes of that county is a bit bonkers...so must be a rhetorical joke) and I thinks he's misunderstanding the thread going nowhere much anymore (maybe agreeing to disagree) for some kind of mutual agreed resolution: I'll respond the same again someone sticks a similar thread up. I also still don't get the worry about the piece in question combined with the ease of scrambling-soloing up and getting it after finishing the descent (with oscillations in thread about really how bothered he is); and am I the only one to have climbed for years with a mismatched racks of nuts?

Yet he has clearly 'arrived' here and it's mean not to say hi
Post edited at 12:52
 FreshSlate 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> I just wanted to be clear that my ribbing is never intended to look down on anyone. Normally it is looking up if anything ( I've ribbed some of the best) but it is about funny mishaps we all make and love of climbing and laughter.

Maybe looking down wasn't the right way to put it, no ones that really arsed to be frowning. Yeah, usuall

> Walrus is an odd guy ( he's nothing like any of the numerous Lancastrians I've ever climbed with other than being argumentative so the idea he represents the climbing attitudes of that county is a bit bonkers...so must be a rhetorical joke) and I thinks he's misunderstanding the thread going nowhere much anymore (maybe agreeing to disagree) for some kind of mutual agreed resolution: I'll respond the same again someone sticks a similar thread up. I also still don't get the worry about the piece in question combined with the ease of scrambling-soloing up and getting it after finishing the descent (with oscillations in thread about really how bothered he is); and am I the only one to have climbed for years with a mismatched racks of nuts?

> Yet he has clearly 'arrived' here and it's mean not to say hi

FreshSlate 26 Jan 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Well that messed up.

Those edit times not quite long enough for me to eat!

@offwidth. Basically just agree with you.

@ Walrus, have you ever found unattended swag?
 Thirdi 26 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

> Are you flirting with me, shirleynot? I can usually tell.

> I must warn you that I'm pretty disappointing in real life.

Aw don't put yourself down

For a laugh I asked a friend who's a QC his thoughts on the abandoned nut scenario. His immediate reaction was it was abandoned property because the owner decided to leave it in the rock.

I also asked about the scenario where gear was left behind because someone got hurt and it was more important to deal with the emergency situation. His first reaction was it probably didn't count as abandoned property.

So it looks like the law (at least in Scotland) is pretty much in line with common sense.

FreshSlate 26 Jan 2014

Cheers for that response. Common sense indeed.
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2014

> For a laugh I asked a friend who's a QC his thoughts on the abandoned nut scenario. His immediate reaction was it was abandoned property because the owner decided to leave it in the rock.

> So it looks like the law (at least in Scotland) is pretty much in line with common sense.

Good. I'll sleep a bit easier tonight.

But I'd like to know how Walrus gets on with Shirleynot. And I can honestly say that I hope that, in the circumstances, he gets his nut back.

And what happened to that survey?
 off-duty 26 Jan 2014

> For a laugh I asked a friend who's a QC his thoughts on the abandoned nut scenario. His immediate reaction was it was abandoned property because the owner decided to leave it in the rock.

> I also asked about the scenario where gear was left behind because someone got hurt and it was more important to deal with the emergency situation. His first reaction was it probably didn't count as abandoned property.

> So it looks like the law (at least in Scotland) is pretty much in line with common sense.

But arguably wrong eg - distinctively /identifiable marked gear, in a specific identifiable location, with reasonable means of making enquiries as to the owner...
Could be worth a run at court...

Bear in mind, you might never find that the gear was left as a result of accident unless you make enquiries about the recovered item...
 Thirdi 26 Jan 2014

A QC, you will get a bill for £ 350, for that advice. ;-}
 Jim Hamilton 27 Jan 2014
> (In reply to tom_in_edinburgh)

>
> And what happened to that survey?

THE.WALRUS by more than a whisker - 34 to 21 votes
 Mike Stretford 27 Jan 2014
This thread needs a soundtrack... I nominate 'Windmills of your mind'.
 JamButty 27 Jan 2014
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

soooooooo.....did you get the nut back?
 Robert Durran 27 Jan 2014

> THE.WALRUS by more than a whisker - 34 to 21 votes

A bit disappointing, though, as I said, clearly prone to sample bias either way, and I wonder how many people were judging the particular instance in this thread given the Walrus' wording in the OP, rather than giving a view on the general swag principle. Anyway, the swag convention is clearly very much still alive judging by this thread and the other swag stories thread and certainly worth fighting for still. Also,if a proportrion of the climbing population upholds the swag tradition while another does all this faff of trying to return nuts etc. to their previous owner and both play their respective games fairly, everyone will still, in the long run, break even.

probably the former, i'd have thought. i'd reckon most people would think there was enough flexibility in the crag swag principle to allow for requests for items which the person feels have some special significance

but also, as i said the other day, i think the readiness of proponents of the principle to pass less than flattering remarks about people in such circumstances may have cost some support.

its not just the argument, its the way you make it...

cheers
gregor

Robert Durran 27 Jan 2014
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> probably the former, i'd have thought. i'd reckon most people would think there was enough flexibility in the crag swag principle to allow for requests for items which the person feels have some special significance.

Agree

> but also, as i said the other day, i think the readiness of proponents of the principle to pass less than flattering remarks about people in such circumstances may have cost some support.

Yes, but I think that calling muppet when someone whinges for the return of a random stuck nut is a harmless and balanced piss take in the circumstances
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to r0x0r.wolfo)
>
> Jeepers. Did you truly think I meant that?

He probably did.
 Offwidth 28 Jan 2014

I wouldnt worry: who'd want to vote frim those who broadly accept the staus quo unless ( I didnt for instance) .I'm amazed it was as close, gives me a warm feeling like votes on public websites against hanging.
 malky_c 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Some votes count more than others, and when you count the votes that weren't even made, it starts to get confusing!
 Offwidth 28 Jan 2014
In reply to malky_c:

Votes with small numbers have very high uncertainty. Hence the result was completely meaningless fun and worse still in this case one side would feel more compelled to vote than the other given the question. Words on ballots are important, ask the scots.
 malky_c 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

That's what the losers always say I suppose you could lobby the SNP to get this little debate added as a second question on the referendum ballot? Might give you a larger sample!
In reply to Offwidth:

"Votes with small numbers have very high uncertainty. Hence the result was completely meaningless..."

Unless they support your positon?
 Offwidth 28 Jan 2014
In reply to malky_c:

Well as I don't broadly agree with either of them, losing is a strange concept for my stated position.

This is some more detail what I mean about a problemtic question:
Was WALRUS right to post? of course its a free contry
Was Robert right to critique the post? of course its a free country.
Whats would the average climber do do if put in their situation: probably the exact opposite in both cases, ie not post.

Sampling maths, unlike much argument, here is based on unquestionable truth and the results are insignificant.
 malky_c 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

That's what the losers always say

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...