UKC

Newbie looking for help and advice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fi_merc 05 Feb 2014
POSTED WITH PERMISSION OF UKC

Dear all climbers,

I'm a fourth year psychology student who is currently completing her dissertation which is based upon the impact of sport on an individuals personality characteristics. Although I am reaching out to you climbers, I am also interested in people who do no sports so feel free to share the questionnaire with family and friends once you have completed it! The dissertation is a questionnaire which takes around ten minutes to complete, can be completed on a computer or a smartphone and is fully anonymous.

https://hass.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8626EJ79KZkXadf

There is the link above! Please take part in my research !

Fi_Merc
 Droyd 05 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:
Just to point out, the little progress bar at the bottom in no way indicates how far through you are - I looked at it, saw it was around a quarter of the way along, considered bailing and then clicked next, only to discover that I'd finished!
Could be worth removing that, if it's at all possible.

Edit: Slightly misleading topic name though...
Post edited at 23:40
fi_merc 06 Feb 2014
In reply to DBoothroyd:

I have taken this progress bar away now, thanks for the advice! I didn't realise it was so misleading!

Thank you for completing the survey and for helping me improve it too !
Donnie 06 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

Could you define extreme sports? I climb but in a very unextreme manner

sianabanana 06 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

I have found most of the questions in the s section (the a or b questions) have no logical answer for me.

A good example - q19
Please pick which option describes you best
I would like to take off on a trip with no preplanned or definite routes, or timetable
When I go on a trip I like to plan my route and timetable fairly carefully

Well, i could answer both, - when i go on a trip, i do like to plan my route and timetable carefully, but would i like to take off on a trip with no preplanned or definate routes or time table - yes. So what do i choose, what i do, or what i would like?

Many of the questions are like this, asking two things in the same question, therefore leading to none or both of the answers being the correct answer.
 Philo22 06 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

Done
 TomBaker 06 Feb 2014
In reply to sianabanana:

Each of the items below contains two choices, A and B. Please chose the letter of the choice which most describes your likes or the way you feel. In some cases you may find items in which both choices describe your likes or feelings. Please choose the one which better describes your likes or feelings. In some cases you may find items in which you do not like either choice. In these cases mark the choice you dislike least. Do not leave any items blank.
 TomBaker 06 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

done
 tlm 09 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

It's hard to say how hard some of the things are, eg:

Mountain climbing: Ben lomond in summmer, very low physical risk, A new route on K2, extreme physical risk.

Eating fatty foods: eating a mackeral, very low physical risk, Eating deep fried marsbars 4 times a day, extreme physical risk.

So I just ticked the middle box.
 tlm 09 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

Also - a lot of the questions assume a distinct lack of experience! I would think most people are already friends with someone who is gay or a lesbian? Many people already do a lot of the A or B questions?
 Jon Stewart 09 Feb 2014
In reply to sianabanana:

I don't think the OP drafted those questions, I've answered them before and I think they're from a well-used psychological 'toolkit' identifying thrill-seekers and various other personality traits.

In reply to fi_merc:

Interested to see you conclusions from this when it's complete. I think my answers for a 'skilled extreme sportist' will show: high self-efficacy, low self-esteem, high thrill-seeking. Probably not the most usual combination, sorry to muck up the correlation!
alanlgm 10 Feb 2014
In reply to fi_merc:

Hi

I just completed the survey and found that alot of the questions were would you do something or would you never do it.
for alot of the questions my answer was I have done it and whilst i dont actively do the activities now the 3rd option maybe could have been there.

although not sure how you would factor that into your results.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...