UKC

First Winter Munros walked alone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 russtyg 08 Feb 2014
Hi all,

I have a day next Friday (Valentines day) where I will be alone in Fort William. I would like to go out walking and I'm looking for some ideas for Munros for a newbie walking alone.

Obviously the choice will depend on weather and I will be keeping a keen eye on SAIS, so a few suggestions in the general Fort William area would be very welcome.

I have crampons, a walking axe, have done an alpine mountaineering course and I'm a solid navigator.

Also- if you fancy joining, let me know!

Cheers

Russ
 kwoods 08 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Loch Lochy Munros are a good bet as are the pairs on either side of Loch Treig. Or get the train to Corrour, easy going hills but not an area to get lost in

Kev
OP russtyg 09 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Awesome thanks for the suggestion. Any more for any more?
 Mark Bull 10 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Couple more suggestions:

Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean.
Beinn a'Bheithir.
Sgurr Eilde Mor
 brigsy 12 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

I'm stalking this thread. Bump for more great suggestions
Tim Chappell 12 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:
Plant a bike at the Aonach Mor car park. Drive to the top of Glen Nevis. Get the map out, and choose your route back to your bike. There are two obvious ways which pick you up two Munros each, and a third, slightly further east, which gets you one or more depending on inclination. These are all longish outings, so start early and don't leave your front light with the bike.

The bicycle: one of the finest pieces of hillwalking equipment known to humanity

But watch out when you're cycling tiredly back to your car along the A82--it bites.
Post edited at 09:08
 brigsy 12 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Ta. Don't think I will get my bike in the back of my car driving up though!
 Mark Bull 12 Feb 2014
In reply to brigsy:

You want more? OK:

Binnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean
Stob Choire a'Chairn and Am Bodach
Sgurr na h-Ulaidh
Buachaille Etive Beag
Beinn Teallach
 brigsy 12 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Thank you! Plenty to be getting on with there.
OP russtyg 12 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Nice one, cheers for the bump and suggestions!

Will see which will be possible this weekend with regards to the snow...
Jim C 12 Feb 2014
In reply to kwoods:

> Loch Lochy Munros are a good bet as are the pairs on either side of Loch Treig. Or get the train to Corrour, easy going hills but not an area to get lost in

> Kev

Corrour us great, Ben Na lap is really easy a high start and just a walk not a scramble , and also perhaps followed by the little Corbett Williams leap Leum Uilleim 909 , and back to the station.hard to get lost on them , and I quite fancy it myself, alas my outdoor life is rather constrained due to family illness commitments, or I would jump on the train too.
,( just 30 quid return for me to Corrour . )
scottsland99 20 Feb 2014
In reply to russtyg:

Book marking this thread! Cheers
 kwoods 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Sucks from the Central Belt! If already in the area I think a single Tulloch-Corrour is cheap.
In reply to russtyg:

I'd be slightly cautious about recommending the mamores suggestions or beinn a'bheither- some airy going which is straightforward but could be intimidating, especially if alone in less than ideal conditions.

The grey corries is awesome but long and remote, if you are fit and its a good day, it is one of the best days out on the hills that there is

The wee buachaille, the meggie munros, beinn a'chaorainn (watch out for the cornice between the two summits..), creise and meall a'bhuraidh are all good options

Cheers
Gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...