UKC

Wiggys vs North Face vs Mountain Hardwear -30C Sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all,

Another cold weather gear question. Trying to figure out which sleeping bag to take to Siberia. It might drop to -30C and I want something decent. I also want it synthetic for a variety of reasons. I have narrowed it down to a rough 3 - MH Lamina -30, North Face Dark Star -40, and now I'm looking at some Wiggys gear.

After reading this blog on Wiggy's website (http://wiggys.com/legacy/jan13.cfm ) it certainly put me off Lamina bags, despite their good reputation. The Dark Star looks good and I was almost about to buy it but is this Wiggy's stuff any good? It looks like the usual small company, well made gear but is it as special as their hype makes it out to be? They say if the bag loses ANY loft in the lifetime of the product they will replace your bag. Considering the fragility of many synthetics it sounds tempting, though I'm not sure if I buy it, but perhaps some of you have tried their stuff?

Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated!

dutybooty 25 Jan 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Lamina bags are generally thought of very highly.

Wiggys are supposed to be even better BUT very very heavy.

North face I know nothing about.
 TobyA 25 Jan 2014

> I also want it synthetic for a variety of reasons.

Interesting - why exactly?
 Stash 25 Jan 2014

having worked in outdoor retail for about ten years now and having sold lots of sleeping bags I have never had a customer to my memory return a MH bag complaining about quality.
Same with North face.

Wiggy's sound pretty good but Ive never seen one in the flesh but I bet they do what they are supposed to.
 SeanFda 26 Jan 2014
Why do you want it synthetic??

Wiggys are not that good, and are heavy. Half way up Denali ten years ago (summer) I wasn't exactly grateful for his no-quibble guarantee when the zip and seam split.

I've met Jerry, and he bangs on about filament construction, polymer bonding, and molecular structures like he's trying to convert me. It's a product thats trying to duplicate down. Buy a down bag. Buy a PHD.

Lamina's are great bags, especially for the money. Want a better bag, pay more money.

North face bags for serious conditions are not what they once were. Buy a Mammut (Ajungilak) if you want a top-end synthetic.

Why do you want synthetic?
Post edited at 20:53
In reply to SeanFda:

> Wiggys are not that good, and are heavy. Half way up Denali ten years ago (summer) I wasn't exactly grateful for his no-quibble guarantee when the zip and seam split.

> Buy a Mammut (Ajungilak) if you want a top-end synthetic.

> Why do you want synthetic?

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm looking for synthetic mainly for ethical reasons, but some practical as well. Not really looking to debate that here so I didn't mention it.

I have been looking at the Ajungilak bags. They do a Denali 5 season but was put off as it weighs a whopping 3650g and only comes in 200cm.

They do a slightly less full on bag http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mammut-Tyin-EXP-5-Season.html but at -25(LCL) I feel like it wouldn't be enough..?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...