UKC

Costs of adding extra down to a sleeping bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewm1000 21 Jan 2014
Another thread prompted me to ask this. I have a good down sleeping bag (Rab) that i use a few times a year in cold temps. Its around ten years old (Summit 700) but great condition. It could do with some extra down at the foot end. How much does adding down cost? Grateful for rough costs if you've added down to your bag. 20 pounds, 50 pounds? How are prices quoted, per 100g additional down plus labour? cheers.
 Doug 21 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewm1000:

I had a down bag cleaned with some damaged down replaced by Mountaineering Designs - sure they would give you a quote (http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk/ )
 Denzil 21 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewm1000:
If you've never had it professionally cleaned, I'd do that to start with. Can make a huge improvement to the loft and warmth.
 David Bennett 21 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewm1000:
I got some down from Mountaineering Designs and did it myself. Simple to do but you need a set of jewlers scales to measure the amount you put in each baffle and a very draft free location to do the work.
 Mountain Llama 21 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewm1000:
2nd Denzils comments re washing.

U cud try phd for a quote got more down
Post edited at 19:19
OP andrewm1000 22 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewm1000: many thanks for all comments. Washing seems a good idea. I've never washed the bag in 10 years. I'll check quotes for adding down if there's still a need to - don't fancy trying to add down myself though. regards
 Prof. Outdoors 22 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewm1000:

I have a 20+ year old Rab Ladakh 800. Was never too impressed by its warmth. I had it cleaned by Rab themselves. It is now probably too warm for me to use!

Contact Rab to see how much they would charge as they repaired some of the baffles as well. Excellent prompt service.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...