UKC

Shipping Equipment back from New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Swampi 30 Jan 2014
Hey everyone,

My misses and I are about to make our way back to the UK after living in NZ for the last year and a half. We need to ship all our mountaineering equipment back (approximately 30kg in a 120L expedition bag), but we are struggling to find any cheap deals.

Most places seem to only do expensive air freight that takes about a week, as we are willing to have it take a couple of months on the presumably cheaper sea freight. Anyone now any places in New Zealand that can do this later option?

We are heading back via Adelaide in Australia, so we're considering flying over to there with our gear and shipping it if that's cheaper. Anyone know if it is?

Any advice would be appreciated...
 Tom Last 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Swampi:

I just posted mine, although it would have weighed less than that.

It all arrived safely and before I returned six weeks later, was quite cheap from memory.

I posted pair of axes, rack, boots, crampons, rope, bits and bobs.

HTH.
Swampi 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Can you remember which company that was with? Cheers.
 Tom Last 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Swampi:

Hi Swampi.

I did it from the post office, I don't remember being given a choice of courier beyond that - just packaged it all up and paid the dues.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Tom
 1poundSOCKS 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Swampi: I sent 15kg back using the Post Office. It was expensive and a bit problematic. Due to the value ($3000NZ) they said I would need to contact the British Consulate to ensure it got through okay. In the end I shipped from a chemist in Christchurch (but still using the Post Office service). They asked no questions, but it nearly went wrong and the lady at the chemist went to great lengths for NZ customs to let my gear go. I only found out because I called back in again. I was also advised to write a large note to attach to the packet to state that it was climbing kit and should not be sprayed (something to do with bio contamination).

dti 30 Jan 2014
I have just moved back from NZ - we shipped quite a lot of stuff (including ski's, climbing gear, loads of personal possessions etc.). We used http://www.packsend.co.nz they were very friendly and the most sensibly priced (in ChCh). Did take about 3 months to arrive (sea freight).
Removed User 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Swampi:

I've used sea freight using http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/
 steev 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Swampi:

We used NZ movers, but we had bikes, skis, etc. It wasn't cheap.

maria85 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Swampi:

My boyfriend's just in the process of shipping stuff the other way (UK to NZ) and said he'd found a great deal for around 80kg's worth of stuff, I'll fund out the company and whether they ship NZ->UK and let you know.
Swampi 03 Feb 2014
Thanks everyone! We're looking into all these options now. Mucho appreciated...
 Adam Hughes 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Swampi:

I posted my climbing gear and excess baggage in Melbourne this week.

I used pack and send, 34kgs-$400 and it was air mail as it worked out cheaper by air!
Package is also insured and will be delivered to the door in 3 weeks

Adam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...