UKC

Mammut Genesis 8.5 x 60m dry treated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 23 Jan 2014
How do folk rate them for the following:

- Alpine climbing, mountaineering and glacier travel
- Scottish winter
- British rock multipitch

Cheers,

Ad
 alooker 23 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Used mine for all of those, but in Wales/lakes not Scotland. No complaints, hardy ropes and abseils easy with 60/30m. Slick with an old style atc
OP AdCo82 23 Jan 2014
In reply to alooker:

Thanks, should have said not just Scottish winter but UK winter.

In what form did you use them in the alps? Climbing or mountaineering?
 alooker 23 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Cragging, pitching, moving together, lugging it around. That kind of thing.
 Si dH 25 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Used them for everything for years, had 3 pairs. You can get lighter now but they are good.
OP AdCo82 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Si dH:

So how did you find using one on it's own for glacier travel and easy alpine routes?
 Si dH 25 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Fine.
 pec 26 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

I've been using a pair of them for everything for well over 10 years now (not the same pair!). Very happy with them, handle well etc but like all ropes, the dry treatment does wear off. I tried reproofing one once with some Nikwax stuff. It did work but didn't last as long as the original treatment.
I've considered dropping to 8mm's to save weight but they just feel too skinny. Too slick in belay plates and too thin when there are sharp edges about. I know others wouldn't worry about these things but you have to feel confidence in your ropes.
 Jasonic 27 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Great ropes.. for Scottish winter Pheonix are probably better as lighter for walk ins.
For glacier travel, Uk multipitch also good.
 Up High 30 Jan 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

The problem with them is when you go in the hut drying room its full of them just have to know which pair are yours.....
Now that's a clue as to how good they are.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...