UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Honnold's Hardest Big Wall Solo - Gripping!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Feb 2014
Alex Honold Mexico Solo, 3 kbBack in January we reported on Alex Honnold's mind-blowing solo of the 15 pitch/500m El Sendero Luminoso at Potrero Chico, Mexico.

Here is some slo-mo footage of Alex on pitch 7 from REEL ROCK.... gripping..!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68700

In reply to UKC News:

Oddly annoying in slow motion; gives no idea of how hard he's finding it.

Let's hope the full film is shot sensibly (assuming it's desirable to have it shot at all, but that's another question).

jcm
 Ban1 07 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

amazing footage . still kinda ironic that new England rope sponsor a soloist
 mav 07 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

disappointing to see such a high profile climber not wearing a helmet. A poor example to set.

deepsoup 07 Feb 2014
In reply to mav:
<like>
Clauso 07 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

What has he done on grit?
In reply to UKC News:

That EXPOSURE. F*cking hell. I think I'd struggle to keep my head even with a rope.
 MikeTS 07 Feb 2014
In reply to mav:

> disappointing to see such a high profile climber not wearing a helmet. A poor example to set.

>

If something goes wrong, what exactly is a helmet going to do to help him?
 Gazlynn 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Clauso:

> What has he done on grit?

quite a bit actually

cheers

gaz
 cb_6 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Not ironic at all. He climbs on ropes all the time.
 Enty 07 Feb 2014
In reply to MikeTS:

> If something goes wrong, what exactly is a helmet going to do to help him?

oh dear

E
 Simon Rackley 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

haha
 Sir Chasm 07 Feb 2014
In reply to cb_6:

> Not ironic at all. He climbs on ropes all the time.

Well, not all the time.
 cb_6 07 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Ok, 'on a regular basis' would have been a better phrase
 simon cox 07 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Whilst clearly an awesome solo I think this video teaser is err just a tease... within a couple of seconds you grasp that the situation is totally gripping but them err nothing happens... rather frustrating and it doesn't make me think jeez I have got to see the full film, quite the reverse.
 Michael Gordon 07 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Why is it shot upside down? It's clearly a slab so why try and make it look steeper?
 Ban1 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

yep top roping that's why his famous lol
 aln 07 Feb 2014
In reply to MikeTS:

> If something goes wrong, what exactly is a helmet going to do to help him?

Whooooooooooooosh....
 progrupicola 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

He should have bring some draws, if only for giving a clue about steepness also, growing some dreadlocks would do, but then it would be tougher to keep a cool mind º_0

No joke, what this guy is doing it's mind-blowing, my utmost respect for his unearthly skills.
curlyben 08 Feb 2014

I would guess its shot that way to show he is a fair few pitches up off the ground. Not climbed it but looks to be on the vertical and technical face climbing at that.
curlyben 08 Feb 2014

Eleven pitches at 5.12 and above solo... he doesnt need to make it 'seem' steeper.
 TobyA 08 Feb 2014
In reply to progrupicola:

> He should have bring some draws, if only for giving a clue about steepness

He said one of the reasons he did it was that overall it isn't very steep - less than vertical on the whole IIRC.
 Michael Gordon 08 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, it's obvious when he has to transfer weight when moving right.
 Michael Gordon 08 Feb 2014
In reply to curlyben:

Filming it the right way up would still show he's a bloody long way up!
 johncook 08 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant climbing, lousy film teaser!
 Si dH 08 Feb 2014

I agree the orientation is annoying, I wanted to turn my head around the whole time. Don't think it's to make look steeper though. And if anything a 5.12 slab solo is even more impressive than a vertical wall would be...talk about tenuous.

Wouldn't want to be the cameraman.
 progrupicola 08 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Just joking, the angle doesn't make it less serious IMO.
I've read somewhere about this climb being filmed by a drone(???), not sure, though that would explain the absence of people when Alex is seen from behind, on the open shot.
curlyben 08 Feb 2014

Kkkk I just rewatched it on my phone upside down-its much easier on the eye.. and more slab like!
 Robert Durran 08 Feb 2014
In reply to curlyben:

> Kkkk I just rewatched it on my phone upside down-its much easier on the eye.. and more slab like!

Yes, much better and more realistic.
 Speed Reed 09 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Annoying cooments to say the least.It is obvious that the clmber and the production team are not choosing to embelish the whole subject matter.If you think that ,they are you are complete f!@£ w*^&@.The guy is a long way up on technically difficult terrain ...even if it is a slab.Hell!Isn't Dawes of Perception"just a slab?He has more talent and balls than 99.99999% of the vast majority of so called climbers on this site.Unfortunately couldn't resist placing a comment on this topic.To set a challenge I would suggest that those who have a negative view on Aklex Honnolds ascent on said route go and do it and then post on how it is just a slab.T@^%$£
 Robert Durran 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Speed Reed:

> Annoying comments to say the least. It is obvious that the clmber and the production team are not choosing to embelish the whole subject matter.If you think that ,they are you are complete f!@£ w*^&@.The guy is a long way up on technically difficult terrain ...even if it is a slab. Hell!Isn't Dawes of Perception"just a slab? He has more talent and balls than 99.99999% of the vast majority of so called climbers on this site. Unfortunately couldn't resist placing a comment on this topic.To set a challenge I would suggest that those who have a negative view on Aklex Honnolds ascent on said route go and do it and then post on how it is just a slab.T@^%$£

Oh dear..... You have completely and utterly and actually quite embarrassingly missed the point. Absolutely nobody is seeking to diminish the ascent; if anything, as somebody pointed out, if it's a slab of that grade then it's even more boggling than if it's steep. It would just be preferable to have a camera angle better reflecting the reality of the situation.
gritstoner 10 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I don't see the problem with the camera angle. As it is it's even a more natural climber's POV perspective. Like when I look fown at my feet. Just 500 times higher and a million times more amazing.
 Brass Nipples 10 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

A whole different level of physical and mental control. What a head game he can play.
 HP 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

I wish they would stop filming Honnold climbing solo. To me it feels like they're waiting to film his final fall.
 Adrian Berry Global Crag Moderator 13 Feb 2014
It is pretty plumb-line vertical, mostly around the French 7a+ mark, the crux pitch is probably about 7b+ and is technical and quite insecure as I recall. Of course, you could put some pads on the half-way ledge and you'd be OK for the first four or five metres of the 7th pitch...

Simonj 13 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Does anyone know what that crack line to the right (in first 30 seconds of the film) is called/or goes at?

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...