UKC

Keeping your feet warm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 02 Feb 2014
I had an awesome run round the Dales today but struggled with seriously cold feet for about an hour of the route. I'm used to wet feet and don't care about thatbut when you're running through bog water that's about 1 degree for a couple of miles it gets a bit numbing... Has anyone got any tips on this or is another case of "it's fell running- man up". I was wearing Inov8s that aren't too tight and thick woollen hiking socks. I guess socks that dry quicker might help once I'm out the bog, but in the bog itself is there a way to keep warm? Waterproof socks...?

My other top tip would be to remember some spare socks for when you finish - I didn't, so the pain continued until I got home...
 The Potato 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I use Army MVP socks from ebay, they are calf length so stop lots of water getting inside through most deep water.
Cheaper than sealskinz and probably work just as well.
 Banned User 77 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

seal skinz.. they dont keep your feet dry but work like a wet suit when they get wet...

But basically you are spending hours in slush..
 blackcat 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller: Hi i dont want to sound blunt but first lesson i learnt in the outdoors game is wet hands cold hands and same with the feet,i dont fell run but have done hill runs in winter to get fit and have always used lightweight hiking boots with goretex liner and a pair of gaitors,having said that maybe just sticking to footpaths avoiding bogs.
OP Mr Fuller 02 Feb 2014
In reply to blackcat:
Yeah, you're right about the cold/wet thing but you'll seriously struggle to keep dry feet while fell running at the moment...

Cheers Iain, Ow arm, I'll have a look at the Sealskins or equivalents. Iain, do the Sealskins feel a bit weird on your feet? Some of my mates have got the gloves and I'd not sure I'd want something quite that harsh-feeling on my feet?
Post edited at 20:06
 mbh 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Yet another tip for those very wet and cold days is to keep a pair of old trainers in your car so that you have some dry shoes for those dry and warm spare socks you remembered to take.
OP Mr Fuller 02 Feb 2014
In reply to mbh:

Yeah, that's the trouble with running from public transport... I have previously left trainers in bushes with spare trousers, etc. and might have to start doing that again.
 yorkshireman 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I just ordered a pair of these and have used them a few times in the deep snow we have this time of year.

http://www.amazon.fr/SealSkinz-Ankle-Length-Black-39-42/dp/B005KJD9RW/ref=s...

They're Merino lined so don't feel 'weird' or anything and you forget that they're anything other than warm socks.

Not cheap, but today I ran a 10km snow trail at a nearby ski resort and didn't have them with me and was seriously regretting it. Very cold and wet=very miserable. Good kit is a good investment.
 Banned User 77 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

No they feel fine, but you'll probably need to go up half a size shoe wise or have roomy trainers anyway.
OP Mr Fuller 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Cool, thanks. More socks for me collection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...