UKC

private instruction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello.

I had my third dryslope lesson today and the instructor said I should go for private instruction instead of ski school.

Is this a good idea?

Will I learn more in a weeks private instruction?

How do I go about arranging private instruction?

Bye

Savvas
 hang_about 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

You might want to ask him why. I found that small groups were a lot of fun providing you had a good instructor. I did a couple of one-on- one sessions later when I considered myself a reasonable intermediate to help with some specific issues e.g. bump skiing. It costs a lot more to have private coaching and I'd hardly think it worth the money for the first few trips. You also miss out on the social aspect which is not to be under estimated. It is a lot of fun learning to ski, just as much fun as blasting down a slope when you get better. Enjoy the journey......

Which resort are you going to? I can advise on the local ski schools. The max numbers in a group is what you want to look at, and if it's a busy week. Some ESF groups will have over 12 during the busy weeks. My school have max 6 at any time, and during quiet weeks, usually only 3 in the group.
In reply to hang_about:

Hello hang about.

He told me why.

He said I do not think I will cope in a ski school environment.

He also told me I am not ready for touring yet.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Terry James Walker:

Hello Terry.

I am going to Borovets in Bulgaria.

I would like your advice on ski schools there.

Bye

Savvas
 hang_about 28 Jan 2014

A smaller group with a good English speaking instructor as suggested above sounds the business. Much better than many esf groups ( although they have improved). I think it's a given that you won't be touring until you are comfortable on all snow types under varied conditions. Don't be in a hurry. A steep blue will be plenty enough adrenaline for the first few days!
In reply to hang_about:

Hello.

I am not thinking of touring at the moment until I am comfortable on all snow types and I have done plenty of hillwalking along with winter walking and winter climbing next season.

Thanks for the advice.

Bye

Savvas

Mike-W-99 28 Jan 2014

Private lessons may be eye wateringly expensive.... If you are going on a package holiday the tour operator will probably assist. I dont know anything about Bulgaria.

Groups can be good or bad. If you end up with folk at your level it can actually be beneficial to learn from others mistakes and it can be a good social experience. I had a great week in Courcheval learning to snowboard in a small ESF group.

However be the worst or the best in a group and it can be a frustrating experience. The year before I was worst in the group as the company misjudged my experience so dont over egg what you can do.
 liz j 28 Jan 2014

I think it depends on what you want to get out of your holiday. If you want to go and have fun socially, meet new people who you can ski with when you aren't having lessons, and have a few drinks at happy hour, then you are better off going with a group. If you have private tuition, you will probably learn a bit more, but it will be intense and if you are going on the trip on your own, you probably will find skiing alone outside of lesson time rather lonely.

If you had group lessons this time, you could always have private lessons on your second trip, and being a little more competent, you will probably find other people to ski with then.
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Hello Mike.

Thanks for the advice.

I am going with Neilson and I have asked them if it is possible to put me in a ski school where there are no more than three people per group.

Do you think Neilson can arrange private tuition?

What do you mean by egg?

Bye

Savvas
In reply to liz j:

Hello Liz.

I do not drink alcohol and I have family in Bulgaria who will come and see me.

I asked Neilson to see if they can put me in a school with small groups.

I do not mind either way but the social aspect of ski school sound a lot more fun.

I think the instructor was worried about me because when I fall over I cannot seem to get up without his help - maybe due to the cappuccino I had with my lunch.

The same goes for putting the skis on - I think the caffeine might have effected my balance.

Your idea sounds great.

Thanks for all the advice.

Savvas

eltankos 29 Jan 2014

Hi Savvas,
I went to Bansko in Bulgaria with Crystal and had a couple of days lessons with an intermediate group for snowboarding. It was pretty good, the instructor was a good guy with great English and worked on all our individual strengths/weaknesses, was quite fun riding with the other group and bumping into them later in the week.
A couple of my friends went for the ski lessons, they seemed to get put on the beginner slope first so they could be put into groups of roughly the same skill level.
I'm sure if you get group lessons you'll have fun.
 deacondeacon 29 Jan 2014

Hey savvas. How are you getting on with lessons? If you're honest with yourself and feel as though you may not be progressing as well as the rest of the group, then private tuition could well be the right route.
Was he recommending private lessons at christs college or waiting until you get to Bulgaria?

Am I right in thinking that the reason you're learning to ski is to help with alpine climbing?
If so it won't be the be all and end all if you don't get the hang of it.
Many, many climbers will have fulfilling alpine careers without going anywhere near a pair of skis.

Deacon
 kathrync 29 Jan 2014

I would agree that small group lessons are fine, especially if you are fairly new to skiing (as someone else said, I left the private lessons until I had been skiing for 4 or 5 years and was looking to solve particular problems like skiing bumps - then I only did one in a week, as they are expensive) and the social aspect of group lessons is great.

You will probably find that Neilson have an arrangement with one specific ski school and send all their clients there. They will be able to arrange group or private lessons for you with that school, but probably won't send you elsewhere.

If you want very small groups, it might be worth searching on the web for the ski schools in your resort and find one that offers what you are looking for (i.e. guaranteed small group sizes). You can then book with them for yourself before you go. Most ski schools do seem to be much of a muchness for beginner/early stage group lessons though.

With most group lessons that aren't for absolute beginners, they will often make you do a run or two of the nursery slope so they can assess you and then split you into smaller groups by ability - if you are right at the top or bottom of your group, you might find yourself moved to another group that fits your abilities better later in the week.

I can't offer any specific recommendations for your resort in Bulgaria though.
In reply to eltankos:

Hello.

You have had a great time in Bansko.

I have heard from Neilson they cannot guarantee the group size - they told me that there will be no more than 10 people per group.

I hope I can cope with a ski school group.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to deacondeacon:
Hey Deacon.

I an making good progress with the lessons.

The lessons I am having are on a 1:1 basis.

He was recommending them for Bulgaria.

You are partly right if you climb in the Alps in Winter you will probably be doing the approaches on skis....

My cousin's wife recommended skiing to me - as I had done part of a Winter Skills course at Glenmore Lodge a few years ago.

Also to be a mountain guide you need to be able to ski, ski off piste and ski tour.

Skiing is also a great cardio sport - both aerobic and anerobic.

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 19:48
In reply to kathrync:
Hello Kath.

Neilson cannot guarantee small groups - they told me groups no larger than 10.

Thanks for your advice.

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 19:50
 liz j 29 Jan 2014
Forget the Mountain Guide/ski-touring/winter skills and skiing for alpine climbing and just go and enjoy your first ski trip!! Don't get too technical about it all or you will just end up feeling deflated if you don't progress as quickly as you want. Go and enjoy the scenery, the new friends you'll make and even falling over!
Post edited at 22:07
In reply to liz j:

Hello Liz.

Thanks.

I have heard from Neilson....

They cannot guarantee me a small group but they told me that the groups have a maximum of ten people in them.

Do you think I should risk a large group?

Bye

Savvas
 liz j 29 Jan 2014

What do you have to lose? Just go and have fun!!
 Morgan Woods 29 Jan 2014

Yes, i mean no, i mean who cares. Everybody started somewhere so JFDI.
In reply to liz j:

What about safety?

In reply to Morgan Woods:

Hello Morgan,

What does JFDI mean?

Bye

Savvas
 liz j 30 Jan 2014

> What about safety?

You mean being in a group as apposed to a private lesson? The slopes will be full of skiers, it won't make a difference whether your instruction is aimed at just you or the rest of the group. Infact, I would say that a group under instruction is usually clearer to see than an individual, and most other skiers will give a wider berth. The instructor is not going to lose you. You will be fine.
 liz j 30 Jan 2014

JFDI - just f*cking do it!!
 kathrync 30 Jan 2014

> What about safety?

When Liz said "What do you have to lose? Just go and have fun!!", I don't think she meant just go off on your own. I think she meant that at this point in your skiing career, it won't make a huge amount of difference what lessons you have, so just go, have the standard group lessons from Neilson and enjoy them for what they are.

Whatever you do at this point, you will come back better than you went, but you'll enjoy the process more if you stop worrying about becoming the world's best skier tomorrow and have some fun learning instead.
 liz j 30 Jan 2014
In reply to kathrync:

Yep, that's exactly what I meant!!
 tim000 30 Jan 2014

or go snowboarding and have some real fun
 liz j 30 Jan 2014
In reply to tim000:

Well, I wasn't going to admit to being a boarder, but agree wholeheartedly!!
 eltankos 30 Jan 2014
In reply to tim000:

Amen to that!
In reply to kathrync:

Hi Kath.

I was not worrying about being the worlds best skier.

I just was talking about what the instructor said at The DrySlope.

I will most probably end up having Thje Neilson standard group lessons.

Bye

Savvas
Post edited at 00:03
In reply to tim000:
Hello Tim.

I might give snowboarding a go next year.

Post edited at 23:53
In reply to liz j:

Hello Liz.

Why snowboarding instead of skiing?

Edradour 31 Jan 2014

Jesus man, so many questions about all of this. Learning to ski properly takes time, others have told you this so just go and get time on snow, preferably whilst having lessons in whatever form you want / can afford, all will have their pros and cons.

As an aside, dryslope skiing is not even close to real skiing.

Skiing vs snowboarding? How long have you got?

I really think you need to relax about this whole process.
In reply to Edradour:

Dude.

I am pretty relaxed and chilled out about it.

The Skiing vs snowboarding thing...

I have plenty of time to chat about it.

I am really looking forward to it now.

Bye

Savvas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...