UKC

What do you wear when instructing at the wall/crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr G 24 Jan 2014
So thinking about some approach shoes to be worn when instructing climbing at the wall/crag.

Looking at Scarpa Crux or La Sportiva Boulder X or Boreal Flyer ???

Does anyone wear the above? Good/Bad points? Are there others you would highly recommend?

Cheers, G
 pec 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:

Is footwear not covered by the SPA syllabus?
 SteveoS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:

Sandals, the footwear of the Sherpa?
 MischaHY 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:

Mammut Redburn GTX do the job for me. Goretex lining is a godsend when approaching if grass etc is damp, and the precision is good when climbing. I've climbed E2 in mine, so they're not shabby!
 Robert Durran 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:
Have the clever marketing people persuaded you that approach shoes are now deemed necessary to approach an indoor climbing wall?
Post edited at 20:48
In reply to Mr G:
Holy shit. Trainers? Flipflops? Whatever - why does it matter if they're not expensive approach shoes?!
Post edited at 20:50
 martinph78 24 Jan 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I was going to say "trainers" but thought the UKC masses would shoot me down in flames...

Timmd 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:
I don't instruct, but I've found the more lugged/rugged sole on approach shoes or 'outdoor trainers' to be more grippy than on normal trainer soles, so it's not all marketing.

Not that trainers can't be fine, obviously...
Post edited at 00:46
 deepstar 25 Jan 2014
 Aigen 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:

Five Ten Camp Four. I am on my 3rd pair in 10 years.
 1poundSOCKS 25 Jan 2014
It does depend a bit on where you're going to be. You can obviously approach Stanage in anything, but I've given up on wearing my cheap trainers for any approach that involves a bit of a scramble (or descent for that matter), the rubber is terrible on rock and I've had a few wobbly moments and I struggle to trust my feet now. I also tried to rig an abseil at the top of the Verdon Gorge in flip flops and went flat on my arse, right next to a 200 metre drop. Maybe I'm clumsy , but approach shoe rubber is why I use approach shoes.
Post edited at 12:17

> why does it matter if they're not expensive approach shoes?!

If you're instructing, it's important to 'look the part'.

Quite what that part would be, I wouldn't like to say...
 Robert Durran 27 Jan 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> If you're instructing, it's important to 'look the part'.

Of course that is the message the marketing people want to infect us with.

Quite the opposite in my opinion. Why give beginners the impression that expensive fancy gear is needed when it isn't?
 jfmchivall 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:

£15 Decathlon trainers. If I'm outdoors then £30 Decathlon trainers with a waterproof liner. The red/black colour scheme also matches my work uniform which is a bonus.

I approached, climbed and walked out from several Scottish mountain routes in the last pair of £15 Decathlon trainers, so I reckon they'll do for standing around at the wall watching teenagers belay and signing off NICAS logbooks.
 Simon4 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr G:

These should be excellent, the high heels will serve as crampons to approach routes when you are instructing novices in ice climbing, while wearing them to the wall will distract clients from any nervousness they feel about heights :

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Shoes/416,default,sc.html?cm_mmc=Google+Adwo...

Good troll, you got them to bite.
 Timmd 27 Jan 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Quite what that part would be, I wouldn't like to say...

Hark at you! ()

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...